What's new

PIF: Used GD66, Sanitized and Re-Honed

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This Gold Dollar 66 was returned to me by someone who just didn't catch on to how to use it. Damaged goods? You decide. It has been re-honed to Method standards and sanitized in genuine Barbicide. This PIF is open to straight razor newbies who:

1. already own a usable strop and can post a pic of it, and
2. have at least 10 quality posts on the topic of straight razor shaving, and
3. own only one other straight razor, or none at all.
4. strike me as being straight shaver material. Plead your case! Tell us why you should be one of the chosen! Probably won't make any difference, but it will entertain!
https://youtu.be/fUVK1HKE3sg

So if you qualify, reply with pic of your strop and the words "I'M IN!" and if more than one qualify, winner will be determined in the customary manner. The lucky winner is expected to shave with it and render his impressions, just to brush my already inflated ego even more.

Not celebrating any special occasion. Just trying to help bring another new straight shaver into the pack.

Hmmm...I just did something similar yesterday. Guy I know was all interested in the "Cowboy Shaving" concept. Has been for years. So, I put together a kit for him. Everything but a strop. Sadly, I didn't have one to donate to the cause.
Did include a GD 66 which I clobbered into submission and developed into a pretty nice shaver. Finished on a Naniwa 12K. Decent edge for sure.
Omega Pro S-brush, tube of C.O. Bigelow, tub each of some Wilkinson Sword soap, a Wal Mart edition lather bowl, some Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera cream, and a small bottle of aftershave balm.
He'll have to get his own hat, boots, and spurs...along with the strop.🤠

I just sharpened my pocket knife on a sand stone in the yard this weekend. Will a sand stone work? BRB going out in search of a strop.....

Not in on this one. Good luck to all....

I’m in.

Slash this is indeed a very generous PIF. Based on you criteria, I think that I qualify for your consideration. I have a Tony Miller Horse Hide and Linen strop as required and only one other straight razor a Ralf Aust 5/8” round point with Africa Blackwood scales.

My case:
I am a new straight razor shaver with only 6 shaves under my belt. I am a dedicated student of The Method with a full set of lapping films, acrylic block, balsa strops and diamond paste. I have the equipment, time and dedication to look after this blade. I vow to use the blade, post my results, maintain it and pass it forward to a worthy newby with additional Method supplies when the time comes.

This PIF could not have come at any better timing for me. Only yesterday I vowed to not buy anymore shaving equipment after several members painfully pointed out that I have almost certainly over capitalised on my shaving equipment. One single set up has clocked in at over $1000! I have a baby on the way and I need help fuel my obsession without spending any more money. I also need a lesson in how budget shaving gear compares with the expensive stuff. And of course I would value the opportunity to compare my Method edge to one prepared by the master.

I look forward to your decision and the responses of the other candidates.

7755DCEA-B589-46A8-87EA-165479155982.jpeg

Great PIF, respectfully not in. While I would love to have one of your blades with a Method edge on it, I don’t qualify. Good luck to all the entrants!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
@Tomo I would say you are IN, then! You sound like you got the right stuff. Wow I think I would grab a cheap strop for learning on, though. Unless you are really confident that you won't nick or slice your TM Horse.

Best way to budget for straight shaving is only buy something when SWMBO buys a pair of shoes, cosmetics, new clothing, (Sorry, thrift store purchases don't count, that's a gimme) or you take her out for dinner. You lose a turn if you buy a gun, fishing pole, or more than two cases of beer in a week. It is okay to buy shave gear for the baby, just in case it's a boy. Don't forget, you have to try it out and make sure it is safe to use, before he gets big enough to want to shave.

Awesome PIF, but not in as I have multiple straight razors. Thanks for helping others in their efforts at learning to use a straight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tomo - There are lots of great soaps out there that won't break the bank and add some variety to your shaving session. I'm a fan of the Stirling soaps. Babies are money eaters. That said, you are a lucky guy to have one coming your way! Brushes... With all that great gear, if you need a new brush try a synthetic... huge bang for minimal dollars.

Out for a myriad of reasons, but very cool PIF nonetheless (does using nonetheless and myriad add quality to this post?). I won a straight in an earlier PIF and still am working up the courage to do more than just a single pass on each cheek.

That's a very fine PIF and a good formulated one too. I wish I could join, but taking one glance into my straight razor room made me realise that I'm not fully qualified att the moment.
Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that you might have one or two too many razors to be considered for the PIF. :lol:

I’d have to say that my strop is the best strop. I owe Slash a review of the masterpiece I bought from him, but in the interim, two things:

1) My strop comment is truth, and you’ll have to simply accept it as such.
2) Anyone returning a perfectly good SR raises my eyebrows a bit.

I don’t need to be in the contest, but I will be buying one of Slash’s creations for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom