What's new

PIF: Take a razor, add a razor

Used the Phoenix Bakelite Slant today.

It was interesting.

Not NEARLY as smooth as my German 37. I swear, with the 37, even with 2-3 days beard growth I can't hardly tell I'm shaving UNLESS I get sloppy around my nose and nick it.

I could DEFINITELY tell I was shaving today. It was VERY loud. I can't say it was uncomfortable but almost a slight feeling of tugging.

Yet I was pleasantly surprised that I had a nice close shave (still very smooth at 2:30) and absolutely no irritation afterward or throughout the day.

I forgot to mention that but the Bakelite slant has more auditory feedback than any other razor I’ve used. It always worked well for me, I just miss the extra weight any time use a Bakelite Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that but the Bakelite slant has more auditory feedback than any other razor I’ve used. It always worked well for me, I just miss the extra weight any time use a Bakelite Razor.

Yes...definitely VERY loud.

I'm planning on trying it another time...like I said it wasn't as smooth as my 37 but the result was great. And I love me some Bakelite

Used the Maggard's set today.

LOVE the handle.

Open Comb, V2: I liked it. Nothing noticeable to write about good or bad...just a good decent DE head

Closed Combs, V3 and V3a: I think these might have been the worst experience I've had with any razor so far since I started DE shaving in Feb. Rough, the V3 was not very efficient, left irritation, and the V3a, while more comfortable over all than the V3 gave me a nasty nick because of the crazy gap

A bummer too because I REALLY like the handle

Used the Ever Ready 1914 (Little Lather Catcher) on one side and the GEM G Bar on the other today.

The Ever Ready was the first SE I've ever used that I can't say I really liked. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good. A little tougher than most SE I've used and my wife felt my cheeks after and said it wasn't as smooth as the G Bar side either.

I really enjoyed the G Bar. I like SE and GEMs in general. I had heard it was mild, which it is but it still gave a nice smooth shave. I wouldn't out it above my MMOC but it's not too far behind either.

LOVE the handle.

Open Comb, V2: I liked it. Nothing noticeable to write about good or bad...just a good decent DE head

Closed Combs, V3 and V3a: I think these might have been the worst experience I've had with any razor so far since I started DE shaving in Feb. Rough, the V3 was not very efficient, left irritation, and the V3a, while more comfortable over all than the V3 gave me a nasty nick because of the crazy gap

Sad to hear the V3a bit you. I liked it so much I almost didn’t put it in the box. But who says you can’t keep the handle if you like it?

I was thinking I could add a straight razor so anyone can try a straight if they want and a travel strop. I do have an extra straight and strop. Would that be something you guys would be interrested in?

I was thinking I could add a straight razor so anyone can try a straight if they want and a travel strop. I do have an extra straight and strop. Would that be something you guys would be interrested in?

Yes, please! I'll have to go through my den and see what I have to contribute. I know I have some software I can throw in for all to try. Thanks again all!

Ok. I will get those ready so when I have the box I can add one.

I do know this is a safety razor box but I have seen threads some people have never tried straights and been curious. This would be a way they can try a straight without having to spend money. I will include a straight that is already honed and a eel leather and cotton travel strop I got from naked armor when I first started wet shaving. This strop is perfect for the box as it's small thin and very flexible. It will not crack being rolled up tightly. This way the box can still be kept the same size. Its not top quality but it does work well.

Last edited:
I have a straight and a travel strop ready to be added into the box. Is this a box that keeps recirculating? I was thinking the straight and strop can be kept in the box so anyone who is curious to try a straight can do so without having to buy everything to try it.

LOVE the handle.

I passed on the v3a when I had the box... later bought a v3a head it is now on of my favorites! It is easily misunderstood, and needs to be handled with respect and took multiple tries for me to find its value. You have to load blade carefully to make sure it is even, a bit off and it’s very unruly. I found it not to be as aggressive as it’s reputation. I started with a low angle not quite riding the cap, then increase the angle for known trouble spots...and have got the closest and most comfortable DE shaves ever

Top Bottom