What's new

Pilot Metropolitan

I put the black cartridge in because I had some trouble with the converter that came with it. I bet the fine nib would have been better. The Medium is very medium. It works great for my 3-ring planner (20 lb copier paper) but not good in my smaller journals because my write is atrocious. They have a F Metro at the local store that I can get with my Senior Discount(15%! < $20)

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I just ordered a Metro...very excited!

Any recommendations for ink (I prefer black) and ways to carry/use to get the most of this edc pen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had Noodler's Black, Diamine1864 Blue Black, Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black in my Metros (Fine & 1mm Stub). They all work excellently.

I have a bunch of fountain pens, but my Metro gets the most use. It is a pleasure to write with and is just no hassle.

This is my second fountain pen. WOW! I should have bought this one from the get go.

I am really enjoying it and can see myself multiple.

I like that this thread started with a shopping list. So here's my far more ordinary list from yesterday.

__TEMP__85eac6dc7faac3f5d0dc4f6a32491388-1513051003_2028_photo.JPG

Sure enough, my regular pen is a Metropolitan, with a Plumix nib. I have it inked with Diamine Sapphire, which I like a lot.

I love this pen. It has replaced a gold nib Shaeffer Targa that writes similarly, but leaks on my fingers. Lovely pen too!

I've owned 4 fountain pens in my life. One was a Diplomat Excellence which is theoretically a really nice pen, but I couldn't stand it and ended up selling it. Since then I've had a Lamy Safari (F), a Lamy Logo (1.1mm) and the Pilot Metropolitan (1.0mm). By far the Metropolitan is my favourite. It's professional looking, writes consistently well in my left hand, and has a bit of heft. Plus it's far less expensive to replace as a daily driver. I managed to kill my safari on a nib swap, and the logo leaked from day 1 no matter what I did. The metropolitan has just worked without complaint.

I find it writes best with a wetter ink. Currently I'm using Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher, but I've also used Noodlers Blue Black and J. Herbin Eclat de saphir and Lamy Black (a highly underrated ink BTW). It worked with all of them flawlessly.

I find the Fine is too Fine. It's a tad scratchy on copier paper which is in the planner but I heard the Fine was really Fine on that pen. It works pretty well on good paper so I might just use it for that. I really like the feel of the pen

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I find the Fine is too Fine. It's a tad scratchy on copier paper which is in the planner but I heard the Fine was really Fine on that pen. It works pretty well on good paper so I might just use it for that. I really like the feel of the pen
Agreed. Japanese fine is too fine for me. The fact that Platinum offers a UEF nib makes my head explode. I can’t get my head around why anyone would want or need to write that small or finely. But back to the Metro - I found a good niche for it editing my daughter’s school papers. I’d probably use it more if it had a medium nib.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My EDC is a Metro with a 1.0 mm stub from a Plumix. Seeing that Metropolitans are now available with the 1.0 mm stub, I bought two more. I inked the Turquoise Retro Pop with Noodler's Sequoia and a Retro Pop Gray one with Noodler's Lexington.

I got a gold one not too long ago, visually identical to the one in the OP.
The only thing I didn't like is the opaque rubber converter. Cannot tell how much is left.
Then I realized that I could simply use up the transparent cartridge of black ink that also came with it, and then refill it with a syringe.

Agreed. Japanese fine is too fine for me. The fact that Platinum offers a UEF nib makes my head explode. I can’t get my head around why anyone would want or need to write that small or finely. But back to the Metro - I found a good niche for it editing my daughter’s school papers. I’d probably use it more if it had a medium nib.
I gather that one reason is that Japanese nibs are finer is because some Japanese writing can be much more detailed than Western writing.
proxy.php

I like the Metro's medium nib as the finest I'm likely to want to use.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I gather that one reason is that Japanese nibs are finer is because some Japanese writing can be much more detailed than Western writing.
proxy.php

I like the Metro's medium nib as the finest I'm likely to want to use.
Thanks John. Yes, I betrayed my occidental mental bias there, didn’t I? Indeed, those super fine Japanese nibs are intended for writing Asian characters. I’ve enjoyed learning more about Japanese fountain pens and their unique nibs like falcons, zooms, waverlies, posting nibs, etc.

Top Bottom