What's new

Pilot Metropolitan "Stub 1.0"

Got a Stub coming my way, it will be my first Stub. If I don't like it, I won't be out much cash. However, if I do like it, then I could look at Aurora, or other higher priced pens. The reviews I have seen appears that this nib could give your writing style a little flair? I understand some folks do not like stubs.

I have that same stub nib that I took off a plumix and put on my metropolitan. It does add a little more style to my handwriting. Let us know how it works for you once you get a chance to use it

I too have the Plumix stub, and a Lamy 1.1 italic nib. Both are a little big for the size of my every-day writing. I bought a stub nib for my Pilot Vanishing Point, but it's too sharp and sometimes cuts into my paper. My favorite nib for line variation is a Smoothline nib I pulled off of a old Conway Stewart school pen and put in my Noodler's Nib Creaper. Medium sized line, subtle thick and thin lines.

I got a Metro stub for Christmas and really like it. I used it to write a thank you note and the recipients told my wife it was beautiful. I don't write that well, so the stub nib helps.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats on the inbound pen. I hope you enjoy it. Yes, a stub will “fancy” up your regular handwriting, if that’s what you’re going for. It will not necessarily improve your handwriting or make it look like copperplate or anything.

There are essentially two ways to get the coveted “line variation” with fountain pens. One is from soft nibs that flex a bit while you write. Gold nibs are usually (not always!) softer than steel nibs and that’s one reason people like them. (As an aside, there are also “flex” nibs, but I tend to think that’s really a whole other thing intended for actual calligraphy. ) The other way to get line variation is from a specialty nib like a stub, cursive italic, architect, etc. These are easier to use and more consistent than soft nibs, but lack a personal touch or the ability to control the flair to, say, emphasize a word or punctuate a statement. I think both methods are great and have their uses.

There are essentially two ways to get the coveted “line variation” with fountain pens. One is from soft nibs that flex a bit while you write. Gold nibs are usually (not always!) softer than steel nibs and that’s one reason people like them. (As an aside, there are also “flex” nibs, but I tend to think that’s really a whole other thing intended for actual calligraphy. ) The other way to get line variation is from a specialty nib like a stub, cursive italic, architect, etc. These are easier to use and more consistent than soft nibs, but lack a personal touch or the ability to control the flair to, say, emphasize a word or punctuate a statement. I think both methods are great and have their uses.

I have a Nib Creaper and a Pilot Stub. I much prefer the Pilot. Not only is it easier, but my writing looks way better using the stub. The flex nib takes a lot of patience and practice to learn to control the ink flow. I find myself going through ink twice as fast as my other pens. I have a few Jinhao Mediums that need to be tuned a bit to be useful. I'm considering hunting down some ebay stubs to replace them with instead.

That's good information to know. My Pen should be here tomorrow via Amazon. Looking forward to playing with it.

Stub nibs are fun, they are usually just too wide for every day writing in most of my notebooks. So they get pulled out when doing greeting cards and the like where I can write bigger. That is also a fun time to pull out any shimmering type inks. Broad nibs can be a good balance for every day use for me. I can get that little bit of easy line variation, but they aren't nearly as wide, so work better in general notebooks for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Stub and italic are two different things ... but similar.

Think of a stub as an italic but with rounded edges ... so an italic has more pronounced line variations but the stub is easier to write with (especially when writing quickly)

Enjoy!

Stub and italic are two different things ... but similar.

Think of a stub as an italic but with rounded edges ... so an italic has more pronounced line variations but the stub is easier to write with (especially when writing quickly)

Enjoy!
Plus both are slightly different than cursive italic, which is an italic with the sharp corners every so slightly rounded so it doesn't feel as sharp and crisp like it'll cut/scrape the paper when making curved lines.

Well, I received my pen today and I have been having fun with it. I was pleasently surprised that there is a bit of give on downward strokes. It was fun to see, with little effort on my part, turning my otherwise mundane penmanship into something pleasing to look at (YMMV lol...)

Top Bottom