What's new

Pinaud smells like a baby's butt

I LOVE Clubman! I use the aftershave and powder daily, and have put my other aftershaves at the back of the cabinet. I didn't like clubman the first time I used it, but I have grown to love it. Please try it again!

Wow I didn't expect three pages of replies on this. Thanks though, a lot of useful info. And thank you for the welcome. Based on what some of you suggested, I will try Aqua Velva next time.

But let me say this. After I shaved today, with a new razor, and applied a little of Clubman, it actually smelled alright and it didn't burn that much. I came from using a Gillette aftershave (which I apply generously) to this stuff which said lotion so I assumed it would just cool the skin, so it was my mistake that I put on too much which smelled too powdery and burned. Lesson learned.

I'm in my late 20s so I don't know what barbershops used to smell like, but it doesn't smell like the lotion that my barber puts on the back of my neck. Maybe I should ask him next time, that stuff does smell better than Clubman though.

Oh man... I think you're right. I bought my bottle of Stetson at Wal-mart about 6 months ago, but I'm not seeing much out there any more, at least on the 'net. I better find some place that has stock and buy up! Don't you hate it when you find something you like and it goes extinct on you? Oh well.

I didn't know that they still made this ... I thought it was discontinued

+4, +5, +6 ...... for Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla!

Jack honestly, before you jump to any conclusions about the Clubman line, please do yourself a favor and pick up some Classic Vanilla. I did as my first encounter with the Pinaud Clubman line and I have to tell you it's an instant addiction. I've since put in an order for ever aftershave/cologne Pinaud makes. Original Clubman, Lilac Vegetal, Virgin Island Bay Rum, Musk, Special Reserve, Lime Sec Eau de Cologne, Citrus Musk Eau de Cologne, and a second bottle of Classic Vanilla. That's the result of my love affair with Classic Vanilla! On a side note, Pinaud also makes three different Hair Tonics you may want to look into at some point. Just thought I'd mention it.

The thing you have to understand is, the powdery "baby's butt" scent you refer to is what Clubman fans expect, and love about the brand. As others have said, give it a few tries and you very well might find that it grows on you. :wink2: Yes it does burn at first but I'm glad to see you've realized a little bit does the trick. Personally I like the burn and for me it only lasts a literal minute or two. One bit of advise I can offer you is (assuming you don't already know) that when you're applying any aftershave splash, only rub your hands in a downward motion. Don't smooth up, or in circles, or any other direction for that matter. Just keep it simple and smooth down. Down the cheeks. Down the neck. And you're all good. :wink2:

If you want to try something that ( to me ) has a different lighter scent, but that is very nice and has some cooling effect to it. Try Proraso aftershave splash! It has Menthol and Eucalyptus and is popular and for good reason. I use it quite often.

Oh and remember. Enjoy the path of discover! Finding what you like and what works for you is empowering.

Last edited:
The thing with aftershaves is that your mileage will DEFINITELY vary. We all have different tastes and I am convinced that different afterhsaves react differently to different people.

I LOVE Clubman original. Reminds me of the old barber shop. I have recently started seeing a young lady, she doesnt seem to mind at all, so I have an winning combo.

I went through several brands. I have all the bottles to prove it. My thing was, I needed to wear it a day or so to see if I really liked the scent on me. My current rotation is Clubman Original, Clubman Bay Rum, Old Spice and City Ryhthms. I use Osage rub under the clubman.

But in the closet are bottles of AV Blue and AV Ice, Masters Bay rum, and Clubman Special Reserve. I will keep those, but they didnt make the cut into the rotation.

So to each their own, and YMMV!

EDIT: Ill add this... Clubman Special Reserve gets some good posts here... that one just didnt do it for me at all. I dont detect the scents that others do. So again... YMMV.

Last edited:
The thing with aftershaves is that your mileage will DEFINITELY vary. We all have different tastes and I am convinced that different afterhsaves react differently to different people.

I LOVE Clubman original. Reminds me of the old barber shop. I have recently started seeing a young lady, she doesnt seem to mind at all, so I have an winning combo.

I went through several brands. I have all the bottles to prove it. My thing was, I needed to wear it a day or so to see if I really liked the scent on me. My current rotation is Clubman Original, Clubman Bay Rum, Old Spice and City Ryhthms. I use Osage rub under the clubman.

But in the closet are bottles of AV Blue and AV Ice, Masters Bay rum, and Clubman Special Reserve. I will keep those, but they didnt make the cut into the rotation.

So to each their own, and YMMV!

EDIT: Ill add this... Clubman Special Reserve gets some good posts here... that one just didnt do it for me at all. I dont detect the scents that others do. So again... YMMV.

Me either.

to minimize the burn, i apply a little jack black cooling gel first. then pour the clubman in my palms, rub them together for 5 seconds, hold the palms open facing up for another second then apply to the face with the downward rubbing technique mentioned above. minimal if any burn.

I absolutely love the stuff and have used it for years! I have the classic, bay rum, lilac vegetal, & special reserve. I love the brief burn it gives you after a shave!

Count me as a Clubman fan. I love them all--classic, mature scents.

Tonight I tried one that I've had for a while and never used: Club Royale. I've never seen it for sale, I'm thinking it's been discontinued.

Anyone out there tried it or know anything about Club Royale?

Clubman is great and has many great scents to choose from...reminds me of the barbershop...simple, inexpensive, good history. Wish we still had original Shulton Old Spice.

The key is to put a couple of drops or three on wet hands while your face is still wet and rub your hands and apply it.That not only mellows out the scent,but reduces the fiery burn.Thats the way Ive been doing it for years.It dries down to a pretty nice mellow clean scent.

Im full on, dry face, dry hands... a few drops, rub together and apply.

Just love the barbershop smell.

All I use is the special reserve and bay rum, I love them both. The burn explained by the op is baffling to me, I have never gotten that before.

I say you go with an alcohol-free AS or balm, instead of rubbing stinging alcohol into your skin that was just damaged from shaving. There are many out there. The reviews in here are your best reference.

Top Bottom