What's new

Pinaud Clubman - it simply works

It's my favorite scent but unfortunately for some reason it irritates my face out of nowhere. It's never done that. I'll slap some on when I don't shave just for the scent to avoid irritation.

That scent though.... that's the smell from when I got haircuts as a small child. Fantastic scent.

I generally prefer witch hazel but picked up a bottle of Pinaud Clubman and used it this morning for the first time. I bought it on a whim because it was cheap. I can't speak to how well it works yet but oh boy that smell brought me back to being a little kid at the barber shop. I really dig the scent. Now I just need to add cigarette smoke, coffee and old newspaper smells to complete the illusion of the barbershop I went to growing up.
It's funny that you mention cigarette smoke. The first time I used Clubman my wife asked me if I had started smoking.

It's funny that you mention cigarette smoke. The first time I used Clubman my wife asked me if I had started smoking.

I’m 49. My dad never smoked but when he came back from the barber when I was a kid he smelled like Clubman and cigarette smoke. It’s also the first thing that flashed through my mind when I took the first sniff of the bottle. I remember smoky barbershops along with overcooked coffee and musty newspapers/magazines. I absolutely understand why she’d ask you. I haven’t been to a barbershop or salon in over 16 years. Do they still allow smoking?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like and use a number of the Pinaud Clubman scents.

Lilac Vegetal, Clubman, Special Reserve, Vanilla, Whiskey Woods, VIBR are favorites. Can't neglect to mention the Clubman branded Osage Rub and Draggon.

Also the @OkieStubble Bootlegger's formulations (El Dorado is a huge favorite) are majority Pinaud Clubman product.

YMMV :)
Forgot to list Citrus Musk, Lime Sec and Musk.

Great stuff! :)

I like and use a number of the Pinaud Clubman scents.

Lilac Vegetal, Clubman, Special Reserve, Vanilla, Whiskey Woods, VIBR are favorites. Can't neglect to mention the Clubman branded Osage Rub and Draggon.

Also the @OkieStubble Bootlegger's formulations (El Dorado is a huge favorite) are majority Pinaud Clubman product.

YMMV :)
Forgot to list Citrus Musk, Lime Sec and Musk.

Great stuff! :)

I was just browsing on Amazon and I had no idea of how many Pinaud aftershaves that there are. I have only used Clubman and I do like it. Since you have used so many different ones, could you try to rank them in your order of preference? Also, since I am pumping you for information, could you tell me your thoughts on each one as to scent and staying power of the scents? Lastly, it seems that Lilac Vegetal is very polarizing, do you have any idea why that is?

You didn’t ask me but I thought it would be fun to take this survey.

1 Whiskey Woods A smoky woody with a little tobacco scent. just a great all a rounder.
2 Lime Sec a great citrus but short lived
3 Special Reserve A woody resinous leathery scent very strong and long lasting. I’d say the 2nd most polarizing scent of pinaud.
4 Citrus Musk Nice citrus, powdery and with musk that I’m not keen on. Longer lasting than lime sec
5 Clubman a classic
6 Virgin island bay rum good scent that doesn’t last on me
7 Musk Similar to original clubman but sweeter to me

Lilac vegital I did not like this one at all, flowery, powdery and something else I can’t put my finger on. Fairly strong scent.

You didn’t ask me but I thought it would be fun to take this survey.

1 Whiskey Woods A smoky woody with a little tobacco scent. just a great all a rounder.
2 Lime Sec a great citrus but short lived
3 Special Reserve A woody resinous leathery scent very strong and long lasting. I’d say the 2nd most polarizing scent of pinaud.
4 Citrus Musk Nice citrus, powdery and with musk that I’m not keen on. Longer lasting than lime sec
5 Clubman a classic
6 Virgin island bay rum good scent that doesn’t last on me
7 Musk Similar to original clubman but sweeter to me

Lilac vegital I did not like this one at all, flowery, powdery and something else I can’t put my finger on. Fairly strong scent.
Thanks! I was thinking of trying a different one for variety. I was leaning towards Special Reserve but as you say it is controversial. It looks like Whiskey Woods might be my best choice for variety. I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Thanks! I was thinking of trying a different one for variety. I was leaning towards Special Reserve but as you say it is controversial. It looks like Whiskey Woods might be my best choice for variety. I haven't heard anything bad about it.
Happy to help, this is just my opinion so take it for what it’s worth. All are around $6 for a sample size so get a couple and see. W.W. is a fairly recent aftershave so there will be fewer reviews on it, so keep that in mind.

Happy to help, this is just my opinion so take it for what it’s worth. All are around $6 for a sample size so get a couple and see. W.W. is a fairly recent aftershave so there will be fewer reviews on it, so keep that in mind.
Actually I just ordered WW, SR and Lime Sec off of Amazon. I have some Lime soap that I have a balm for but it's scent strength is low. I know Lime for a sec as I heard it called may not be long lived but I can apply liberally lol. I do enjoy the classic but I love variety.

hate to be that guy, but i have a couple of issues with clubman:

1) they seem to be including some questionable ingredients in their products. in particular Lilial which is so bad that the EU is banning it starting next year. the aftershaves also include Lyral, which i believe is to be banned as well if i'm not mistaken. i don't know why clubman has not removed these crap ingredients from their products...mindboggling.

2) plastic bottles. to me its ok if there's no alcohol in solution like Lucky Tiger, but i worry about the alcohol leaching chemicals from the plastic into solution. not a fan of plastic bottles at all.

i think i would be all in if not for these two issues.

hate to be that guy, but i have a couple of issues with clubman:

1) they seem to be including some questionable ingredients in their products. in particular Lilial which is so bad that the EU is banning it starting next year. the aftershaves also include Lyral, which i believe is to be banned as well if i'm not mistaken. i don't know why clubman has not removed these crap ingredients from their products...mindboggling.

2) plastic bottles. to me its ok if there's no alcohol in solution like Lucky Tiger, but i worry about the alcohol leaching chemicals from the plastic into solution. not a fan of plastic bottles at all.

i think i would be all in if not for these two issues.
I have some similar thoughts, but it is not enough to keep me away LOL

They should rerelease original formulations in glass bottles. I do like Lilac Vegetal (used it today actually) but I hear the original was a lot better. I think that would be too cool. Same with their other formulations that have been around forever.

I'm also a fan of the classic original Clubman. Just a great scent! I add a few drops of glycerin to the bottle & get a better face feel.

They should rerelease original formulations in glass bottles. I do like Lilac Vegetal (used it today actually) but I hear the original was a lot better. I think that would be too cool. Same with their other formulations that have been around forever.
Yes! If they used a similar version to this old bottle and made it limited it would sell out in a flash!
07239DDF-689B-4E8D-B7D3-B2A9437A5595.jpeg

Top Bottom