What's new

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve and Vanilla performance?

I’d be a feared for my life if I met an old lady that smells like Special Reserve!

I love original Clubman, and Vanilla is OK. Citrus Musk is light and fruity if that’s your thing. Special Reserve is just too much of something........or everything.

The three Special AS’s based on hard liquor all smell great however.

Special Reserve smells like an old lady's purse. How that's masculine I don't know. Maybe like, you know, an "Alpha" old lady's purse not one of those "beta" blue hair's purses. Like the kind of old lady who stakes claim to 3 chairs down at the Legion on bingo night.
:lol:
Wishing ... I'd written this.:a14:

Seinfeld could use you. Or maybe Kramer? :001_07:

Bootlegger's El Dorado...
Hey Okie ... can you clarify on the English Leather for the el Dorado mix... confusing as to which form.

Wondering though ... seems to violate Bootlegger rule of ... "affordable", from what I've seen.

Can you help me to get squared away, pls.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hey Okie ... can you clarify on the English Leather for the el Dorado mix... confusing as to which form.

Not sure I follow what you're asking?

Wondering though ... seems to violate Bootlegger rule of ... "affordable", from what I've seen.

From what you have seen as of late? Or many weeks ago, before the Dana company decided to discontinue it?

If it was before, you could find bottles of it still in stock at Walmart for 7 bucks and some change. Not only did it not violate the rule of "affordable" but it was actually, the epitome of affordable for a quality aftershave as English Leather is.

Now that it has recently been discontinued, the places where it's price is still reasonably cheap, are out of stock. Places where they still have some? Not so much.

Can you help me to get squared away, pls.

You're best bet is probably scouring all your local brick & mortars that might still have some back stock at their former prices. Here is a link to Amazon, for a bottle with a $60 price tag?

https://www.amazon.com/English-Leat...1-4&keywords=english+leather+after+shave&th=1

The same day I read about it's discontinuance here, I went right out that day and acquired 8 bottles. That should hold me over for a little while.

Not sure I follow what you're asking?

From what you have seen as of late? Or many weeks ago, before the Dana company decided to discontinue it?

If it was before, you could find bottles of it still in stock at Walmart for 7 bucks and some change. Not only did it not violate the rule of "affordable" but it was actually, the epitome of affordable for a quality aftershave as English Leather is.

Now that it has recently been discontinued, the places where it's price is still reasonably cheap, are out of stock. Places where they still have some? Not so much.

Thanks Okie! You are a terrific font of knowledge, much appreciated by a struggling novice.

What I know ... I enjoy the "leather" scent, and trying to discover, discern option(s) that might be good possibilities for me on this. Very much appreciate your experience, insights, and kind, generous help!

You're best bet is probably scouring all your local brick & mortars that might still have some back stock at their former prices. Here is a link to Amazon, for a bottle with a $60 price tag?

https://www.amazon.com/English-Leather-Dana-After-Shave/dp/B078Y86H4D/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1523687127&sr=1-4&keywords=english+leather+after+shave&th=1

The same day I read about it's discontinuance here, I went right out that day and acquired 8 bottles. That should hold me over for a little while.

I was not really impessed with Pinaud Clubman Vanilla. The scent was pleasant, but too subtle and fleeting. So, I dumped a sample vial of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood cologne into it. Now I have a very nice sweet vanilla-sandalwood aftershave with decent staying power. I wouldn't normally like a sweet smelling aftershave, but this works well.

I was not really impessed with Pinaud Clubman Vanilla. The scent was pleasant, but too subtle and fleeting. So, I dumped a sample vial of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood cologne into it. Now I have a very nice sweet vanilla-sandalwood aftershave with decent staying power. I wouldn't normally like a sweet smelling aftershave, but this works well.
Cool

I work in the chemical spill remediation industry and there have been several times that I've come home from work with the girlfriend telling me to shower because I smell like work. The last time this happened I had actually spent the day in the office never being exposed to any chemicals but the special reserve I had put on in the morning before work. My girlfriend hates this scent.

The scent reminds me of a garbage fire that was put out with old spice but in somewhat of a good way. It is definitely a scent that is polarizing.

Seriously, on what planet do elderly women and or their purses smell like SR ?
Lots of similies and metaphors in this forum but the old woman/SR makes the least amount of sense.

I usually suggest tapping into one's imagination to 'try' and understand what others are trying to infer. Let's not forget that we're trying to have fun here too. At the end of the day, some references will be lost to some people... so be it.

