What's new

PIF: Take a razor, add a razor

The rapira was aother sleeper in the group got a surprisingly very, very good 2 pass shave, for an inexpensive razor, i think the rapira razor rapira blade combo was its advantage. It however did not make final cut since I found and bought one for $7 on auction site (approx 2 month delivery)

The one in the box took two months to arrive and seemed to have a rough time getting through customs. Actually got sent back once. Hopefully yours will be easier. For a while Italian Barber had them for $4 and of course without the long wait. Haven't checked lately but if you've already ordered yours . . .

Glad you like the German 37. That's one of the ones I added. I like the Maggard handle. Was the hardest thing to place in the box because I will miss it, but handle preferences are so personal it doesn't surprise me that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I ended up liking the Maggard handle. It just took a second use to understand the weight. It is a very good handle and next owner will be very happy with it. I was lusting for it but It will stay in box since I have spare Weber handle. I think there are a few seconds left on the bay. Looks like your castaways And I get along. I can be Patient On the Rapira razor delivery I still have DE razors I have yet to shave with.

Polishaver check your in box/ private messages
I work nights and usually sleep days hopefully I’ll get it mailed soon.

Going in box

Old style Gillette no date code serial#
Ever ready 1924?
Dollar tree razor (novelty)

Extras (some fillers for the larger box)

Arko stick
Rapira lux blades
Voskhod blades
Home made menthol oil
Gem Carbon blades
Home made pre/post shave oil

Arko included because it’s Arko, my hope is those that want to use/ try, cut a chunk off to sample and continue to pass it along. I’ve tried the stick technique but prefer to press a chunk into bottom of bowl or mug load brush that way.

blades... curious to hear about shaves with same razors with same blade, different users and general opinion on these

The oil. I’ve been experimenting with making my own shave oils. But this one is a bit of an anomaly. I was trying to find a menthol but the premade mint oils had very little cooling to them. This is strictly menthol crystals and oil and was and was experiment to find right level of heat and cooling.. First try was not enough cool. This second run was much stronger but was too hot for some of my friends faces, while some said the didn’t get that cooling factor used as a pre/post shave oil. Then I experimented by adding a few drops to Arko and Williams before lathering and VIOLA’ !!! Menthol Arko, Menthol Cella .... Menthol any soap you add it too with very nice warm menthol and icy cooling feel.

The actual pre/ post shave oil has some high end oils with lavender and vetiver essential oils. The nose is a love or hate. Some of the base oils are often seen in high end cosmetics, including some exotic nut oils, it’s an amazing skin conditioner. Use at you own risk. They are both works in progress.

Gem blades I’ve only used one the carbon gem blades in pack from Walgreens once before switching to the coated ones . There appears to be some residue on blades from mfgr, it wipes off. I ended up preferring the coated ones .

The box has grown so it’s going into a medium USPS flat rate box. The shipping rate is only a few cents more than last shipped. And hopefully if my idea works out will be reusable packaging.

Last edited:
Very generous, Biglo.

And LOL, the box gets more expensive to ship with each new stop! With all the generous brothers, before long we'll be shipping one of these.
Container_01_KMJ.jpg

Polishaver check your in box/ private messages
I work nights and usually sleep days hopefully I’ll get it mailed soon.

Going in box

Old style Gillette no date code serial#
Ever ready 1924?
Dollar tree razor (novelty)

Extras (some fillers for the larger box)

Arko stick
Rapira lux blades
Voskhod blades
Home made menthol oil
Gem Carbon blades
Home made pre/post shave oil

Arko included because it’s Arko, my hope is those that want to use/ try, cut a chunk off to sample and continue to pass it along. I’ve tried the stick technique but prefer to press a chunk into bottom of bowl or mug load brush that way.

blades... curious to hear about shaves with same razors with same blade, different users and general opinion on these

The oil. I’ve been experimenting with making my own shave oils. But this one is a bit of an anomaly. I was trying to find a menthol but the premade mint oils had very little cooling to them. This is strictly menthol crystals and oil and was and was experiment to find right level of heat and cooling.. First try was not enough cool. This second run was much stronger but was too hot for some of my friends faces, while some said the didn’t get that cooling factor used as a pre/post shave oil. Then I experimented by adding a few drops to Arko and Williams before lathering and VIOLA’ !!! Menthol Arko, Menthol Cella .... Menthol any soap you add it too with very nice warm menthol and icy cooling feel.

