What's new

PIF: Take a razor, add a razor

This morning I decided to try out the black tip super speed and the old spice cream someone added to the box. While I mostly enjoyed the cream I was surprised that the scent wasn’t stronger, it was relatively disappointing in that regard.

Superspeeds are some of my favorite razors, I’m particularly fond of my 54 flare tip so I had to try the black tip and it didn’t disappoint. It’s a great shaver and fairly mild. It’s definitely a contender for staying with me. I know it would get heavy rotation with the rest of my super speeds

I plan to try out a handful of the mild shaving DEs and then try out an injector and a few SE for the first time. I’ll keep everyone posted as I work through the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought an autostrop and found out the best way to modify a Gem blade is the following for anyone else that wants to use the one in box.

Simply despine the Gem blade and that is it. The 2 cut outs under the spine if you load the blade on an angle will lock the blade in place on the tabs on even if sometimes a little uneven which can be adjusted afterwards.

Tonight I had about two days growth and I was feeling adventurous so I gave the Razorine a go. My first thought was how the hell do you align the blade in this damn thing for about 5 minutes. I was using Arko Hydrate cream which I’ve had good luck with in the past.

My first pass (WTG) took some getting used to, mainly figuring out how to line up my sideburn without my hand blocking my view. After I figured that out it actually went smoothly and I was having a great time. Then I started my second pass (ATG) and I was feeling more confident so I picked up the pace... big mistake lol. There were a few nicks and a generous alum burn in my future. Overall I enjoyed the Razorine but I’m just not sure how practical it is. It’s beautiful but it took me twice as long to shave with it. One major upside is that I did get a VERY close shave and I’m not sure I’ve ever used something better for shaving under my nose. My upper lip is smooooothhh

I’ll post a full list his weekend but I’m definitely planning to try the injector, the feather popular, and one of the SEs. Any suggestions on which SE to try first? I’ve never used one before

I would suggest try the G Bar
the G bar is milder than the MMOC.
I can vouch for the MMOC aggressiveness.
Also those carbon blades in box start out a bit rough and need a bit of a break in.
(I have yet to test drive the ever ready)

I would suggest try the G Bar
the G bar is milder than the MMOC.
I can vouch for the MMOC aggressiveness.
Also those carbon blades in box start out a bit rough and need a bit of a break in.
(I have yet to test drive the ever ready)

I'll agree on the G-bar being a mild razor for an SE but the MMOC is nowhere as aggressive as others make it out to be especially if you use it with a one of the stainless ptfe blades in the box. It is more mid grade if anything else. The thing with SE blades as I've found out is you need to get used to shaving with that type of a blade. Once you acclimate then it is like shaving with a DE. If it is rough for a few shaves with that G-bar put down the SE use something else and come back to it in a few days and you'll see how much the shave improves feel wise and such.

So last night I shaved with the feather popular. I paired it with a feather blade per suggestions and still found it to be too mild. In my opinion the popular is more mild than the Krona even. It was just too difficult to find a workable angle for me. I think it would be a great starter as it should be almost impossible to cut yourself with this razor.

i'm a big fan of the feather popular, I ended up buying one, and now vaguely considering it big brother the A2-D2. i was able to get DFS with it (maybe its my asian influence), at any angle there is virtually no blade input shaving with this, i think i ended up using a more pressure to get a closer shave. it is almost magical in the cut/nick free sense. if i ever had to do a blindfold challenge this would be my razor

This morning I decided to take the injector for a spin since I’ve never used one before. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. This jumped pretty far up the list and may be a keeper. I could definitely see an injector being handy for mindless shave days as it’s pretty intuitive. I also think I may be able to convince my wife to give it go and make the house officially a cartridge free zone.

I have a handful of razors left to try and then the final decision. I plan to get the box back on it’s way this weekend or early next week

Tried so far:
Gillette Black Tip
Razorine
Feather Popular
Schick Injector

Still to try:
G-Bar
MMOC
Maggard Set

Last night I tried out the GBar for my first SE shave. Honestly I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. see definitely has a different feel but for me it actually seemed to cut the hair more effortlessly than most DEs.

I also tried out the zote and one of the custom oils, the non menthol oil. The oil I enjoyed quite a bit and it didn’t seem to kill my lather like some oils do. I wish I could say the same for the zote. I was looking forward to it working well as I love multitaskers and I already know zote works well in laundry. For me the zote fell flat. It wasn’t particularly slick, it wasn’t particularly easy to lather, and it left my skin drier than the Sahara. The oil helped the zote quite a bit with the slickness and I got an ok shave, it just didn’t meet enough of my needs to pick any up. Arko has a very similar scent but out performs Zote in every way for me but ymmv.

I packed up the box and I’ll be sending it out tomorrow morning. I ended up being torn between the first two razors I tried, the black tip and the Razorine. As I couldn’t make a decision, I decided to keep both. In return I added the following items to the box. I wanted to choose wisely based on what else was in the box. I added a prewar tech for people to compare to the fat handled tech. I also added a Bakelite Slant from PAA. It should make a nice contrast to the clix. It’s light weight but surprisingly efficient. To help even the pot I also added a tuck of feather blades to try in the feather razor, a sample container I filled with Proraso Red Cream, and a puck of Williams. I feel like everyone should try feather blades and Proraso red at least once and the Williams should allow people to experience the Arko vs Williams debate first hand since there was Arko in the box. Thanks everyone for the opportunity to experience so many new razors and some top notch oil too. I may throw in another handful of random blades before I ship it in the morning.

proxy.php

I forgot to mention but the box was a bit beat up so I went ahead and swapped it for a new one. same size, medium flat rate.

I am removing myself from the list since the razorine is no longer in the box.

Current list from the last listing I could find should be the following.

MyOldKentuckyHome - box in transit
spolct
Suhrim21
jldallas
ryinzana

Package arrived today.

Here's where we currently stand with contents (click thumbnail to enlarge):IMG_20190509_145442.jpg

Here's what I'm actually planning on trying (click on thumbnail to enlarge):
IMG_20190509_151116.jpg

Very excited to try the Bakelite slant...I love bakelite in general and my most common razor these days is my German 37 slant.

I too was bummed the Razorine didn't make it to me but I almost bought the Bakelite slant earlier this year so what a replacement!

As a SE lover I've got to try the GBar and various Star and EverReadys as well.

I've heard a lot about the Feather so figured I'd give it a whirl.

And I'm digging the Maggard handle...will try it with the included heads (particularly excited to try the open comb) but I've got a Stahly Live head that could use a more conventional handle.

The Clix, well, like I said... I have a thing for bakelite.

Used the Phoenix Bakelite Slant today.

It was interesting.

Not NEARLY as smooth as my German 37. I swear, with the 37, even with 2-3 days beard growth I can't hardly tell I'm shaving UNLESS I get sloppy around my nose and nick it.

I could DEFINITELY tell I was shaving today. It was VERY loud. I can't say it was uncomfortable but almost a slight feeling of tugging.

Yet I was pleasantly surprised that I had a nice close shave (still very smooth at 2:30) and absolutely no irritation afterward or throughout the day.

Top Bottom