What's new

Pinaud Citrus Musk with a "kicker"

I bought 1 oz. of WS-23 synthetic menthol in a propylene glycol solution (30%). I have been tinkering with cheap aftershaves, Pinaud Citrus Musk and V.I. Bay Rum. It definitely works, but it took more of the solution than I expected. I don't vape or know anything about vaping, but I have been reading as much as I can about these synthetic cooling agents. I read somewhere that mixing ws-3 and ws-23 can make the product colder. I like COLD, so I might give that a try next.

FWIW, I didn't add the solution scientifically, I just dumped it in one small bottles of aftershave. I would guess that the ratio of solution to splash is around 15%-20%. Also, it changed the feel of the splash a bit. It feels a little bit "thicker" at first, but that feel goes away after a few minutes. It's now 40 minutes after applying and the chill is almost gone, but my face is very smooth.

I don't know if these synthetic cooling agents are going to give me lizard skin in the long run, but it's definitely making these common splashes more interesting. Next time I order, I'm going to buy more than a 1 oz. bottle.
IMG_7798.JPG

Did you mix 1oz of the menthol into 1.7oz of the AS?
"ratio of solution to splash is around 15%-20%"
4 parts AS to 1 part solution based upon that. Though he also says, in effect, that he didn't measure.

OP: Why synthetic menthol?

"ratio of solution to splash is around 15%-20%"
4 parts AS to 1 part solution based upon that. Though he also says, in effect, that he didn't measure.

OP: Why synthetic menthol?
Probably because of the mint smell? I think I remember @pork saying that in a other thread.

Another option I would recommend would be koolada (crystal form just like menthol); no mint smell but it cools nicely. I would start with one crystal per 100 mL.

I filled a little more than the neck of the small bottle (with the w-23). I added small amounts and tested it. I stopped when it was cold enough for me, which it sort of isn’t as cold as I can handle, but it’s making the splash feel a little greasy the more I add at this point. The slightly greasy feels seems to fade on my face though. I figure there’s a balance between it being cold enough for me and also having a good face feel.

I tried this synthetic menthol because it doesn’t alter the smell of the splash (like menthol). Also, the coldness seems to last longer.

Probably because of the mint smell? I think I remember @pork saying that in a other thread.

Another option I would recommend would be koolada; no mint smell but it cools nicely.

Yeah, once I get some, that’s the next experiment, followed by mixing ws-23 and Koolada to see what happens. I might have to buy raw koolada and mix it since all I’ve found online is 10% pg solutions which, I think, would be too much pg to splash. I assume the pg is what’s making the splash feel thicker.

Yeah, once I get some, that’s the next experiment, followed by mixing ws-23 and Koolada to see what happens. I might have to buy raw koolada and mix it since all I’ve found online is 10% pg solutions which, I think, would be too much pg to splash. I assume the pg is what’s making the splash feel thicker.

Yeah, PG is thick, and would probably make a better ASB than AS, considering it's properties. Good luck on your experiments.

Looks like you have done your homework!

Too much propylene glycol will be too oily and/or will not be beneficial to the skin (could actually dry the skin because pg is hygroscopic). IME vegetable glycerin in small amounts is better for moisturizing the skin.

If you do end up getting the Koolada crystals, make sure to wash your hands before you go pee!

Looks like you have done your homework!

Too much propylene glycol will be too oily and/or will not be beneficial to the skin (could actually dry the skin because pg is hygroscopic). IME vegetable glycerin in small amounts is better for moisturizing the skin.

If you do end up getting the Koolada crystals, make sure to wash your hands before you go pee!

Ha...ok, will do. Better still, I will wear gloves.

The amount of pg solution I have in there now is the upper limit of oily for me. But, it's no more oily feeling than CL splash, so I'm ok with it. I'd like to figure out how to get it colder without using as much pg solution. Maybe I just need to only buy the raw cooling agents and make a more potent solution using less PG (if that's possible?). I'm a professional musician, not a chemist, so I don't really know about this stuff.

Ha...ok, will do. Better still, I will wear gloves.

The amount of pg solution I have in there now is the upper limit of oily for me. But, it's no more oily feeling than CL splash, so I'm ok with it. I'd like to figure out how to get it colder without using as much pg solution. Maybe I just need to only buy the raw cooling agents and make a more potent solution using less PG (if that's possible?). I'm a professional musician, not a chemist, so I don't really know about this stuff.

The raw ingredient might be soluble in alcohol, or water. I imaging PG was chosen because it is being vaporized and inhaled, and mixed with other things, PG mixes well with a lot of things. Between water, alcohol, and witch hazel, one of the 3 should work as a solvent for it.

The raw ingredient might be soluble in alcohol, or water. I imaging PG was chosen because it is being vaporized and inhaled, and mixed with other things, PG mixes well with a lot of things. Between water, alcohol, and witch hazel, one of the 3 should work as a solvent for it.

I was wondering about the solubility in both alcohol and witch hazel. I guess I will give it a try.

Maybe a small amount of actual menthol crystal would give it more bang without adding any notable scent? I did not notice much of a minty scent when I added crystals to Lime Sec. It was so cold it made my snot run. Maybe a small amount would not be detectable to your nose?

Maybe a small amount of actual menthol crystal would give it more bang without adding any notable scent? I did not notice much of a minty scent when I added crystals to Lime Sec. It was so cold it made my snot run. Maybe a small amount would not be detectable to your nose?

This is a good idea that I hadn’t considered. Mixing menthol with synthetic menthol...I might try this first. Thanks for the tip.

Trying 50% Lime Sec, 30% Osage Rub, and 20% WS-23 today. I think I have built up a tolereace to the chilliness. This itch isn’t going to be scratched by aftershave.

Reapplied, just for the heck of it. This is actually not too bad. It’s going to be hot here today. Looks like the little spray bottle is coming with me.

Top Bottom