What's new

Pimp My Shave Rig...

... on a budget.

I'm new to the whole DE shaving thing; been at it two weeks tomorrow. I love the results I'm getting: closer shave, fewer bumps, etc. etc. etc. So far, I've been using a generic boar brush, some Proraso (green), and this DE razor (on the left) with Merkur blades. I don't know what model/year it is (it's some sort of Gillette), but it's been suiting me fine lately:

proxy.php

I've ordered an exciting array of samples from Scotto (probably getting here tomorrow), including some Nancy Boy, Trumpers, and other oft-reviewed creams. Plus, I love the Proraso. So as far as the cream goes, I feel pretty set until the shavegeek urges set in.

But, I realize that my rig is far from ideal. Obviously the brush ought to be upgraded, and probably the razor, too. Here's my question. Assume you have the stuff that I have, and you have $40 or so to spend. What do you buy first? A Crabtree and Evelyn badger hair brush? A Merkur HD razor? Something else?

I don't have tons of money to play with, but I would like to [slowly] build up some quality stuff that will last me a while.

P.S. A word on the razor: anyone able to identify this? The picture is just from the eBay auction where I bought them both for $5 or so. I've tried the adjustable one, but the dial slips really easily and I always set it too wide and hurt myself.

the merkur HD is a VERY solid purchase. you'll keep it in your rotation.

the $35 c&e brush is very good for the price. I like it a lot.

if i had to get one or the other it'd be a hard choice. i'd prob. get the HD. you will use it forever most likely. you can use the brush forever, but you might find later on you like bigger or higher grade brushes better. i think you would go back to it, though.

Given your budget and your current setup, going to a good badger brush will be the most noticeable improvement. The C&E brush is a good one, but if you can get to $58, the SR-208 brush from QED is pure luxury.

rossination said:
... on a budget.

I'm new to the whole DE shaving thing; been at it two weeks tomorrow. I love the results I'm getting: closer shave, fewer bumps, etc. etc. etc. So far, I've been using a generic boar brush, some Proraso (green), and this DE razor (on the left) with Merkur blades. I don't know what model/year it is (it's some sort of Gillette), but it's been suiting me fine lately

Given by your own admission, your razor seems to suting you fine, I'd stick with it while you get your technique down. That leaves you with the brush upgrade.

While I don't have the C&E $35 brush, I have been into a C&E and played with one and they are very nice for the money. They also get stormin' good reviews on here.

However, Scotto's advice is excellent and I myself am holding off buying a new brush (even though my current cheap one is badger) until I take the plunge with either the SR-208 or SR-212.

Think of it this way, you are at the top of a looooong and slippery slope my friend and you will very quickly become immersed, obsessed and truly in debt to all things wet-shaving related.

What's more, the overly friendly goons on this forum will only help further your self-destruction by SCAD, BAD, RAD and whatever other disorder they can throw your way in the most helpful possible manner! :biggrin:

If your current razor is indeed working OK for you, I'd suggest that you pick up a decent brush. I used a Savile Row 101 (which I picked up for under $35 from Charles at QED) for my first 4 months of wet shaving, and it worked great. Although I love my new PJ3, I could have easily hung with the SR101 indefinitely--its a wonderful brush, it makes great lather and transforms the shaving process into a luxury rather than a chore.

I think that both suggestions above are spot on--the C&E gets great reviews here, and while I have not had the pleasure, I love C&E's other products (their Sweet Almond Oil shave cream is one of my very faves), and the SR208 is a beautiful brush--and a GREAT value. Whatever you choose you won't regret it.

Take Scotto's advice and get the SR brush. On your budget (for just a little over), it'll give great results and QED is a solid company to deal with.
The samples will be more than adequate that Scotto is sending you. That should give you a chance to really get some good results for a while with the new brush and the cream samples. One thing's for sure, you don't have to go drop the coin right now on a Kent/Shavemac/Rooney brush to get good results. Wait for shavegeek syndrome to set in, then you'll be on your way to buying those names. :tongue:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I believe the razor on the left is a Gillette Tech, from the 30's or early 40's. It's a cute, simple, non-aggressive razor. There's just something about using a pre-war (the big war, as dad used to say) instrument.

I pimp mine by shaving with a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the handle.

Top Bottom