What's new

Pilot Metropolitan - Broad Nib?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The old-school Pilot 78g came in 4 nib sizes ... F, M, B, and BB. B and BB were both stub/italic nibs.

The Metropolitan was essentially the "same" pen but with a different body (79g plastic, Metro metal) and with the Metro having a "step down" where the pen parts joined ...
1624313249482.png

... that wasn't there on the 78g.
1624313321887.png

These were the 78g nibs:
1624313358897.png

1624313371271.png

My suspicion is that the Metro used the same set of nib sizes, including B and BB. (Typically, most pens available were F or M ... B and BB were harder to find. IIRC when the Metro first came out, it seemed like only the M was available.)

A few years back, the 78g seemed to be discontinued. A few years after that, they brought out a new-and-improved "78g+" pen.

1624313546242.png

I've never tried the 78g+, so can't say if the B nib is still a stub, or if they have a BB.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I read somewhere that the 78 and Metro have the same nibs. So I guess you could swap a B 78 nib into a Metro if you really want.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Recently I saw some negative reviews about the metropolitan stub so I bought the M.

Recently I saw some negative reviews about the metropolitan stub so I bought the M.

Hmmm, negative reviews? Maybe I was fortunate enough to get ahold of a good one, I could use it as a daily writer. My Leonardo Officina Momento 1.5mm is only used for special occasions as it is too broad with the 1.5mm stub.

Top Bottom