What's new

Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum

Well, there are certainly no shortage of opinions of the stuff. Thank you all for your insights. At 6.79 for this 12oz bottle I believe I'll go ahead and pick some up and give it a try. If for no other reason than to at least experience this divisive product (can't pass that up!). Now wondering just how "home alone" it really is. :bayrum2:

I used it this morning after not using it all summer. I like it. Admittedly it is the only bay rum aftershave I have tried so I don't have much to compare it with. But after using Fine L'Orange Noir all last week, I found that the Clubman Bay Rum leaves my face feeling more moisturized than the Fine. I felt as though my face was overly dry after using the Fine but I really like how may face feels this morning. This will be a nice winter splash for me. Big fan of regular clubman as well.

Burns like there's no tomorrow (cloves again)

As Paul McCartney sang in 1976 (the first two lines): https://youtu.be/fK5oJcn99d4?t=32s

I used it this morning after not using it all summer. I like it. Admittedly it is the only bay rum aftershave I have tried so I don't have much to compare it with. But after using Fine L'Orange Noir all last week, I found that the Clubman Bay Rum leaves my face feeling more moisturized than the Fine. I felt as though my face was overly dry after using the Fine but I really like how may face feels this morning. This will be a nice winter splash for me. Big fan of regular clubman as well.

This thread influenced me to use it this morning after a wonderful BBS 3+ pass with my Merkur Progress, Polsilver SI blade and Tabac soap. I really enjoyed the VIBR splash after a splash of Thayers Super Medicated Witch Hazel (highly recommended). This particular Thayers is the perfect compliment for the VIBR as it also has a clovey smell but with a very quick dry down.

For moisturizing, you might want to try the Ogallala line of bay rums as they contain witch hazel, or follow up with the C.O. Bigelow aftershave balm.

Definitely worth a try IMO! VIBR is not expensive and many like it. For me it is not in the same league an clubman or VSOR but YMMV.

It's not bad on it's own, but I like cloves and cinnamon. It's really good in various bay rum mixes though - I doubt it will go to waste.
Enjoy!

I like it. It is a very spicy bay rum, and it does last for a few hours. Some people prefer more simple formulas with a primary note on the bay oil.

This thread influenced me to use it this morning after a wonderful BBS 3+ pass with my Merkur Progress, Polsilver SI blade and Tabac soap. I really enjoyed the VIBR splash after a splash of Thayers Super Medicated Witch Hazel (highly recommended). This particular Thayers is the perfect compliment for the VIBR as it also has a clovey smell but with a very quick dry down.

For moisturizing, you might want to try the Ogallala line of bay rums as they contain witch hazel, or follow up with the C.O. Bigelow aftershave balm.

I do use a balm. I start with alum immediately after the shave, let it sit while I clean my gear, then rinse off the alum, apply some witch hazel, apply a balm (TOBS Mr. Taylor's aftershave balm) and then finish with a splash.

I do use a balm. I start with alum immediately after the shave, let it sit while I clean my gear, then rinse off the alum, apply some witch hazel, apply a balm (TOBS Mr. Taylor's aftershave balm) and then finish with a splash.

Interesting in that I was always told to apply the balm after the splash as the aftershave dries the skin. I then usually throw on a cologne or more aftershave but not on the face.

By the way, did you ever see the clip of John Lennon playing with Frank Zappa on the night the Fillmore East was closed?

Interesting in that I was always told to apply the balm after the splash as the aftershave dries the skin. I then usually throw on a cologne or more aftershave but not on the face.

By the way, did you ever see the clip of John Lennon playing with Frank Zappa on the night the Fillmore East was closed?

I haven't seen the video. I'll have to look for that one.

I haven't seen the video. I'll have to look for that one.

Remember this is before the days of camcorders or smartphones. I think someone had a Super 8mm or 16mm sound camera in the balcony. There are longer clips but this is the best sound. It sounds like someone synced in the audio track from the John Lennon 1972 released Some Time in NYC LP/CD. There's a great story about the first meeting of Lennon and the Mothers of Invention on the day of the show. They were introduced by Geraldo Rivera.

I should add that this was the last night of the Fillmore East and when the Zappa show ended, the lights went out and everyone thought they were coming back for an encore. When the lights came back on, John & Yoko were onstage without any prior audience notice, so you can imagine the reaction.

B&B has disabled the YT full screen option for some reason so if you want a larger picture, right click on the video and copy the url.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried many bay rums. I like them all but VIBR is my favorite. Goes great with Jocomo de Jocomo edt.

The scent lasts for you for an hour or two? I never get more than an hour and that's even when I rub it over my hairy arms.

The trick to it is to bathe in the stuff!
I rub big gobs of it all over my torso 😉.
The first couple of hours are a heavenly aroma, and as the day progresses it really tones down with an occasional reminder of one of the reasons why I love traditional shaving.

It's inexpensive and smells like Bay Rum, and my wife loves it. I bought the large bottle blind with no regrets, and I use it quite often. I'll definitely replace it once it's gone!

I'm sure there's better out there, but I'm cheap. :lol:

You all weren't kidding about it's "potency". Nary a nick or weeper in sight, but sure felt like it ;)
Definitely heavy on the clove and cinnamon, but I kind of like it. Considering the time of year it is certainly a scintillating, seasonal scent. Haven't heard from the most important critic yet, though . I don't think it will be in heavy rotation, but it will get used. Thanks again for all the input!

View attachment 702827

Ordered some before this thread started and it arrives tomorrow. Never used it before, looking forward to it.

I love Pinaud Clubman. Tried the Pinaud Musk and its ok, I still use it.

Top Bottom