What's new

pinning/unpinning tools

I am looking for recommendations for tools for pinning and unpinning razors. Also, sources of good scales seem hard to find.

I don't do a lot of unpinning, but when I do, assuming that I'm trying not to damage the scales, I put tape on the scales and use a file to remove the mushroom on the pin. For pinning I just use a small hammer and a polished block of steel as an anvil. Non of the tools that I use are specialized for pinning or unpinning.

My hammer is a 4 oz ball peen, but lighter would be better. Look at 'chasing hammers'.

Last edited:
I generally do the same as bluesman 7, however there are flush cutters that can be used. Either way can damage the scales if not careful. Pins can also be sawn off using a very fine blade on a jeweler's frame saw, you would cut on the inside between the blade shank and the scale.
The hammer I use is an inexpensive jeweler's hammer from Harbour Freight. I use a heavy steel channel for my anvil.

I use flush cutters for unpinning, but you do have to be very, very careful to avoid damage to the scales. I try to cut the mushroom off the backing washer rather than cut the washer off the scales. I'm considering getting the ball cutter Dremel bit to "drill" pins. But that has it's own drawbacks.

For pinning I use a large jeweler's anvil and a 2oz hammer.

Everything came from Amazon.
IMG_20190915_082023-01.jpeg

I have tried filling, drilling and flush cutter. Flush cutter works for me the best. One thing, use some tape over the razor so you don't scratch/damage the scales.
For pinning, small anvil and a Jewelers Chasing Hammer Half Dome.

I have found that a fret nipper from Stewart McDonald luthier supplies works great. They might be a tad expensive if you aren’t doing a ton of razors, though. I already had mine from building guitars.

I use a 1/16" sheet of brass from the hobby shop. Drill a hole the size of the washer and lay it across the scales. You can file off the old mushroom without damage to the scales. After filing, I can usually just pull the scales apart. No chance of scale damage.

Takes time, but a pin vice to drill out the pin is cheap and you can usually save the collars, which I like to do. A lot of the nicer decorative collars can't be replaced.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I always seem to break the scales when I'm trying to unpin...it never fails. I have so many reallly nice antique bone/horn scales just waiting to be shortened for a blade with a chip on the end that needs shortening. I hate doing it and just never get it right. Although, I haven't tried drilling them out as @Doc226 suggested. I'll give that a go next time. Ruining antique scales really breaks my heart and I just hate to even attempt it anymore.

I've successfully used double flush cutters for everything to date.

But this last time I tried a Dremel with an engraving bit (very small contact area) and then a smallish ball cutter bit. I was able to successfully "drill" out the flared pin and save the large ornamental washers under it. Kind of stressful though as a slip would have been catastrophic to the washers or scales and rotary tools like to "walk" a bit...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am looking for recommendations for tools for pinning and unpinning razors. Also, sources of good scales seem hard to find.

Nothing about fooling with scales and pins has been easy for me to learn. In other words, you're not alone if you find the learning curve difficult.

I've used Maggard's fairly cheap plastic scales. I've broken both them and scales I spent hours making during the pinning process, and, trust me, I was using the right tools and being careful. It's not easy (until it is).

I use a 1/16" sheet of brass from the hobby shop. Drill a hole the size of the washer and lay it across the scales. You can file off the old mushroom without damage to the scales. After filing, I can usually just pull the scales apart. No chance of scale damage.

Nice idea.

I use flush cutters for unpinning, but you do have to be very, very careful to avoid damage to the scales. I try to cut the mushroom off the backing washer rather than cut the washer off the scales. I'm considering getting the ball cutter Dremel bit to "drill" pins. But that has it's own drawbacks.

For pinning I use a large jeweler's anvil and a 2oz hammer.

Everything came from Amazon.

What is the ball cutter Dremel bit?

Here's a link to a little tool I use when finishing the pins. It helps smooth out any rough edges.

1570409979693.png

I got the idea for this from another member. The particular tool size I use is the 3mm. It's a bit too large so I filed the end down on flat sandpaper (which was easy as pie). It works a treat.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just drill out the pin.

For repinning, I drilled a tiny indent on the corner of the anvil part of my vice, and center the pin in that as i tappa-tappa with a very light (and very polished) ball peen hammer

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just drill out the pin.

For repinning, I drilled a tiny indent on the corner of the anvil part of my vice, and center the pin in that as i tappa-tappa with a very light (and very polished) ball peen hammer

Do you use a drill press?

I ask because I've tried drilling with other drills (I have no drill press) and found I just ruined the scales. If there's a good way to drill 'em without a drill press I'm missing the instructions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom