What's new

Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla AS

I got a bottle of some Classic Vanilla aftershave and today was my first time using it. Let' just say that it smelled kind of "skunky" when I put some on my face... :bored: I don't know if skunk is the right word but it has that initial "sourness" that a skunk has. It's not a strong smell but it's there, and that's the first thing that hits me when I put it on, then comes in the nice warm, soft, and sweet notes I really enjoy.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I have the Clubman Original, Bay Rum, and the Special Reserve and I love every single one of them and they all have their own special characteristics, so I had high hopes for this one. Maybe I got a bad batch?

Try it again in a week or so. The first time I tried it, it smelled like bug spray. The second time and every other time thereafter, it smelled fine. Think I'll slap some on tomorrow!

Try it again in a week or so. The first time I tried it, it smelled like bug spray. The second time and every other time thereafter, it smelled fine. Think I'll slap some on tomorrow!

Why do you suppose that is? I asked a family member to smell it on me and they said they didn't smell anything wrong :blink: So I gave them the bottle and asked them if it smells weird or skunky and they said no. Seems like it's just me, but I can definitely smell it. I guess I'll go ask someone else in my house.

I put mine in glass, that seems to have resolved the "skunkies".

Sounds like it's worth a shot. Do you know where one would get cheap glass bottles at? :001_smile

I can't comment on that particular aftershave, but a fresh bottle of witch hazel always stinks for the first day, then mellows out. I figure it's probably due to a preservative of some sort that evaporates out after opening.

Well, it doesn't have a different scent than the original does. And I think I kinda get what you're talking about. It doesn't smell that great to me when I first put it on. But it dries down very nicely.

I'm wearing it more often now, I put it on 2 days ago and I couldn't quite catch the 'skunky' smell I got from it before. I like it overall, and like the rest of my aftershaves, it will always have a place in my cabinet. I'm glad you all had a better experience with it than I did.

The Pinaud AS family is all I use. I tried (and didn't like) the Special Reserve Bay Rum, but I enjoy the regular bay rum, the vanilla, the original Clubman scent, and the Lilac Vegetal. My workplace is officially "fragrance free," but I have a long commute, and by the time I get to work there is only a trace noticeable. Incidentally, you should give the Clubman deodorant a try. I'm allergic to the aluminum in anti-perspirants, and this product uses zink instead of aluminum. The label says it works by killing odor-causing germs. I can't vouch for that, but on me, this works.

I have the Special Reserve, Original, VI Bay Rum, and Vanilla. Every one of them has their own little 'quirks' that I like so I just choose one of my aftershaves based on how I'm feeling at the moment. Actually, I'm wearing the Bay rum right now. :001_cool:

I've also been meaning to give the Vegetal a try but I know it's either 'hit or miss' and I'm kind of scared to try it. I'll check out the deodorant though, I'm a fan of Pinaud Clubman and their products, so the deodorant will definitely have a spot in my cabinet alongside the aftershaves, styling gel, and talc powder.

I got a bottle of some Classic Vanilla aftershave and today was my first time using it. Let' just say that it smelled kind of "skunky" when I put some on my face... :bored: I don't know if skunk is the right word but it has that initial "sourness" that a skunk has. It's not a strong smell but it's there, and that's the first thing that hits me when I put it on, then comes in the nice warm, soft, and sweet notes I really enjoy.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I have the Clubman Original, Bay Rum, and the Special Reserve and I love every single one of them and they all have their own special characteristics, so I had high hopes for this one. Maybe I got a bad batch?

I just searched for "Clubman Pinaud Classic Vanilla Skunky" and your thread came up first. Skunky is absolutely how I describe the opening once it hits my skin and beard and the alcohol evaporates. Like a skunk or skunky marijuana you might smell around April 20th. It's kind of grown on me as an experience that isn't long-lived. I enjoy it, but probably wouldn't if it stuck around. Catching whiffs of the dry down throughout the day is excellent too.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I just cracked open a new bottle of Classic Vanilla and smells great, even straight from the plastic bottle. It'll get better after I decant it into glass. But still, its fine as is. I've never had a skunky bottle. I don't know if you just got a bad batch or if there's some ingredient that's not interacting with your body chemistry well.

I get an "off" and unpleasant element at first from all Pinauds, which I very much otherwise like, all of those I have used. It usually fades in a few minutes, though. I don't know if it's the plastic bottle causing it, or what, but they all, or almost all, seem to have it.

Only "skunky" AS I've experienced has been a different member of the Pinaud family..

I'll bet you 87 internets ya'll know which one I'm talking about.

Love Vanilla Clubman! It doesn't get enough playing time in my rotation though.

Top Bottom