What's new

Pinaud Clubman

I'm a big fan of Fines aftershaves. My favorite is the American Blend which is sorta old mannish I guess (then again, so am I). But the Platinum is very good and a more modern scent.

The first time I opened a bottle of Clubman I didn't like it, but after forcing myself to use it a couple times I found that it grows on you. Now I love it! Still not a big fan of Pinaud Special Reserve though.

I personally find the initial smell coming off of the alcohol to be... not good, but once that dries down, I love the Pinaud stuff. Clubman was my first, and it took me by surprise, "Hey, this stuff stinks." and 30 minutes later, I was splashing on some more.

Maybe I'll order just a sample size of it and give it another try....after all o didnt really give it much of a chance

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Maybe I'll order just a sample size of it and give it another try....after all o didnt really give it much of a chance

If you do get a sample of it, I would like to suggest that you get a sample of the Vanilla, as well. Maybe some would still call it old-fashioned, but it's less "barbershop" and a bit more on the spicy (-ish)/ masculine cologne side of things. On me, it doesn't project for very long, but there is a really nice lingering scent that stays close to the skin for quite a while.

And for something completely different, get yourself a sample of Citrus Musk. It's more citrus than musk, and it has great longevity for a citrusy scent.

Oh, and try a sample of the Virgin Island Bay Rum.

While you're at it, the Lilac Vegetal is something quite special. :devil2:

Clubman takes a bit to settle. Not saying it's for everyone but I try and put it on at least an hour before I walk out the door other wise my clients wouldn't be my clients anymore. After that it's faint and powdery and who doesn't want that?

So I was at Walgreens today and noticed they had Pinaud Clubman I have heard great things so I picked up a bottle....yeah its been returned already I could not stand the smell, and I hardly think my girlfriend wants me smelling like a 80 year old man...what are some other good aftershaves that don't remind you of mothballs and werthers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There is always the line-up from Axe ..........
:001_tt2:

Hey guys, I love this thread. I too kinda feel the same way about saying anything bad about clubman, as it seems to be a favorite for most wet shavers. The scent is not so bad. It's actually not bad at all, but I find it hard to see how so many of you LOVE it when there's soooooo many other amazing aftershaves out there with all types of great ingredients and scent profiles. I guess this really reminds me that scent is super subjective. I just can't really find a reason to pick up a bottle of clubman, or any of the other inexpensive aftershaves that are readily found in Walgreen's and cvs, my loss i suppose.

Also, clubman sells large samples of clubman and all of their aftershaves directly on their website. Clubman After Shave & Cologne (Travel-Sample, 1.7 oz)

Personally, I love the scent of Pinaud Clubman! What's wrong with smelling like an old man? My wife, however, the one with the sensitive nose, complains it gives her instant headaches...so I can only wear it when she is out of town. And when she is out of town -- watch out -- I slap it on until it's dripping off my chin like chicken grease on wing night. I love to hum with the sweet fragrance.

Someone doesn't like Clubman?!?!

Lol good thing there are a ton of other aftershaves and fragrances out there to try. That's one of the great things about this hobby. There is something out there for everyone, and if you don't like what you've purchased it is almost guaranteed that someone else will.

@kmike20, are there any particular colognes or scents that you prefer? I'll agree with one of the posters about Fine aftershaves. They are very good and I haven't smelled one that I don't love yet, but there are an almost ridiculous number of choices between artisan and bigger name manufacturers, and if you toss out some scent suggestions I'm sure we can help you narrow your search for something that suits you better.

I hadn't used it for 20+ years and got re-exposed to it over the weekend at the shower in the health club. I forgot how much I loved the stuff, so I'm back in with both feet. I'm using the "classic" scent, and just ordered a bottle of the Lime Sec.

I for one appreciate these negative reception threads about a product, because it balances out all the threads on this forum of people gushing about a product they love. Nothing wrong with that, but for a place of discussion to be interesting and have anything worth truly talking about or discussing, there needs to be negative opinion threads as well as all the positive ones.

I love the Pinaud line. In first place is a tie between Special Reserve and Clubman, tied for 3rd is The Veg and Vanilla, Lime Sec comes next, then Citrus Musk, then Musk and finally the bay rum. those are the only ones I've tried.

My problem with Clubman is that it lasts WAY too long. Love the first few hours, and then my nose gets sick of the smell. Skin feel is actually quite good. SR seems better in this regard but is still very long lasting.

I guess I'm not among the chosen.

I should note that I seem to have that problem with almost any aftershave that lingers too long. Fine American is also a problem for me. It's one of the reasons I like the Captain's Choice line; after 4 hours or so, they've dried down to the point where I'm only getting the occasional whiff and it's not embedding itself in everything within a 6ft radius.

My problem with Clubman is that it lasts WAY too long. Love the first few hours, and then my nose gets sick of the smell. Skin feel is actually quite good. SR seems better in this regard but is still very long lasting.

I guess I'm not among the chosen.

I should note that I seem to have that problem with almost any aftershave that lingers too long. Fine American is also a problem for me. It's one of the reasons I like the Captain's Choice line; after 4 hours or so, they've dried down to the point where I'm only getting the occasional whiff and it's not embedding itself in everything within a 6ft radius.
Have you tried Proraso? It's my go to for fleeting aftershave with a great scent that will not linger. Another great one in this realm is Pinaud Eau de Portugal. It smells like freshly peeled oranges and is gone in seconds. It's a hair tonic, but works and feels great as an aftershave.

Top Bottom