What's new

PIF: Take a razor, add a razor

Yes. I'll offer some thoughts on how it could proceed, but I think much can be left to the discretion of whoever receives the box.

The winner is @Odenihy! Please PM me with your address.

Tomorrow is shaping up busier than I expected, so I'll look to get the box out on Monday.

Here are the other 10 participants as it stands, in order of response.

Darkknight79
ED3054
Mickey889
Howler
86-foxtrot
Billski
Clay S
Jtshaves
DeathKnell
jruschme
I leave it up to those who follow me as to how they'd like to pass the box along. It could be in order of response or it could be random (as I just did it). As Clay S suggested, a little extra insurance for the package would be wise ($100 should do it, up from the $50 that comes with priority mail). No need to add any other stuff beyond the razor that you'll be swapping in. In my case, that's a Maggard Open Comb head V1.

More joiners remain welcome!

I received the box yesterday. There are a few razors I would like to try, so I will keep the box for a few days (a week max), and send it on it’s way.

As for order of the box, I’m just going to use the list above:

Darkknight79
ED3054
Mickey889
Howler
86-foxtrot
Billski
Clay S
Jtshaves
DeathKnell
Jruschme

So that means @Darkknight79, you are up next. Please PM me your address so I can get the box out to you when I’m finished with it.

If anyone else would like to be in the list, PM me, and I would be happy to add you.

Darkknight79 has dropped out, So the box will be going out to @ED3054 today. I snagged one of the Old Types, and have added a Pre-War Fat Handle Tech (the box is a little heavy on Super Speeds, so I wanted to add some variety).

Additionally, I’ve done some research on the razors while I have had them, and here is a detailed list of what is now in the box (from left to right in the picture):

1. Razorock Teck II

2. Van Der Haagen Tradition

3. Gillette Flair Tip Super Speed (Z2 date code - 2nd Quarter of 1954)

4. Gillette Super Speed (W1 date code - 1st quarter of 1951)

5. Gillette Black Handle Super Speed (F2 date code - 2nd quarter of 1960)

6. Gillette Thin Cap Old Type (No date code, Thin Caps produced from 1906-1920)(Canadian)

7. Gillette Pre-War Fat-Handle Tech (No date code, triangle slot tech produced from 1939-1946)

8. Maggard Open Comb Head v1

And, finally, a picture of the contents of the box:

38430E4D-CA4C-4400-8319-063E0A9F5D43.jpeg

I hope everyone on the list has as much fun trying and swapping razors! The razor I picked was a Thick Cap Old Type, producer from 1921 to 1929, so it’s getting close to 100 years old. It’s a smooth, mild shaver, which is exactly what I like.

As an added note. I cleaned most of the razors up with dish soap so I could read date codes, and I sanitizer any razor that I used. Please do the same.

quite a collection to choose from! Out of that group, I'd have to say the 51 Super Speed would be my favorite, although I've never used the Razorock Tech.

You really brought your A game to the research, @Odenihy.

Nice photo too. Way to elevate the whole effort.
It looks like the photo got reversed as it uploaded. The razors match the names from right to left.

Your work with cleaning the razors was even more above and beyond. But that's B&B for you.

Top Bottom