The actual pre/ post shave oil has some high end oils with lavender and vetiver essential oils. The nose is a love or hate. Some of the base oils are often seen in high end cosmetics, including some exotic nut oils, it’s an amazing skin conditioner. Use at you own risk. They are both works in progress.

Gem blades I’ve only used one the carbon gem blades in pack from Walgreens once before switching to the coated ones . There appears to be some residue on blades from mfgr, it wipes off. I ended up preferring the coated ones .

The box has grown so it’s going into a medium USPS flat rate box. The shipping rate is only a few cents more than last shipped. And hopefully if my idea works out will be reusable packaging.

If I can pry a bit, what oils did you use for the menthol? I’d like to know before I try it if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next in line:

Solidsnake03 is out

polishaver Is up. PM me as soon as possible

Feynmansbongos (check your messages)
MyOldKentuckyHome
spolct
BBS-1

Let me know if this is not the latest

Last edited:
I can't add my name to the list as I only have two straight razors and that's it. I couldnt add a razor back.

I too prefer a straight razor shave....
I have 20 + Double edge/ single edge razors in rotation, I try to get a partial shave in every now and then with them, when traveling or in a rush.

I learned much, and enjoyed my turn with box, wish my facial grew faster....

if you ever get a donor razor feel free to add yourself
(careful the rabbit hole is slippery)

Yea. I do want to get safety razor and use that as well. Just going to have to wait till I get my medical problems fixed and get working again. I have been saving and this weekend going to be buying a very nice restored red imp 700c strop. I cant wait for that. There is also a dubl duck strop that is in good condition needs to be lightly sanded and canvas cleaned that I am getting for dirt cheap. After that I have to make what I have last and work. Once I hit 50 days I am going to try to trade for soap bowel brush or any of those so I have usable stuff.

In Box:
Autostrop VB1
Schick Krona
Gillette Super Speed W1
Gillette Super Speed Z2
Feather Popular
Star 1912
GEM MMOC
GEM G-Bar
Shick Injector Type G1
Maggard MR5 handle with V2, V3, V3A, Slant heads
Gillette Fat Handle Gold Tech
Clix Bakelite
Maggard handle
Rapira Platinum Lux
Razorine

took:
WCS razor
razorock german 37 slant head only

added:
old style gilette
dollar tree TTO
ever ready 1924?

extras:
(i added a few more)
rapira lux blades
lord platinum blades
astra sp blades
vokshod blades
carbon gem blades
supermax blades (previously in box)
menthol oil
lavender, vetiver pre/post oil
zote soap
old spice shave cream (india)
jack black cream samples

donor razors and razors tested sanitized with scrubbing bubbles

Ships to Polishaver in the AM in USPS priority medium flat rate box

package is at the post office! (life really got in the way recently)

Did a quick and hasty last minute shave this past weekend, and was surprised again. Usually mild and close are not in same sentence, but the feather popular even with feather blade proved otherwise. I think some of the success goes to the feather blade, feather handle combination. it was Extremely! mild, I purposefully used sloppy technique, rushed shave, pushed the limits on pressure and angle. it felt much milder than a super speed, so mild I would suggest it as a beginner razor. In spite of the hasty shave technique, and mildness I was very surprised to get a close and comfortable shave. This razor has also made the acquisition list.

package is at the post office! (life really got in the way recently)

Did a quick and hasty last minute shave this past weekend, and was surprised again. Usually mild and close are not in same sentence, but the feather popular even with feather blade proved otherwise. I think some of the success goes to the feather blade, feather handle combination. it was Extremely! mild, I purposefully used sloppy technique, rushed shave, pushed the limits on pressure and angle. it felt much milder than a super speed, so mild I would suggest it as a beginner razor. In spite of the hasty shave technique, and mildness I was very surprised to get a close and comfortable shave. This razor has also made the acquisition list.

I totally agree with your “beginner razor” assessment of the feather. This is the razor I’m going to recommend to all recruits going forward.

One of these days once I get a de razor I am going to have to jump in on this. Yet again I see how amazing this community is.

Top Bottom