What's new

Pilot VP: Riddle Me This

OK, so I assume that a FP Cap is to 1) keep ink from leaking everywhere and 2) keep the nib from drying out.

So the VP solves number 1 by allowing you to carry it upside down. But what about number 2? How does Pilot keep the ink in the nib (on the feeder) from drying out? Do any of you suffer from false starts when using your VP?

Thanks for indulging me.

There is a sort of trapdoor mechanism inside the point that completely covers the nib when it's retracted. It's easy to see when you're actually holding one and looking into it, but neither my camera nor my skills in using a camera are sufficient to give you a photograph. However, the nib is effectively capped when it is inside the pen. The doors open up as you extend the nib.

I have a couple of VPs with Richard Binder's removal of the pocket clip. That leaves two open slits in the end piece (it looks better than it sounds). Even with that, the trap doors still cover the nib, and I've had no problem with it drying up.

if i leave it on the desk for a bit with the nib exposed it will dry out a little but as long as it is retracted I don't have any issues. All in all I have only owned mine for a little over a week and I am impressed.

Without the cap you see things pretty well. My slow starts are from Liberty Elysium. Other inks don't have the issue. $uploadfromtaptalk1390331824306.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1390331836024.jpg

Which one do you have? It looks like the matte black one. I really wanted that one but I wanted the decimo more and the comments on finish durability scared me away.

I can’t speak to the VP, since I don’t own one. But, I have noticed that the little disposable Pilots that come with a cap, named VPen confusingly, are better at staying ready to write than any of my “real” fountain pens. I just checked the one I keep as a spare on my desk, despite having sat unused for at least 3 months now, it started up without missing even the first touch to paper. Not sure if this is about the ink they use in those disposable pens or if Pilot has figured something smart out regarding the design of their nibs.

I can’t speak to the VP, since I don’t own one. But, I have noticed that the little disposable Pilots that come with a cap, named VPen confusingly, are better at staying ready to write than any of my “real” fountain pens. I just checked the one I keep as a spare on my desk, despite having sat unused for at least 3 months now, it started up without missing even the first touch to paper. Not sure if this is about the ink they use in those disposable pens or if Pilot has figured something smart out regarding the design of their nibs.

it may be the ink, I refilled one with 54th Massachusetts and after sitting for a few weeks it was hard to start. Once it got going it wrote well.

I love the VP and have no issues with it not starting.
With my Montblanc ink or Private Reserve I've never had an issue.

My VP is only a few months old but it is showing a lot of wear :( I occasionally wear a Pelikan in the same pocket and they look great.
+1 my matte black is slowly showing wear as well...mine is brass or gold colored under the matte black. and i take good care of my pens too. when not in my pocket it is in my hand or in a case...disappointing, but i refuse to buy a pen just to look at it.

$uploadfromtaptalk1390437475617.jpgdoesn't show all of it but all the little flecks are where the finish is off of it. The tip where it sticks above my pocket is bad but the rings where the two sections come together is the worst.

Top Bottom