What's new

Pils DE Razor

Who here actually has one of these? I think a lot of us are interested, but the high price tag makes it a wee bit unlike purchasing a $15 Gillette off eBay.

What does it shave like compared to a Merkur HD?

It definitely is unlike buying a $15 Gillette off ebay. You will pay the "crazy tax", as I call it, for this this razor. Meaning that you pay more for an idea of what you think a well designed razor is than say a Gillette or Merkur HD. I paid the crazy tax and I enjoy it. The extra dollars basically went to entertaining me every morning or evening when I shave. For the $245 I paid for it, and I use it every day, it's cheaper than the Porter Cable router setup that I have in my garage that only gets used on weekends heh.

Does it shave better than an HD? Really that is the skill of the user. I wouldn't buy this thinking that I would get a better shave from it. I had an HD awhile back, I since sold those off in beginner kits for people. I can't fairly say it shaves any better but it does shave well. I don't find it aggressive at all, but rather I find it precise. Too little or too much angle and it does nothing. The head geometry is very different than the HD. It is flat and the pitch of the blade is minimal. The blade pitch lines up rather well with the blade guard for a smooth feel when shaving, at least that is how I feel it to be. The blade gap I thought would be a monster, sort of like a Futur, but not even so. It's much milder. I think it's a gentle razor. I like mine loaded up with Feathers.

The weight balance is tipped more so to the head. It isn't a light razor by any means, but has a good substantial feel to it. I think the HD is better distributed with the head being off set by the knob at the end.

If you deconstruct the Pils razor, it is very basic. A stainless steel rod, a milled head and blade guard and a screw that holds the head on. Nothing more or less. The handles are modular in a sense that they are used across the Pils line. The head is attached by a machined screw that holds the head on which also also allows the blade guard to be screwed into it. The finish is excellent and the machine work that went into the head is impeccable if you can appreciate that sort of thing. It is a minimalist piece of art that was designed for a function.

You can probably shave just as well with an HD as you could a Pils. That being said, I really enjoy the Pils. So much so that I have reduced my razors down to 2: A Pils and a Bull Mastiff by CooncatBob. Both appreciated as great works of shaving.

Interesting razor. What can you guys compare the shave to in aggressiveness? Tech or HD?

Is Ray the only guy in the US with them? Wonder when he will have them back in stock?

The gold would put you in high cotton for sure.

New stock is suppose to be in last week (thank you customs) so with luck it will be this week...:blush:

Let's put to rest an issue, The 118NN is the only razor that has High Polished Nickel Plate End Caps. The rest of the model are completely Stainless. Why? I don't have the answer. All I can say is that it has a different look than polished stainless.

Michael,

Thanks for the thoughtful description.
I'm certain it's a beautiful, precisely functioning work of industrial art that responds to the skill of the user.

Individuals may decide for themselves whether or not it is within their budget.

Last edited:
Let's put to rest an issue, The 118NN is the only razor that has High Polished Nickel Plate End Caps. The rest of the model are completely Stainless. Why? I don't have the answer. All I can say is that it has a different look than polished stainless.

Why?! Because its awesome! thats why! Looking forward to seeing what goodies they are sending.

V

VR6ofpain

Someone said with two turns the head comes off. Does it only use a couple of the theads on the head cap?

Curse you, RAD!

I've been on the fence with the Pils ever since I saw it. The photos at Gentleman's Best don't compare to the lovely ones in this thread. Since Leisureguy likes it... well... trigger just pulled about three minutes ago.

I went with the 101NE, the entirely satin finished stainless model. I've been wanting an entirely stainless razor so I don't have to deal with possible plating loss or flaws. The Pils seems to entirely fit the bill.

I just hope there aren't jealousy issues with the DE89L. I'd like to stay in its good graces and this purchase in no way suggests that I am unhappy with the DE89L.

You can get them at Gentlemen,s Best USA $245.00 Awesome razor or the new Feather stainless DE at Classic Shaving..also a beautiful work of machining for $160.00 US$ Both the best of the best Harvey

Mine has been on order since 7/21. It was supposed to be in the store by 7/28'ish. Sounds like there is all kinds of screwed-up with the order at this point.

Top Bottom