What's new

Pin material

Has anyone tried to use 1/16 nickel silver or brass brazing rods for pins? Or 1/16 stainless tig rods? You can get them for less than a few bucks each and they are 3' long.

Thoughts?

Yep the ss is almost impossible to peen without bending the pin. Ns is a common for pins but brass brazing rod might work. But the correct rod from model shops is so cheep why bother.

Further. To my previous post. The best way to find out is give it ago is it doesn't work... What's a couple of bucks to find out and gain a lesson or not. Nothing ventured nothing gained;-)

Not many model stores here. Pretty much just craft stores like hobby lobby. Don't really care for brass pins so I was looking for something I could get locally.

Not many model stores here. Pretty much just craft stores like hobby lobby. Don't really care for brass pins so I was looking for something I could get locally.

As stated above, you can't peen SS. The copper in brazing and welding filler rods will cause dissimilar metal corrosion. Hobby Lobby has 1/16" brass rods and so does the Home Depot and Lowes. About $1.50 for 12". Brass is the way to go. IMHO.

I have some brass rods don't like it. . Guess I'll just order some more nickel silver. Thanks for the info.

Yeah brass is easy to source ... I personally use 1" brass nails that are 1/16 thick... It's like 2 bucks for 100 nails

I have considered using 1/16 aluminum rods but haven't tried it now that I ordered 6 feet of NiAg rod

Top Bottom