What's new

PIF - Tattooed Gillette. (Sorry hard core collectors, I couldn't help myself.)

I wished the story of winning the love of my life was as romantic or as special as the most of you but its rather mundane imo.

We met at a gathering with her friends at a drinking pub and we just hit it off. However, she was previously married and carried some of the baggage from it and in the first year we must have broken up 11 times lol.

Long story short like a straight razor and good honing stone. We both wore each other in lol.

I was going to propose but my mom had a bad fall last week and has been hospitalised. She had a recent stroke albeit minor stroke so that has put paid to my plans w my gal for the near future as I'm getting a caregiver for my mom.

Not the best start to the new year but family first!

Wow, very cool engraving! I'm in.
I met my wife while visiting my previous year's roommates in college. I had a summer job in CA that I didn't like, so I quit halfway through the summer, drove to Utah where I left my car with my roommates, then flew to NC. Over the weekend before my flight left, I was doing laundry and on my way back to the apartment saw this cute girl standing on the hood of a car and trying to lift herself up to the second floor balcony via the wrought iron railing. So, I went over and gave her a hand, we talked for an hour, and I asked her out for the next day to a speaker event on campus. I flew home the next day, and didn't see her again for a couple of months, but thought about her every day. Six months later we were engaged, and married six months after that. It has been 37 years now, and she's still my best friend.

I'm in.

I was working the registration tables for Art College, specifically the table for Printmaking. Students go through the gauntlet with their papers for the classes they wanted to take. We just made sure they had the prerequisites and that there was still openings for the specific courses. This is in the days of Hollerith cards and IBM 360 mainframes, so it was all done by hand. SWMBO stops by and hands me her sheet, and I say "Oh, you want to take Lithography! Good choice. It's still open. The instructor sounds cranky at times but he knows his stuff." She was wearing a light blue cotton peasant blouse and jeans. As it happened, I was taking the same course so we saw each other a lot, especially in the evenings when there was available press time.
The second meeting was before classes actually started. My new house-mate knew her from Illinois Wesleyan University and had to return a book to her, so I tagged along and met her at her place which she was just moving into. The book was Barbara A. Rose's (no relation) "Readings in American Art Since 1900: A Documentary Survey".
We got married within two years, if I remember correctly. I proposed in the Printmaking Studio, at Press #3. That was in 1975.

Here's a recent pic of the same press:
proxy.php

At the right is the same window that she stared out through for an agonizingly long time before she said "yes".

Wonderful story!! Congratulations on getting the girl! :clap: :clap:

I'll bite.
My love is my finance, we are planning to get married in April, both in our 50's. Not how we met but an interesting detail, I was the soloist at her wedding in 1992. Skip ahead to 2012, both our spouses cheated on us and left. After exchanging a couple emails I finally asked her out for coffee. When I saw her walking across the parking lot at the coffee shop, she was the most beautiful woman in the world. We talked for hours and the staff at the shop finally told us we had to leave so they could close up. We've been dating ever since and now that the divorces are all settled it's time to tie the knot. By the way, she love motorcycling, canoeing and camping, she's a catch.

Dale

I'll bite.
My love is my finance, we are planning to get married in April, both in our 50's. Not how we met but an interesting detail, I was the soloist at her wedding in 1992. Skip ahead to 2012, both our spouses cheated on us and left. After exchanging a couple emails I finally asked her out for coffee. When I saw her walking across the parking lot at the coffee shop, she was the most beautiful woman in the world. We talked for hours and the staff at the shop finally told us we had to leave so they could close up. We've been dating ever since and now that the divorces are all settled it's time to tie the knot. By the way, she love motorcycling, canoeing and camping, she's a catch.

Dale

Great story. Any gal that's into motorcycles is hot Hot HOT! Sounds like you have a kid one. But I have a question?? Does SE DE shave??? I'm into converting everyone. If she's not, maybe she should. My wife is starting to DE shave and she's wishing there was a forum for women so they can discuss their issues. Maybe B&B can come up with something.

Congratulations on your impending nuptials.

Not in because I've already won a PIF this month and want others to benefit.
BUT...do you do engraving for money? Because I dang sure would be interested in you doing some of that fantastic work for me.
Very cool and what a great PIF!
This place never ceases to amaze me.
Awesome.
I put my name into the hat. It's something I'll be proud to own n display.
HDSledge will u consider tattooing some of my other razors for a price?
Regards,
Mawashi

I'm still new to the art at this stage and would hate it if I ruined someone else's razor. If you have one you wouldn't mind possibly being damaged pm me and I'll give it a shot. I have only etched brass caps 2 times so far (Razorine and Dragon Tech) but will try other metals and plating if anyone has an expendable razor for me to experiment on. It could wind up great, or a disaster. No charge for either outcome.

