What's new

Pilot Metropolitan preference question

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
To those of you who have a (or several) Metropolitan.
Do you like the bulb/bladder squeeze converter that comes with it? Or do you like the Con40 piston converter?
What do you think the advantages and disadvantages of each are?
I ask this because I'll be ordering 2 Metros after New Year and wonder if it's really worth the extra $12 for 2 Con40s.

This seems to be fairly contentious (or at least when I was looking into a little bit ago it did), but I like the Con40. I find it easier to clean that the bulb converter, I like being able to see my ink level, and since I use my fine Metropolitan as my grading pen, I like that it has a smallish ink capacity so I get to change out my ink regularly to keep it interesting.

I didn't like that I couldn't see in the bulb converter well and it seemed to take a long time to clean and there were a lot of nooks that seemed to hold on to ink.

I heard a rumor that the "squeeze converter" that comes with some metropolitans is not intended for ink, doesn't form as good of a seal and should only be used for cleaning/flushing with water.

When I had an ink I liked and wanted a larger capacity, I preferred refilling the ink cartridge with a syringe to the bulb converter.

On a related note, SWMBO came over and sat next to me just now. Her first, unsolicited, comment was, "I hate the bulb converter."

I never bought a converter and just refill the cartridge that came with the pen with an eye dropper. The cartridge actually holds more ink than the converter does and so far has lasted me a year with no seal issues

I didn't hate the bulb converter, but didn't love it either. I did prefer filling it with a syringe rather than the dip and bulb action.

On a side note, I heard very reliable sources indicate the price on the Metro's are going up to around $22-$24 after the first of the year.

captp

I didn't hate the bulb converter, but didn't love it either. I did prefer filling it with a syringe rather than the dip and bulb action.

On a side note, I heard very reliable sources indicate the price on the Metro's are going up to around $22-$24 after the first of the year.
Thanks for the heads-up, Dustin. I'll be ordering on the 31st when retirement comes in. And even then, they're still a bargain based on the reviews of it.

Thanks for the heads-up, Dustin. I'll be ordering on the 31st when retirement comes in. And even then, they're still a bargain based on the reviews of it.
Agreed, but that could be just enough price point jump to knock them off the very top of the best value entry level pen spot they have sat in for so long. Time will tell on that one, tho. :)

It's not surprising they are going up. I passed on Varsity's to a number of people and they love them. Most of them want to step up to a better pen. I think FPs have become one of the new fads which means prices are going up and you'll see more brick and mortar shops.

I just use the squeeze converter it came with. Itndoes its job well enough. Would it be more convenient if you could see ink level? Sure, but I don't use mine enough to worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I never liked the squeeze converter. Ink just didn't seem to flow well when I was using it. I don't like the converter much either. They are noisy with those bbs in there, and they don't hold enough ink. I refill the cartridges.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I don't mind any squeeze converter because of their ease of use one-handed, an advantage when you have an ink bottle that needs to be tipped. Neither holds much ink.

captp

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I decided to order without the Con40. If I don't like the squeeze bulb converter, the Con40 is cheap enough to order later.

I've never owned a Metropolitan, when you say squeeze converter, are you referring to the Con 20?

Of course, I've never owned one of these either [emoji16]
proxy.php

captp

I've never owned a Metropolitan, when you say squeeze converter, are you referring to the Con 20?

No. It's a bladder in metal "clips" that you squeeze, much like a turkey baster to suck ink up into the pen. It is not available separately.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
When I got my Metro, I popped in the black cartridge; it’s been running strong this past week. When it inevitably runs out, I’m on the fence about whether to refill the cartridge or use the converter. I suppose I’ll try both eventually.

captp

When I got my Metro, I popped in the black cartridge; it’s been running strong this past week. When it inevitably runs out, I’m on the fence about whether to refill the cartridge or use the converter. I suppose I’ll try both eventually.
I might use the carts at some point, but I got the 2 Metros for 2 other colors of ink, so I have to use the intended color first. I might decant the black cart ink into a sample vial to use in my black pen.

Top Bottom