What's new

Pinaud Classic Vanilla - not so good

If you don't like Brut, you probably won't like Clubman.
It's not identical but it's in the same Brut/Canoe family.
I like Canoe and Brut and Clubman, but I'm with you on the Vanilla. It's on the medicinal side to me and it's just not appealing.
The Pinaud Bay Rum makes you smell like you fell into the office party punch bowl.
Very very clove like. Not for me either.
But...
Don't take my word for it, I love Lilac Vegetal.
We're pretty close on this stuff. I like the smell of Brut and Canoe and I've never tried the Clubman, but have tried the Vanilla and Bay Rum in years past and hated both of them. I'm not an aftershave guy anyway, but do still have a spray bottle of Canoe in the den that I may spray on my clothes occasionally before going out (those 3x a year). ;)

I have the entire Pinaud / Clubman aftershave lineup, excluding the newer liquor ones, and find Classic Vanilla to be my absolute favorite of them all!

It actually doesn't smell like vanilla at all but the powdery dry down is out of this world intoxicating to me.

For what it's worth I like and enjoy wearing each and every one of the lineup including Lilac Vegetal, Special Reserve and Musk. Interestingly enough, the only one I'm even a little leary of is the Virgin Island Bay Rum. I do like it but have to be in the mood. Which for VIBR that usually means a cold, dark, rainy day.

I plan on picking up the liquor lineup of aftershaves but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I will admit that all of these aftershaves are cheap in both cost and (overall) scent quality. They take some time to get used to. You have to spend some time with them to begin to appreciate them. With time they grow on you. Ultimately they're all fun and have a place in my and many other men's dens.

There's so much to be lost in wet shaving if one is not willing to explore. Being open minded, trying new things and discovering what you like is a huge part of what makes this a hobby and what makes this hobby fun!

If you don't like Classic Vanilla, fine. Move into the next.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have the entire Pinaud / Clubman aftershave lineup, excluding the newer liquor ones, and find Classic Vanilla to be my absolute favorite of them all!

It actually doesn't smell like vanilla at all but the powdery dry down is out of this world intoxicating to me.

For what it's worth I like and enjoy wearing each and every one of the lineup including Lilac Vegetal, Special Reserve and Musk. Interestingly enough, the only one I'm even a little leary of is the Virgin Island Bay Rum. I do like it but have to be in the mood. Which for VIBR that usually means a cold, dark, rainy day.

I plan on picking up the liquor lineup of aftershaves but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I will admit that all of these aftershaves are cheap in both cost and (overall) scent quality. They take some time to get used to. You have to spend some time with them to begin to appreciate them. With time they grow on you. Ultimately they're all fun and have a place in my and many other men's dens.

There's so much to be lost in wet shaving if one is not willing to explore. Being open minded, trying new things and discovering what you like is a huge part of what makes this a hobby and what makes this hobby fun!

If you don't like Classic Vanilla, fine. Move into the next.

Great post!

Pinaud’s entire line up of aftershaves are very good.

Bootlegger’s makes them better.

It’s what I do. :)

It's why no one should take anybody's recommendation of anything on this site (or other enthusiast sites) without being prepared to be disappointed. I only buy things from places that have easy returns at little to no cost to me. I know what I like and what I don't but to expect a stranger on the internet to have the same likes and dislikes as I do is folly. I don't believe I've recommended anything here but might be enthusiastic about the products I like (or don't). This company's products are the perfect example of YMMV as is Arko, MWH, new bootique small batch razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, etc.

This is actually really great advice for beginners.
Being prepared for disappointment is a big part of plunging yourself into a new hobby.
Gotta be open to trying it though.

The European and American versions of Brut are different, with the European one in the short glass bottle that looks more like a flask with pointy edges being more like Clubman and Canoe, and the American one more "green" scented. I like both, however. Until I had tried the European one, I saw comments here on B&B comparing it to Clubman, and privately thought people that claimed the similarity were a little nuts. 😁 Or just nasally challenged, I suppose.

I really like Clubman Vanilla, and I don't think there's a Pinaud/Clubman I haven't liked, but noticed a really pronounced skunky smell the last time I went through a bottle that I kept in the plastic. I took the advice of many on here and decanted all my Clubmans into glass, and it truly made a difference. If I hadn't learned about that solution I may have given up on the Vanilla.

I really like Clubman Vanilla, and I don't think there's a Pinaud/Clubman I haven't liked, but noticed a really pronounced skunky smell the last time I went through a bottle that I kept in the plastic. I took the advice of many on here and decanted all my Clubmans into glass, and it truly made a difference. If I hadn't learned about that solution I may have given up on the Vanilla.

That is also something I want to do with the Vanilla is the decant
I did this with the regular and for my nose made a difference on that opening for sure and hoping it does the same again once dry down its nice (not my fav) but would be good enough to use it up

my old spice in plastic is fine not sure if its the plastic they use in the Pinaud bottles ?

I did this with the regular and for my nose made a difference on that opening for sure and hoping it does the same again once dry down its nice (not my fav) but would be good enough to use it up

my old spice in plastic is fine not sure if its the plastic they use in the Pinaud bottles ?
I've read claims that the Old Spice plastic interior is specially treated to avoid skunk, and believe it. I don't know if it's the plastic or what, but I strongly recommend decanting all Pinauds. I find the Citrus Musk and Lime don't seem to suffer from staying in the plastic, but the others do.

If I had to speculate. I believe the issue may be more to do with exposure to light and heat than the specific plastic used to make the bottles.

I have always kept my aftershave bottles in a dark cool place and they smell unaltered to me. Even after many years.

If I had to speculate. I believe the issue may be more to do with exposure to light and heat than the specific plastic used to make the bottles.

I have always kept my aftershave bottles in a dark cool place and they smell unaltered to me. Even after many years.
Mine are in a cabinet :) so dark dry and at 77 degrees or cooler and I did half the bottle

When I first did it I am not sure how long it took maybe a week to month as I was using other things as I wanted to give it some time ? And then using/trying some left in the plastic and my glass (next to each other same cabinet from that plastic bottle now in glass) was a noticeable difference like very easy to tell way more than I thought I was going to notice

sure like anything we all know the YMMV and sure some sense it some do not based on the old sniffer ?

NOW one thing I do wonder is how old is the product how long did it sit in plastic ? Just got a 16oz bottle going to have to test that one

I'm not into any of the Pinaud splashes.

When I want to try stuff, I get samples from Maggards. If I don't like the scent at all on the first spray I PIF the sample to someone at work.

I bought a sample of this and I must say, not a fan of the vanilla. I tried the mix and didn’t do it for me. I actually think the other two mixed without the vanilla might be good.

I liked Pinuad vanilla when I had it, but I would recommend you try WSP Sandalwood. It has a very pleasant creamy aroma that I find very close to a good vanilla. Some sandalwoods are "woody", some are more creamy. WSP is the latter. YMMV

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am just not a fan of vanilla scented anything. Well, maybe a little in my lovely bride's chocolate chip cookies!

I just have a fear of having "food" smelling stuff on my face.

I immediately get a flashback to being 5 years old and my Mom giving me a "spit bath" with a Kleenex she got out of the bottom of her purse, that just happens to smell like Tabac! *shudder*

Top Bottom