What's new

Pink razor

I purchased a red tip ss off of ebay a week ago and I got it in the mail today. It needed cleaning so I boiled it in water and vinegar for 30 minutes. I was too impatient to get on B&B and ask for tips on how to clean it! My razor turned pink, damn it! I will still use it because I have wanted to try a red tip for a long time. Does anyone know if I can get it back to it's normal color?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that my friend. At least it is still functional, and you have a very personalized piece.

You are not the first guy this has happened to, it has happened here before, and you can do a great service for others if you chime in when you see people advocating boiling their razors.
Generally all you need is some scrubbing bubbles.

Eventually, if it remains as it is you can choose to just use it as is, or get it replated.

I purchased a red tip ss off of ebay a week ago and I got it in the mail today. It needed cleaning so I boiled it in water and vinegar for 30 minutes. I was too impatient to get on B&B and ask for tips on how to clean it! My razor turned pink, damn it! I will still use it because I have wanted to try a red tip for a long time. Does anyone know if I can get it back to it's normal color?

Matt, You gave it the brassed look. Vinegar sometimes does that when it reacts with the metal. It'll fade over time. Next time if you boil just use water only. Also welcome to B&B.

Clayton

I've seen posts about what color paint to use. Try a search or maybe someone will chime in with that info.

Thanks for your comments, I thought maybe the red paint off the tip was too blame. I still plan on using it, but I will not feel as manly with it being pink.

If you're looking to repaint just the red tip, give Krylon International Harvester red spray paint a try. Others on this board have sworn that it is an exact match for the original paint. If it's the whole razor, though, I'm afraid that I don't have a solution for you. Sorry for your loss.

You see,what you have there is the rare Flare-tip Lady Gillette in pink, you now need light and dark blue and champagne to complete the set.

Thanks for your comments, I thought maybe the red paint off the tip was too blame. I still plan on using it, but I will not feel as manly with it being pink.

Be THE man. It's in your bathroom, not like you are going to work in a salmon shirt with a matching tie! Be secure in your manliness!

That is an amazingly even color for such an event.

Phil

You can post it online and sell it as a limited edition pink tip. Tell them there are only 10 made in the world {buahahahaha}................. I'm only kidding of course :blink:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Flitz, MAAS or Blue Magic polish.
Blue Magic works quite well and is available at most automotive stores like AutoZone.

The pink isn't paint color from the red tip, it's the chemical reaction from the acid in the vinegar and the brass base metal of the razor.
The nickel plating on these is pretty thin to begin with.

Who knows, It may fade, but I suspect that all the polish in the world isn't going to turn it silver again, you'll wear off the nickel before the pink goes.

I know guys who have nickle handguns too. you have to be carefull with the finish. The Dow Bathroom Cleaner "Scrubbing Bubbles" really does a nice job of keeping your razor clean and good looking.:thumbup:

Top Bottom