What's new

PILS Stainless Steel Razor...WITH RUST!

The rust problem might be only for first purchasers but let me tell you, i got one from a brand new batch and it was terribly misaligned and had quite the blade gap problem. Big no-no for a $240 razor as far as i'm concerned.

What is the blade gap problem? I'm unfamiliar with this.

What is the blade gap problem? I'm unfamiliar with this.

While every PILS razor - or each batch - may be different, my "rusty" razor did not have an issue with the blade gap. The cap of the razor did have a tiny bit of play when it was tightened down, which could give the appearance of having a blade gap issue if it was moved ever so slightly. However, the blade itself had equal exposure on both sizes. Below you can see photos taken shortly after I bought the razor.

View attachment 121846
View attachment 121847
View attachment 121851

Last edited:
How about putting a mirror finish on it and then putting it back into your rotation? That satin finish was trouble

If you are speaking to me, the thought crossed my mind more than once to send it off to be plated in nickel, or possibly rhodium. However, the vendor I bought it from offered to swap it out for a new satin finish stainless model. Should the issue arise again.... :tongue_sm

I don't think SS will take a plating
On the other hand, you can have it PVDed or some other new hi tech coating used on knives

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
So, out of curiosity, of the various PILS models, would one be particularly less likely to rust that the others?

So, out of curiosity, of the various PILS models, would one be particularly less likely to rust than the others?

Based on where the rust is located I would think the models with at least a plated cap would offer more protection than the stainless steel. I believe your options would be nickel or gold. (Ironically, when I bought the stainless PILS I was thinking I would never have to worry about plating loss, but rust never crossed my mind!) I am still pondering the comment about a PVD coating. Has anyone on this board ever done that with a razor? If so, how expensive is it and do you like it?

Last edited:
Just noticed this morning that my PILS has the same "rust" issue on the underside of the cap. However, it shaves great. The discoloration is a bit of a bummer but it's so slight ... if I hadn't read this thread I might not even have noticed it.

The vendor I bought it from no longer sells this razor. Wonder why. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it -- hopefully the "rust" won't spread.

hate to be a killjoy, but my parker 71r hasn't discoloured in any way and i don't even dry it most days. I'd kill my vendor if a razor that cost that much discoloured on me. I hope you guys get a decent solution, it looks like a great razor even if it has issues. I guess nothing is perfect.

Just noticed this morning that my PILS has the same "rust" issue on the underside of the cap. However, it shaves great. The discoloration is a bit of a bummer but it's so slight ... if I hadn't read this thread I might not even have noticed it.

The vendor I bought it from no longer sells this razor. Wonder why. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it -- hopefully the "rust" won't spread.
When did you get the razor? Early on, or is it new?

Not wanting to take too much of a different direction with this thread but I have a new Feather SS razor and I just shake off the water and put it away with the blade still in it (SS blades), so far no marking at all. Should I be doing this or taking the blade out and drying it properly............or is the Feather a different animal? Has anybody had a Feather rust yet? The reason I got the SS razor was so I could be slack and not worry about it too much...........:001_smile
Cheers
Anthony

Top Bottom