What's new

Pinaud Lime Sec, Where's the Beef?

AFTERSHAVE REVIEW:
Pinaud Lime Sec After Shave Lotion

COST PER OUNCE:
A 12.5 fl oz container runs from 9 to 12 dollars depending on where you shop for your facial pampering items. My purchase was through Amazon for just under $9.00.

ABOUT:
One of many Ed Pinaud odiferous aftershave options available to fine consumers everywhere, Lime sec is described as "a zesty fougere fragrance with a top note of lime. The floral middle note of Clubman Pinaud Lime Sec is blended with musk and exotic woods." So says their website, but I say different. It also states that it "Cools and refreshes... Soothes tender skin... Leaves skin smooth and comfortable...". To those points, I absolutely agree!

PROS:
It cools & refreshes, while at the same time smooths tender skin, leaving skin smooth & comfortable. There you have it, because when it comes to the Lime Sec part, you'll get that for maybe an hour. Could it be that I was expecting too much after my Ed Pinaud Clubman journey perhaps? (See CONS)

CONS:
Clara Peller was a little grey haired lady who rose to stardom after her famous Wendy's commercial line of "where's the beef?". If Clara were to star in an Ed Pinaud Lime Sec commercial, today she might be saying, "Where's the Lime?"
It's certainly there, just like that tiny beef patty was back in that 1984 commercial. It also left me wondering where the lime went after about an hour. It was no where to be found on my face, but instead, had been replaced with what I, and my wife can only describe as a soap smell. When I pressed my wife further for a description on what she described as a soap odor, her reply was, "soapy soap, but not in a bad way." Like clean linen, I replied?, "Nope, just soap."
When I first applied the aftershave, the lime was definitely there, but faded very quickly, leaving that soapy soap smell for a few more hours. After that, it was pretty much gone for me. What it does for your face, in my humble opinion, is not a con however, so we shall discuss that in the FINAL THOUGHTS section.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
So here we are, $9.00 later, and a pretty full plastic bottle of green facial splash. Just like my experience with Ed Pinaud Clubman, which I dearly love by the way, Lime Sec leaves my face with a soft, pampered feel. It lacks any type of irritation, so I'm never afraid to splash away. Even though the lime is ever so fleeting, and I never did find those darn musk or exotic wood scents, it's a pretty good aftershave. If your looking for a longer lasting lime odor, these are not the droids you're looking for. On the other hand, if it's a nice soap finish that is not over the top that's your pleasure, this is the bottle for you!

Seeing as I talked my friend Ron into purchasing the Ed Pinaud Special Reserve, to which he is now frightened of, I may see if he's interested in a bottle swap. That way, we can both expand our Ed Pinaud pallets, and I can attempt to draw out the spirit world while Ron searches for limes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
I've never found a lime fragrance that had staying power. I dearly love Captain's Choice and Avon Island Lime, but again they just have the initial lime blast that fades quickly into obscurity.

If you like the Lime Sec, then try the Citrus Musk next. It shares that "soapy" smell after it dries down, and I find it has better longevity. Lime scents (citrus scents in general, really) are usually pretty fleeting from any AS. Pinaud's lasts the longest of the ones I've tried.

If you like mixing your aftershaves to play around with scent profiles, both the Lime Sec and Citrus Musk are great for adding some lime flavor to your AS. For example, Bay Rums and Old Spice are both great with a bit of lime kicked in. Very "summer-ey".

I love anything soapy, and as my Pinaud collection has stood at four types for a few years now, I think it's time to expand a little..

Coincidentally, I'm wearing the Citrus Musk right now, with a little bit of Lime Sec mixed in to sweeten it up a bit.

(I also like to add a few drops of Aqua Velva Musk with the Citrus Musk when I want to kick up the "musk" factor).

I have a sample of the Pinaud Lime Sec that I still need to try. It is interesting that the lime wears off so quickly. I actually cut my Clubman with Witch Hazel due to sheer strong staying power of the AS. One would assume other Pinaud products would have similar staying power.

Just by a quick sniff test from the bottle, the lime is very pronounced and apparent.

When you say "soapy-soap", I immediately think of an Arko shaving stick. That isn't the worst thing in the world to smell like, but I understand the disappointment in the transformation from pronounced citrusy lime scent to merely...soap.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Citrus just fades fast ... yet Lime Sec is a great product, especially if you add a little glycerin - which may also make the scent linger a little longer.

AA

I agree the lime scent is short lived in Pinaud's Lime Sec. But I still really like it for the summer. As the OP stated, it leaves my face with that pampered smooth moisturized feeling. Much like original Pinaud Clubman. Lime Sec is a keeper for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lime is beautiful to me, but always fleeting. That's just the nature of lime oil. Kinda special that way.....

Lime Sec doesn't have the staying power of Citrus Musk. Both are very similar and I like them both. Lime Sec does have a stronger lime scent. But if I had to pick 1 it would be Citrus Musk. It has a very clean, citrusy scent.

Lime Sec doesn't have the staying power of Citrus Musk. Both are very similar and I like them both. Lime Sec does have a stronger lime scent. But if I had to pick 1 it would be Citrus Musk. It has a very clean, citrusy scent.

Damn you enablers. That is one of the few Pinaud Clubmans that I don't have. Now I'm going to have to get it. When my wife gets around to throwing me out, I'll be sitting on the front lawn surrounded by lots of shaving gear. At least the Pinaud Clubmans all come in plastic bottles. I'm good then.

I'm working an a couple of scenarios to home brew a lime A/S that smells stronger and lasts longer. The chemist in me id just fighting to get out!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm working an a couple of scenarios to home brew a lime A/S that smells stronger and lasts longer. The chemist in me id just fighting to get out!
Let that Chemist out! Lime for some reason is my absolute favorite scent. Too bad I live in Michigan!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Excellent review. You nailed it. To me its much more enjoyable compared to the veg. I added menthol and glycerine to my !ime.

Terrific review! For me the Pinaud line up is terrific and a great value (with the exception of the Veg)!

The great thing about Clubman is they make those little sample bottles in every scent they make. The same bottles that you see at the checkout counter of most all liquor stores filled with your favorite whisky, gin etc. These Pinaud samples are only a few dollars, they are what you guys should consider buying before committing to the bigger bottles.

These Pinaud samples are only a few dollars, they are what you guys should consider buying before committing to the bigger bottles.

No, no, no! With Mr. Pinaud's offerings, one must go all in. No dipping of the toe to test the water. Boldness is rewarded! :badger:

Top Bottom