What's new

PILS vs Feather SS after 1 week each

I bought the Pils and Feather stainless steel de razors this month. I used them each for at least a week. Here are my preferences:

Both are extremely well made as mentioned many times. I prefer the extra weight and feel of the Pils. It is more substantial and has slightly better quality than the feather in my opinion.

Performance: Prior to these razors, I used and EJ georgian and an HD with only feather blades. I've been de shaving since last fall and shave daily. The Pils was very agressive for me at first and I had to change my angle a bit to compensate. The shaves were very close but I found them to be irritating. By the end of the week, I've got the hang of the Pils but I feel like I have to be very careful.

The Feather SS was different from the start. The shaves are so smooth that it feels like it isn't cutting anything. By the end of the shave though for me it is near BBS with so little effort that it is amazing. I've tried many razors but this one stands out so much for the quality of the shave, smoothness and ease.

I'm going to keep both because I do love the Pils style and feel. I'm going to use the feather at the gym in the mornings when I don't have a lot of time and want a great shave with little effort. I'll use the Pils on the weekends when I have ample time to be careful.

By the way prior to these two, a feather blade would last me 3-4 shaves in the other two razors mentioned. With both the Pils and Feather SS I'm getting only 2 shaves. I guess that proves my shaves are closer?!

Excellent report. It seems to be inline with other comments. Try an Iridium or 7Oclock green wrapper super stainless in each razor if you get a chance. They are both very sharp blades and smooth. You may get yet another take on the results.

Thanks Coz, excellent comparison. I love my PILS and just dont' like the styling on the feather or else would have a serious look at it. The PILS is all the razor I should ever need...does that prevent me from adding to my ever growing rotation...NO :)

By the way prior to these two, a feather blade would last me 3-4 shaves in the other two razors mentioned. With both the Pils and Feather SS I'm getting only 2 shaves. I guess that proves my shaves are closer?!

That's interesting, I have found something similar with the Pils, once I get past 2 shaves with a Feather blade I get a much more irritation than I used to with my Muhle R89. Perhaps it's down to a change in technique.

Actually...I've been comparing the iridiums to the feather. The feather starts out fine but I'm only getting 2 shaves out of it period...then it starts burning...whereas the iridium goes for 3 shaves before giving up...the same occurs in two other razors I tried...the #58 and the #66...so for me the feather just isn't cost-effective. I'm going to try the Astra's next...just ordered some from WCS.

Actually...I've been comparing the iridiums to the feather. The feather starts out fine but I'm only getting 2 shaves out of it period...then it starts burning...whereas the iridium goes for 3 shaves before giving up...the same occurs in two other razors I tried...the #58 and the #66...so for me the feather just isn't cost-effective. I'm going to try the Astra's next...just ordered some from WCS.
I have similar results with Feather blades--I find them much more prone to irritate. The Iridium, however, works like a dream in the Pils. Someone was kind enough to PIF me a Feather so I'll be giving it a shot next week.

And at some point I just may have to pick up one of the Feather Stainless.

Last edited:
I bought the Pils and Feather stainless steel de razors this month. I used them each for at least a week. Here are my preferences:

Both are extremely well made as mentioned many times. I prefer the extra weight and feel of the Pils. It is more substantial and has slightly better quality than the feather in my opinion.

Performance: Prior to these razors, I used and EJ georgian and an HD with only feather blades. I've been de shaving since last fall and shave daily. The Pils was very agressive for me at first and I had to change my angle a bit to compensate. The shaves were very close but I found them to be irritating. By the end of the week, I've got the hang of the Pils but I feel like I have to be very careful.

The Feather SS was different from the start. The shaves are so smooth that it feels like it isn't cutting anything. By the end of the shave though for me it is near BBS with so little effort that it is amazing. I've tried many razors but this one stands out so much for the quality of the shave, smoothness and ease.

I'm going to keep both because I do love the Pils style and feel. I'm going to use the feather at the gym in the mornings when I don't have a lot of time and want a great shave with little effort. I'll use the Pils on the weekends when I have ample time to be careful.

coz, I think your descriptions of the two razors are excellent.

I used a PILS on loan for close to two weeks. I didn't find it to be aggressive in the traditional sense but its blade angle did require me to adjust shaving angle. After that, it shaved very, very well. I used a Gillette Bleue Extra and a Super Iridium and both felt great, yielding at least three shaves each. When I can, I will definitely invest in a PILS.

I described the Feather's performance in almost exactly the same way in my review - it really does seem like it's cutting nothing. I get really close shaves with little effort. I also like the "presence" of some of my more aggressive razors but the Feather has a solid place in my rotation.

Thanks for your input. :001_cool:

I love both razors. I think the Feather is a little easier to travel with. It breaks down into pieces nicer than the Pils. I go between them depending on mood.

I haven't gotten to try many other blades in either razor and I am sticking to what works in that regard, Feather blades in each. I really should venture out and try a couple others.

Glad to see so many people trying out both razors and looking past the price barrier.

I have not tried the PILS because I don't like its looks, but I own a Feather SS and my experience is very similar. So smooth and comfortable, no effort required, it takes all the fun out of shaving. I call it the "Lexus" whereas the PILS sounds like its worthy of the "BMW" nickname.

I have not tried the PILS because I don't like its looks, but I own a Feather SS and my experience is very similar. So smooth and comfortable, no effort required, it takes all the fun out of shaving. I call it the "Lexus" whereas the PILS sounds like its worthy of the "BMW" nickname.
Interesting part about it taking all the fun out of shaving, I get the same thing with the Pils. Not that shaving is no longer fun (it is) but all the associated frippery--the massive collections of $20 Redtips, the hours of searching on e-bay for a ranger tech, the Milfords purchased and sold--well all that has been cast aside, now that shaving Nirvana has been achieved. Or something like that.

Completely offtopic, Pils is more like a Porsche than BMW. In fact, the stainless model reminds me a lot of the GT2 :laugh: And I would think the Feather is a Nissan GT-R. :thumbup:

Funny, I didn't find the Pils traditionally aggressive, either. It requires a change in technique, for sure, but it seemed almost mild with my first few shaves. I'm used to it now - and love it.

I wouldn't liken the Feather SS to a BMW. I don't expect regular breakdowns and have breathtakingly expensive replacement parts. :biggrin:

coz, I think your descriptions of the two razors are excellent.

I used a PILS on loan for close to two weeks. I didn't find it to be aggressive in the traditional sense but its blade angle did require me to adjust shaving angle. After that, it shaved very, very well. I used a Gillette Bleue Extra and a Super Iridium and both felt great, yielding at least three shaves each. When I can, I will definitely invest in a PILS.

I described the Feather's performance in almost exactly the same way in my review - it really does seem like it's cutting nothing. I get really close shaves with little effort. I also like the "presence" of some of my more aggressive razors but the Feather has a solid place in my rotation.

Thanks for your input. :001_cool:

Bill- You got me excited to be getting my Feather SS tomorrow! Stoked to try it out.

Also to your point, I love the GBE in the Pils... I may try a feather blade and see if it wears down after 2 shaves.

In case anyone was wondering: The Pils razor will not fit into the Feather SS stand from the Japanese version. I was hoping it would!

Top Bottom