What's new

Pinto Beans...

Soak bean over night
Place in pot with water, onions, and ham
simmer 3-4 hours
serve with cornbread and hominy

Any left over beans will be used for bean cakes.

soak one cup of beans in cold water for 6-8 hours.

start boiling water with rinsed beans

saute some white or yellow onion and small tomato, peeled and chopped (it has to be fresh, not from a can). You can ad black pepper while sauteing. Ad the sauteed onion and tomato to the pot and wait until it boils.

ad some heat - I used to use Serrano peppers, but some hot sauces work great. My current favorite is Nando's Chickenland Peri-Peri sauce, extra hot.

cook in low heat for a couple of hours. Enjoy by itself or with rice. You can also make a great chicken bowl. All you need is some grilled chicken, diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro.

Some great suggestions. I need to try the Mexican oregano. I start with 2 lbs of beans soaked overnight. Rinsed and sorted. For cooking, one can each of chicken and beef broth (low sodium), and enough water to cover the beans. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 3 hours. At the end of 2 hours I add one large jalapeno pepper that I cut slits into, leaving in the seeds. Also add 3 green chili peppers that are finely diced and one red onion. Keep excess fluid to a minimum so that you have more of a soup. Depending on my mood, I will add bacon, fatback or kielbasa. Oh, 4 tablespoons of bacon grease. At 2.5 hours, add 2 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder. Once the beans are tender, salt and pepper to taste. Cornbread on the side. Half of the beans are turned into "refried" beans for tostados and burritos.

Randy

Top Bottom