What's new

Pink Floyd Lives

For those among you who are still Pink Floyd -- and Roger Waters fans, you might enjoy this online interview. He is going to begin his US tour in September in Chicago. You can see his entire tour schedule linking from here.

I am particularly interested since one of my sons tours with the group -- on the tech side, not as a musician. He was on their world tour several years ago and is looking forward to getting together with them this time around also.

They filled stadiums in Lima, Peru and Bueno Aires, Argentina -- 35-45,000 fans! They still provide an incredible concert and performance.

I think it's fabulous that your son gets to tech on that tour--if I were doing it I'd probably get electrocuted drooling all over the keyboards!

However, it's a bit disappointing that Waters is rolling out "The Wall" again. It's an album that does not improve with age. And seeing Waters without Gilmour is like seeing Mick Jagger without Keif. Not so interesting.

Jeff in Boston

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Since I saw all four East coast performances of The Wall the first time around in 1980, I have little interest.

Now if he were playing Amused to Death in its entirety........

ouch

Wow...that is impressive. :thumbup1:

Three of those times within the first ten rows, including second and fourth row dead center, no less. Good shows.

I thought the highlights were the surrogate band opening, the extended version of What Shall We Do Now, Roger singing Nobody Home while sprawled out on a lounge chair, Waiting for the Worms, and The Trial.

The best thing that ever happened for Floyd fans was the band's breakup. People forget that when they were together, they would only tour every few years. After the breakup, the bickering translated into more renditions of their classics than anyone would have dreamed possible. Who would have thought that Dave would bring Fat Old Sun, Wots...uh the Deal, or Atom Heart Mother to the stage again?

However, it's a bit disappointing that Waters is rolling out "The Wall" again.

This has something to do with the terms of the divorce between Waters and the rest of the band.

Rights to the name, back catalogue etc.

Waters owns the rights to The Wall outright. The rest of the music I'm not sure what the deal is and how much of it he is allowed to play live.

I'm sorry, but watching David Gilmour or Roger Waters play Pink Floyd songs is like watching the best cover band on Earth. It sounds great. The show is great, but it's not Pink Floyd. It's been done before. I'd rather see them playing new material than recycling entire concept albums.

I was at the Tuesday show in Chicago this week. It was incredible.

The projection technology used is absolutely jaw-dropping. I'm already looking into seeing the show again in another city.

There is no way you can leave this show feeling you didn't get your money's worth.

ouch

I just tried to get tickets. $277. No thanks, I'll listen to the albums.

I think I paid less than that for the four 1980 Wall shows and the four 1977 Animals shows, combined. And I'm pretty sure the seats you were looking at weren't nearly as good as the ones I had.

I recall the second row seat for the Animals tour at MSG was $10.50.

I think I paid less than that for the four 1980 Wall shows and the four 1977 Animals shows, combined. And I'm pretty sure the seats you were looking at weren't nearly as good as the ones I had.

I recall the second row seat for the Animals tour at MSG was $10.50.

That was SEAT - singular, as in one ticket. :lol:

EMS almost had to come. They were listed as loge seats at the Garden.

I think it's fabulous that your son gets to tech on that tour--if I were doing it I'd probably get electrocuted drooling all over the keyboards!

However, it's a bit disappointing that Waters is rolling out "The Wall" again. It's an album that does not improve with age. And seeing Waters without Gilmour is like seeing Mick Jagger without Keif. Not so interesting.

Jeff in Boston

Not to **** in anyone's soup but I wholeheartedly agree. The Wall has not aged well. I'll take the Final Cut over The Wall anyday. It's far more real, dealing with more concrete issues, and it still rocks which is the ultimate goal of any rock album. I love the Floyd but to me, the Wall comes off as bloated. Especially when placed against the real old stuff with Syd. But that was a different band.

ouch

Not to **** in anyone's soup but I wholeheartedly agree. The Wall has not aged well. I'll take the Final Cut over The Wall anyday. It's far more real, dealing with more concrete issues, and it still rocks which is the ultimate goal of any rock album. I love the Floyd but to me, the Wall comes off as bloated. Especially when placed against the real old stuff with Syd. But that was a different band.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_6PhexCMow[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPzPoSxha8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Anything from Amused to Death? If not, I wouldn't be interested.

No, it's the Wall and nothing but the Wall. No encore...no opening act.

I just tried to get tickets. $277. No thanks, I'll listen to the albums.

There were plenty of $65 and $85 tickets at the Chicago shows. That cost INCLUDES the ticketmaster fees and taxes. Of course they are not close, but IMO being close is not a requirement to enjoying such a large production (see photos below)

Agree and disagree. I agree that TFC is a more serious album dealing with more issues in a direct and effective manner. I disagree that the Wall is "bloated". What the wall has is more entertainment value. It is theater. (I love both albums)

Here are some cruddy photos from the show last Tuesday (sorry, they are from my phone).

My son flies the pig! Among other things. The show is selling out in all the venues so far, reaches Boston this coming Thursday, September 30 -- finishes N America in Mexico City -- then picks up in Madrid in mid-March. Each to their own -- obviously...

Top Bottom