Performance means a lot of things to many people. To me, AS performance is mostly about immediate post-shave face-feel and the fragrance. On both counts I like CV but dislike the SR; for me - the face feel with SR is good, the scent is not. For CV - the frag is light, goes to skin-level in an hour or two at best. It's AS, not Cologne or EDT so it's not really supposed to hang and project. But it does what I want it to so I think the performance is very good. Someone else with different expectations will probably think differently.

For Tabac and SR - I don't get 'old lady purse' exactly - but I get the reference. To me, both are different but still both are reminscent of a back room in an ancient decaying Goodwill shop. It's a blend of rotting leathers, fabrics and materials mixed with detergent, perfumes and room deodorizers. Mix in a little insense, BO and possible cedar/pine paneling and you're good to go.
The 'old lady' part comes from, I think, imagining spinstery old women living alone in big old houses filled with stuffs that are in a simllar process of decay. I've been in a number of old homes that had that same 'feel' to them actually. Iv'e been in abandoned medical facilities and asylums that had similar fragrances wafting about also.

Of course, understanding the 'old lady' thing would infer that one had some experience with shopping in thrift shops, goodwills or flea markets. They would also need to have the same background connections and imaginations. Those that put 2+2 together here will get 4, those that don't will not. As they say - mileage varies.

Honestly, when I look at the house in 'Psycho' I can imagine that the hallways smell like SR or Tabac.
And no, for me, that is not a good thing, even thought I did like the movie.

@Gamma it just goes to show that YMMV is real.
I get NONE of those odors from Special Reserve. The initial hit is a little sweet followed by a medium Tobacco smell, like walking into a humidor at a tobacco shop. The dry down smell is typical Clubman powdery.
I'm feeling most of the people who rip SR and Tabac are the anti-smoking crowd. It's fine to be anti-smoking, we all have our prejudices. You didn't go down that road but you sure did a good job making the scent seem like the most disgusting scent ever. I'd reserve that for The Veg, but of course YMMV.

@Gamma it just goes to show that YMMV is real.
I get NONE of those odors from Special Reserve.

Not everyone smells everything the same way. Often, many people sense the same things totally differently. I used to smoke Dunhill 301, one neighbor thought it smelled like apples, I did not. No one else did either. That's just how it is.

I do not find SR or Tabac to be disgusting though, and I did not write that I thought so. If someone's impression of my description leads someone to think that - it's on them, not me, because that is not what I wrote. I actually like going into goodwill shops, and visiting old homes - I just don't want to smell like them. Similarly, I love the smell of a pot roast cooking, but I don't want to smell like that either.

SR has a stale burnt kind of odor to my nose. Not a "nice" scent, but I like it. It has really good staying power as well.
I mix it with Avon Oland - which is deep and dark in its own way - and get a nice smokey blend that starts Oland-ish and then lasts like SR. :a14:

I picked up an 8oz bottle of English Leather AS yesterday for my local Drugstore. It was $27 Canadian tax in. I did use my 6oz 177ml bottles of SR and Vanilla once each and didn't care much for either. Now I have a 15oz 442ml of bootlegger El Dorado. Oh, and also made me some Green Freeze which I will use today. 90F today. Thank-you OkieStubble.

OkieStubble

I picked up an 8oz bottle of English Leather AS yesterday for my local Drugstore. It was $27 Canadian tax in. I did use my 6oz 177ml bottles of SR and Vanilla once each and didn't care much for either. Now I have a 15oz 442ml of bootlegger El Dorado. Oh, and also made me some Green Freeze which I will use today. 90F today. Thank-you OkieStubble.

Just seen this. You are welcome my friend! :)

Temperatures are rising and it will soon be time to pull out the Bootlegger's Green Freeze again!

Just seen this. You are welcome my friend! :)

Temperatures are rising and it will soon be time to pull out the Bootlegger's Green Freeze again!
I often reach for El Dorado. I'm thinking of transferring it to thinner bottle. Nice label design.
1957 Red Tip : El Darado.jpg

OkieStubble

I often reach for El Dorado. I'm thinking of transferring it to thinner bottle. Nice label design.View attachment 1090617

Yeah, looks like you need a bottle with an orifice reducer. Empty hot sauce bottles are perfect for that. I wouldn't want to waste any, trying to pour it out from a wide mouth bottle. :) The credit for the awesome and many different Bootlegger's labels goes to the Vez2.

Top Bottom