What's new

Pilot 78G

lots on eBay as well for $9.99 shipped...or is there something i'm missing as for buying from eBay...do they counterfeit $10 pens?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
There are $10 Pilot 78G pens out there, go for it, I've never heard of a counterfeit. Remember, the broad nib has no iridium and may be tough for a beginner to easily master.

lots on eBay as well for $9.99 shipped...or is there something i'm missing as for buying from eBay...do they counterfeit $10 pens?

For reasons I can't fathom, people counterfeit hero 616s. I've not heard of counterfeit Pilot 78gs, but I guess anything is possible. I bought a 3 pack from some seller in hong kong, and they are nice.

On sale at isellpens.com for $12.88 ($18.88 landed price).

1 PEN..... "For Example in most cases it costs $20.00 to ship to Canada"
fine print..... We reserve the right to charge a $20.00 restocking fee on any cancelled order

REALLY! $20 to ship me a pen to canada? come one.

this is why i don't buy from certain retailers....how can a guys in the US like WestCoastShaving or TheSuperiorShave, mail me stuff for $2-3 and a Pen from these guys, who appear to be in the USA will cost me $20+

so some of the $25 pens i'm looking at from them, end up costing $45-50

Last edited:
Some of us hate Canada more then others?

1 PEN..... "For Example in most cases it costs $20.00 to ship to Canada"
fine print..... We reserve the right to charge a $20.00 restocking fee on any cancelled order

REALLY! $20 to ship me a pen to canada? come one.

this is why i don't buy from certain retailers....how can a guys in the US like WestCoastShaving or TheSuperiorShave, mail me stuff for $2-3 and a Pen from these guys, who appear to be in the USA will cost me $20+

so some of the $25 pens i'm looking at from them, end up costing $45-50

Some of us hate Canada more then others?
:sneaky2:

In some cases I think the price difference is for insurance on the shipment, although paying $20 to insure a $10 item seems a little off to me as well.

In some cases I think we are just getting shafted.

I tend to gravitate to vendors that have free shipping, reasonable shipping to Canada or free shipping if purchase is over $x.xx.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I tend to gravitate to vendors that have free shipping, reasonable shipping to Canada or free shipping if purchase is over $x.xx.

On e-bay, I always use the "cost+shipping lowest first" mode to sort through stuff, and anyone who doesn't have shipping to Canada figured out gets swept aside. (That's usually American sellers, who are either CONUS-only, which I can respect, or just disorganised enough not to know how much the shipping will cost.)

And on websites, US-based retailers are particularly bad at hiding the 'where we ship to outside the lower 48' info far too often.

But there are some who combine reasonable pricing with to-Canada-friendly shipping, and they get my business. :wink2:

I bought 2 78Gs (M & B nibs) from jetpens.com for $14 apiece; over $25 they ship for free. If you're outside of California, there's no tax.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have one with a fine nib, and it's like writing with a toothpick. I was about to chuck it, but discovered it works well with a very wet and flowing ink- looks nice with Black Swan in Australian Roses, practically invisible with Poussiere de Lune.

I have the 78G with B nib which I purchased from a Hong Kong seller for $10.00 shipped. It took 2 weeks to receive it but it's my all time favorite pen. The first pen arrived with 2 cracks in the barrel but they didn't affect the pen's usage at all and the seller sent a replacement with no hassle at all once I emailed him photos.

I also have the 78G with BB nib which I purchase from a US seller for $25.00. I'm not completely sold on it yet but only because the nib doesn't work particularly well with my writing style.

Both are absolutely smooth writers though and I am in no rush to buy an expensive pen with these 2 in my pocket.

Just received my 78G M along with a bottle of Noodler's Black (from Amazon). This is my first real fountain pen in as long as I remember (my TWSBI shipped this morning according to the notification). So I supposed I should flush the pen with soapy water before loading it with ink?

There are $10 Pilot 78G pens out there, go for it, I've never heard of a counterfeit. Remember, the broad nib has no iridium and may be tough for a beginner to easily master.

The broad nib is also italic. I really like my broad nib 78G. It and the B&B Edison are the two pens I carry around all the time. Plus a Kaweco Sport.

Top Bottom