I'm in, or would be if I had a romance story, but considering I'm single.. :001_rolle:001_tt2:
That being said, you did an incredible job on it, and whoever of us is lucky enough to win it will be in for a real treat!
You are in. Make something up and it better be good. :001_cool:

Man...That's a beautiful design. I'd love to be in but as I'm single I don't have a story to share about a lady love. :001_tongu

I'm in.
I first met my wife on a blind date. A friend of hers was dating my brother (who is one year older than I) back when we were both in college in NYC. We dated for six months or so, but the magic didn't seem to be there and I stopped calling (and my brother had broken up with her friend). Fast forward a year and I'm wondering why I stopped seeing her. So after preparing myself with sufficient alcohol to dull the pain of a flat out rejection, I gave her a call. To my surprise she agreed to meet me. I got tickets to a show and we agreed to meet at O'Neals, a bar across from Lincoln Center at 7 pm. I got there early so I sat at the bar and had a drink. At 7:10 when she still wasn't there, I had another drink. At 7:25 I had one last drink, figured I didn't deserve any better and stumbled outside, since 3 drinks on an empty stomach even then was a bit much for me. Of course, I stumbled right into my wife who was waiting in the rain under an umbrella. Thus began the first argument of our life together. If I say, "I'll meet you at O'Neals", does that mean "inside" O'Neals or "outside" O'neals?
We didn't have much time to get to the show, but we quickly stopped at a deli so that I could get something into my belly; she politely declined my offer of a TastyKake Pie and container of milk, and we dashed off to see "Waiting for Godot" (apt choice, huh?). After the show we went to dinner as planned, but back in those pre-credit card and pre cash-machine days you had to have money with you. After the 3 drinks and the deli snack, I was just barely able to cover the bill, but in order to pay the tip I had to use a lucky silver dollar that I always carried around with me. The next day I got a call from my wife telling me that she wanted to meet me; she had something for me. It was a silver dollar in one of those plastic display cases. A few months later we were engaged, and in August of 1973 we were married. It's now 45+ years, 4 children and 6 grandchildren later and she's still just as sweet a person as she was then!

Wow...very cool.

I think you sell yourself short on the collector value...maybe for a purist but I personally find it to be a one of a kind awesome thing that really distinguishes it from others.

I'm in.

As far as meeting the love of my life.

I was walking through her dorm lobby with a friend and she and one of her friends were watching an old black and white movie on TV. I asked her what it was and told her that my favorite movie was Casablanca and that she could borrow my copy any time she wanted.

We ended up sharing a major at a small college so spent lots of time together and our love of old black and white movies still runs strong today.

When I was using my brush to lather my face this morning she told me it reminded her of Cary Grant in North By Northwest (not black and white but still a great old movie).

I'm still new to the art at this stage and would hate it if I ruined someone else's razor. If you have one you wouldn't mind possibly being damaged pm me and I'll give it a shot. I have only etched brass caps 2 times so far (Razorine and Dragon Tech) but will try other metals and plating if anyone has an expendable razor for me to experiment on. It could wind up great, or a disaster. No charge for either outcome.

HD, I've seen far worse happen to really good razors simply from neglect n abuse, what u're doing to some of these razors is giving em a fresh lease on life. I know of a couple of razors I'll gladly send em your way lol.

If I do get your razor it'll e something I'll truly treasure.
I did rescue something from a bay swamp lol
What did I pull outta the swamp?

Thanks for the compliments folks. I have agreed to take a gratis shot at a couple of other members razor caps and if I don't mess theirs up too bad I'll try with yours @mawashi.

That looks amazing! Awesome job!
The wife and I worked 2nd shift at the same factory but different departments. I watched her walk by for six months too chicken to talk to her. Apparently she was doing the same thing to me. Her friend finally said something to me one night. Apparently she was sick of watching us make googly eyes at each other. That night after work I waited at the door for her to come out. I walked her to her car and we stood there in the parking lot for almost an hour talking. We agreed to meet each other for lunch the next day which lead to many dates afterwards. We're now two kids and 26 years later.

I’m in. I saw my wife dancing on the dance floor in 1981, told my friends I’m going to meet her by the time I got down from the balcony she was gone. A friend of mine said she was in one of his classes so the next week he introduced us in the library. My grades jumped because if I wanted to see her I had to go to the library and study. She still is the love of my life 38 years later.

I'm in!

proxy.php

I met my better half playing Dark Age of Camelot. The game is a three realm RvRvR MMORPG. I had been solely playing Midgard since launch, and I decided that I wanted to try out Hibernia. A coworker had a guild set up in Hib, so I rolled a new character there and joined. I was solo leveling for a bit, as almost all of the members were higher level. Once I got into the mid-30s, someone from the guild asked if I wanted to tank for their XP group. Sure!

We leveled together from the 30s to max level. They were healing, I was tanking. A tale as old as time. We started chatting on AIM (get off of my lawn), just friendly banter. We had similar senses of humor. We clicked, but didn't live in the same state. It happens!

I received a job interview request from a place that was super close to where they lived. It was for the creators of the game that we were playing, so I was stoked. I asked if they could pick me up at the airport, about 20 minutes away, and they agreed.

I fly in, and I'm super nervous. I have the job interview jitters, but I also know that I have a crush going on as well. But...they could be a dude named Chuck! Nothing wrong with that, but it's not my jam. So, I walk out of the terminal, and there they are.

She's a she! Woo! She's attractive! Woohoo!

We chat in the car, and it's...not weird. It's just like our previous interactions. Huge relief. The interview went well, as it turns out. I received an offer before flying out the next morning. She picks me up to bring me to the airport, and I take the plunge and ask if she would like to go out when I move there in four whole days.

Top Bottom