What's new

PILS Stainless Steel Razor...WITH RUST!

Actually, your razor is made out of stainless steel, not stain proof steel. Try leaving a stainless firearm in a humid environment without proper oiling and see what happens. Take some Flitz metal polish on the end of a Q-tip and polish the stains off. The residual polish will protect your razor from a repeat of the same issue. If you're going to store your razors for a couple of weeks or more, just take a cotton ball and wipe it down with mineral oil. It rinses off easily under running hot water the next time you want to use it. I understand your disappointment after paying that kind of money for a product. Stainless steel will require some preventive maintenance just as will high carbon or tool steel. Not as much, but not totally maintenance free either.

I use petroleum jelly on my stainless firearms. It comes off pretty easily and stays where you put it. It works well on blued steel too. I imagine it would work well on a stainless razor. And you're right of course. Stainless is not equal to rustless.

OK, OK, I hate to see a man so bummed about a razor.
proxy.php

Send me a PM and your address I will send you
proxy.php
$50 and a Gillette Milord in exchange for that rusty old stainless steel PILS!!

I had this happen but found that the rust came from the blade I was using and not the razor itself. The rust that was on my Pils came off with a toothbrush or even just buffing with a towel.

I shave with a vintage Gillette that's silver plated and it gets rust under the head. There's absolutely nothing on the razor that can rust so it has to be the blade. A spray of WD-40 and a little q-tip action sorts it out. Maybe it'll work for you as well.

I spoke with my neighbor yesterday and he was unable to remove the rust.

Unfortunately, that has been my experience thus far. The rust is definitely not on the surface, but is a part of the razor. Scrubbing Bubbles and WD-40 have not done a thing despite my vigorous efforts.

I did hear back from the vendor, who has put in an inquiry to PILS and is waiting for a reply. (The factory may be on holiday.) Before I take more caustic solvents to the razor I am going to wait and see what they have to say. I will let the thread die off until I have something more to share.

Oh...and thanks for the kind offers to take this rusty old thing off my hands. I would hate to burden any of you with it. :001_unsur

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! I checked my PILS and found no rust but then again I'm pretty anal and when I use it I remove the blade then clean and dry it immediately (I actually use my wife's hair dryer :lol:). I love my PILS and if it did start to have rust on it I would think that it is superficial and it would take a long time to destroy this tank of a razor. I hope everything works out.

UPDATE: The last two days were busy and I never managed to get to the store to buy Naval jelly or machine oil. However, I did have some WD-40 and last night I sprayed the rusted piece with sufficient WD-40 to actually pool in the affected areas. I left it that way for a couple hours then proceeded to take a Q-tip, and then an old toothbrush, to effortlessly scrub the rust away. Or so I imagined. Unfortunately, the WD-40 did nothing at all, and the cap remains as it did at the beginning of this thread.

Maybe naval jelly will come to the rescue....

Be very careful with WD-40. It has been known to leave a gummy veneer. I almost ruined the opening mechanism of very good folding knife with it.

I concur about not using Naval Jelly. It seems to me to be very aggressive.

Also if you use a wire brush make sure it is stainless steel or bronze. Don't use a carbon steel bush. I understand that using regular steel wool on S.S. will cause rust due to the carbon steel fibers leaving particles on the S.S. I expect a wire brush would do the same thing. There is bronze wool available, and probably S.S. wool as well.

A Q'tip and polishing compound might be a possibility.

Apart from all the suggestions on how to get rid of the rust spots:

I find this a sad state of affair for a razor that costs close to $250. I personally had a PILS and had to pinch myself when inspecting it. The head was misaligned and the blade gap uneven. How this is possible with a razor that supposingly is made to such high standards that EVERY razor from PILS is exactly the same......well i don't know. Either they're NOT such high standards (which this thread also might suggest) or they ALL have rust spots and misaligned heads.

Anyways, i was personally disppointed with the quality of my PILS and will never again buy a PILS product. It might be a good shaver but for $240, i expect flawlessness and flawlessness i did not get.

Anyways, i was personally disppointed with the quality of my PILS and will never again buy a PILS product. It might be a good shaver but for $240, i expect flawlessness and flawlessness i did not get.

That is the whole point! Whether it are the materials used or something wrong in their production methods for this kind of money you cannot allow yourself to make a product with these kind of flaws.

I remember that the Dutch Barbershop had a SS DE razor in from the 50's or 60's (brand; Swing (I think)) that was clearly used, dented and scratched, so I didn't want it for the money asked, but it didn't show any rust. I can't believe that the previous owner had taken much care of it but the worst it showed were a few very minor pits/stains. So it can be done, they could do it 50+ years ago!

That is the whole point! Whether it are the materials used or something wrong in their production methods for this kind of money you cannot allow yourself to make a product with these kind of flaws.

I remember that the Dutch Barbershop had a SS DE razor in from the 50's or 60's (brand; Swing (I think)) that was clearly used, dented and scratched, so I didn't want it for the money asked, but it didn't show any rust. I can't believe that the previous owner had taken much care of it but the worst it showed were a few very minor pits/stains. So it can be done, they could do it 50+ years ago!

I have a Darwin from 1925. It's stainless. In fact, I think it's cobalt steel. It shines like a mirror. The only marks on it are my fingerprints.

I have been using a Pils for a month and never remove the blade between uses (I use each blade for a week). Also, I never dry the razor after use.......just lay it flat on the counter. So far, mine has not had any rust issues.

All stainless steel is not equal when talking about the ability to resist rust. It could be that the wrong material was used during manufacturing. If you like the razor's performance other than the rust, I would try for an exchange. Nothing is perfect, but at that price a person would expect not to see it rust under normal usage. The thing about rust is that it never sleeps....
Russ

I doubt naval jelly would have too much of a negative effect unless you left it on for a rather long period of time, such as an hour or more. In such case, it would probably etch the stainless, as well as getting rid of the rust marks.

However, it is pretty harsh acid to handle casually, if that's a concern.

Barkeeper's Friend is the stuff to use. It's actually recommended for stainless, and has a weak acid, rather than the bleach like most souring powders use, specifically for this kind of cleaning.

Then again, this is a premium razor, and I'm not sure I'd be in much mood to hear any excuses from the manufacturer. After all, there are some significant reasons to choose a stainless, boutique item such as the Pils. Such as the prospect of owning a razor that won't rust or corrode under normal conditions.

Then again, this is a premium razor, and I'm not sure I'd be in much mood to hear any excuses from the manufacturer. After all, there are some significant reasons to choose a stainless, boutique item such as the Pils. Such as the prospect of owning a razor that won't rust or corrode under normal conditions.

Isn't this the crux of this thread?

A purchase of a PILS or Feather stainless steel is more about the quality and aesthetics of such a purchase. I'm sure they're great shavers too. However, to expect stainless steel to be invulnerable to corrosion is an unrealistic expectation. That's why (or a big reason why) most razors are currently plated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally had a PILS and had to pinch myself when inspecting it. The head was misaligned and the blade gap uneven.

This is the section that had me take notice. There is little reason that this razor should have left the factory. I understand that every shop makes mistakes. But, this is a razor from a small shop for a premium price and there are owners who are not happy for a range of issues. PILS should take notice.

Top Bottom