What's new

PIF 🖖🏼

I'm in. I came across the forum when I was researching DE shaving after hearing about it somewhere else in late 2014. Since then, in large part from all of the information, advice, product suggestions, etc. from all of you on here, I've come to get enjoyable, irritation-free shaves (unlike with cartridge and electric before starting DE) usually 6 days a week.

I’m in! Nice PIF
I joined B&B during the lockdown because I decided to use some of my commute time to learn how to use a DE and a straight razor. Bonus has been learning how to up my game for soaps and brushes where frankly I had been pretty stale (same single soap and brush for 10 years).

I wasn’t exactly sure how I was gonna go about this, but I guess I’ll just keep it going for the rest of the week and pick a winner this weekend. It’s been great to read all the answers. Thanks for your participation! 🖖🏼

Wonderful pif, thank you for your generosity! You are carrying on the tradition of gentlemen helping gentlemen, well done sir. Respectfully, not in. But I will reply I joined B & B to learn more about this wonderful pastime of wet shaving. I started wanting to learn how to get better shaves. I quickly met many wonderful forum members who have become good friends. This is a community built on our shared interest, but the banter, sharing, laughing & crying we do together as a community is what keeps me coming back. Thank you for asking, & thank you to all.

I'm in.

I enlisted in the Army when I was a teenager. At Fort Leonard Wood during BCT our Drill Sergeants would randomly inspect us privates while standing in line for morning chow. If anything wasn't squared away, you got sent to the back of the line...which you didn't want to happen because the guys in the very back had about 20 seconds to eat as much as they could before the whistle blew. Well, one thing they check was whether or not they could feel stubble under your chin. I was getting sent back a lot because of my inability to shave against the grain without absolutely shredding my skin.
I got fed up with it and eventually went to sick hall to get a shave profile(waiver). The Doc that signed off on my profile had some assistant and he recommended learning to shave with a straight razor and this website. He wrote it down on the back of one of the pieces of paper I was given while at sick hall that was promptly forgotten about.
Fast forward some....I don't know...8 or 9 months and I'm going through my 'important papers' box looking for something unrelated and found it again... And here we are.

I'm in.

I'd been using an electric, a Norelco rotary, for some years. Never really worried about the stubble it left behind, but replacing the blades was going to be $$$. Then, bugging out for a hurricane in 2012, I forgot the electric at home. In Jackson, MS, I bought a packet of the BIC disposable razors and a can of Barbasol . . . and had the best and closest shave I'd gotten in years. When I got back home, I started researching, bought a Merkur and then a Slim, and was off to the races.

Great answers everyone! Thanks for participating. Figured I’d give it one more day in case anyone else wants to get in on the action. I’ll pick a winner tomorrow. Enjoy! 💈🖖🏼💈

This is really generous! Please count me I'm in.

Like many others, I was initially a lurker. I used the information from this forum to help me improve my shaves and inform my purchases. IIRC, after a while, I had a question that I had not seen addressed before. That led me to join the forum officially. The quality of the group members and their willingness to help out others has kept me coming back. 🙂

*Update*
I received the package from Vulcan Bubbles last week. He packed it extremely well, padding the aftershave bottles with lots of bathroom tissue and napkins before placing them in Ziplock bags to prevent spilling. He also used quite a few packing peanuts to help prevent to the tin of soap and the bottles of aftershave from becoming damaged by banging into one another. I'm super grateful to him for both his generosity and his packing skills!

I tried the soap during my last shave and it was okay. I'll need to use it a little more to dial in how to use it properly. In the tin, the soap smelled a bit like Cool Water (a popular cologne among my peers in high school) but once applied, it reminded me of Irish Springs bar soap. Since I happen to like both scents, I am happy with the scent.

I applied the Stirling Spice as my aftershave splash tonight. It started off like Green Flannel, which is a EDT I like and wear. However, after a couple minutes, it started to become more powdery and reminded me just a bit of Clubman Pinaud. (I've never tried Old Spice in any of its incarnations so I can't compare the Stirling Spice to Old Spice whatsoever.) The Stirling Spice smells okay; I'll probably end up applying it with Grey Flannel.

I've only sampled a little of the 40. From what I tried, I found it to be a very strong aftershave. The scent is leathery but also reminds me of Vitalis Hair Tonic. I think I'll hold off on applying it until I plan to be outdoors immediately after shaving. It's not that I dislike the scent, but that the scent is extremely potent and would probably be better worn outdoors or in a well-ventilated room.

In any case, thanks again to Vulcan Bubbles for the PIF!

I'm in. I came across a reference to the site on another forum, began reading, and loved the possibility of improving upon a cartridge shave (in quality and price, potentially). I haven't turned back.

Top Bottom