What's new

Pilot Varsity Nib...Hopefully a simple question

I picked a varsity up on Saturday at a Michael's. I could just buy one. If I did not like it I did not want to have a whole pack. Wow. This thing kicks the metropolitan's butt in smoothness. The hype was real. I have had several metros over the years and all of them got problematic and all of them, unless writing on Rhodia paper, which I hate, either scratched from the start or began scratching and grabbing over time. This nib feels nothing like the metro on any paper I've thrown at it today.

Why can't the metros have this nib? I don't want a tossable pen. I have two TWISBI Go's that I really like the nib and the seemingly infinite amount of ink in the tank but I don't like the feel. I like how slim the Varsity is.

Is there a budget refillable thinish pen with the same medium nib as the Varsity or one as smooth?

They are really great pens. Don't leak even on a plane, write really well. You can refill them. You just have to yank the nib out, refill, and put it back in. I did have a little more trouble with leaking after I did that on one of mine but it may be a matter of trying a different ink. I tried Noodlers.

My wife really likes them too so I usually just buy a pack of them at a time.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
First thought - it might be the ink, not the nib, that’s making the V feel smoother.

Second thought - my Metro never seemed that scratchy to me. Maybe it’s all relative. Besides, one persons “scratchy” is another’s “pleasant feedback”.

Third thought - ever tried a Platinum Preppie? Or Prefonte? I hear good things about that nib. I want to pick up a Prefonte next time I make an order from Goulet.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Get the whole pack of those pens for only about $9.00. They are really good. And when one on them runs out of ink, use it as a dip pen. That’s what I did.

I'd highly suggest a Platinum Prefonte... tho I have to admit, I never considered the Varsity that much thinner in the body than the Metro. The Prefonte definitely seemed more on the Varsity side of thin vs the Metro side. Platinum nibs have always felt smoother to me than the Varsity ones, by a lot.

I'd highly suggest a Platinum Prefonte... tho I have to admit, I never considered the Varsity that much thinner in the body than the Metro. The Prefonte definitely seemed more on the Varsity side of thin vs the Metro side. Platinum nibs have always felt smoother to me than the Varsity ones, by a lot.
I will check it out

Top Bottom