What's new

PIF: Take a razor, add a razor

Parallax - up at bat
'Bout Time
Biglo13
SolidSnake13
polishaver
Feynmansbongos

Here's the latest list. (Love the name Feynmansbongos. I assume everyone knows who Richard Feynman was. A brilliant man, Nobel laureate and total character.)

Also want to post a link to another thread, a new one that reviews the razor I'll be adding to the box. The Rapira got rave reviews on this site a while back, from guys who like really aggressive razors. So I was excited to get one. Personally, I found it disappointing. But since others have spoken highly of it, I think it's a perfect razor to add to the box. Especially since most of the current content are mild shavers.

Rapira Platinum Lux Razor: First Shave Review

Thanks for the updated list! Feynman has always been one of my heroes so once I can up with that username it stuck, it also helps that it’s pretty much always available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I gave the Schick a second whirl on the left side of my face and ran the Canadian Old on the right. Regardless of angle, I didn't get a good shave with the Schick. The thing is too light and it's nowhere near the extreme aggressive razors I prefer. Was hoping better for the Old and it was, a bit. Like most vintage razors, it's very light. I prefer some heft. Was more aggressive than the Schick but it was not Ikon Tech territory. Not even close.

Could see myself potentially taking nothing from the box as, unless something changes, I can't see myself actually using that Canadian Old. Would wind up sitting in a cabinet with the rest of my unused vintage models. Either way, will add something. Right now I'm leaning toward the Raspira because some guys really like it plus it would blow everything else away in terms of aggression.

There's always the Auto Strop too, if it's worth the effort to you to get a blade in the thing. It will take a modified Gem. If you like blade feel, it delivers that in spades. When three fourths of the blade is exposed, you don't forget for even a second that you're running a blade on your face.

There's always the Auto Strop too, if it's worth the effort to you to get a blade in the thing. It will take a modified Gem. If you like blade feel, it delivers that in spades. When three fourths of the blade is exposed, you don't forget for even a second that you're running a blade on your face.
Thanks. Just for the heck of it, I'm gonna play with some of the others first. The one's I've never tried. Not the Superspeeds or the GEMs. Perhaps something will surprise me. Last, I'll study up on the Auto Strop and how to modify blades. I've a ton of PTFEs that I hardly ever use because I'm not crazy about the MMOC. It's alright but it pales next to the Ikon Tech and the CGL3. I don't own a Wolfman but the WR1 .94 a shave brother let me borrow for a while was very similar to the CGL3 and another great razor. Those three are, for me, in a class by themselves. The ATT H1 and H2 are good too, albeit a notch down on my list. The 2011 R41 doesn't quite work for me and the 2013 less so. The Fatip with the V1 head seems poorly designed but the V2 is better. Still, not exactly my cup of tea. I have a Le Coq caged head which is pretty cool. Wonder how the Auto Strop would fit in.

I would, but I haven't gotten my first razor in the mail yet. Perhaps someday when I have a collection starting and I have some to swap it would be awesome. Unfortunately, not in.

Thanks. Just for the heck of it, I'm gonna play with some of the others first. The one's I've never tried. Not the Superspeeds or the GEMs. Perhaps something will surprise me. Last, I'll study up on the Auto Strop and how to modify blades. I've a ton of PTFEs that I hardly ever use because I'm not crazy about the MMOC. It's alright but it pales next to the Ikon Tech and the CGL3. I don't own a Wolfman but the WR1 .94 a shave brother let me borrow for a while was very similar to the CGL3 and another great razor. Those three are, for me, in a class by themselves. The ATT H1 and H2 are good too, albeit a notch down on my list. The 2011 R41 doesn't quite work for me and the 2013 less so. The Fatip with the V1 head seems poorly designed but the V2 is better. Still, not exactly my cup of tea. I have a Le Coq caged head which is pretty cool. Wonder how the Auto Strop would fit in.

There's not much to fitting a Gem blade into the Auto Strop. Someone on Youtube shows how it's done. If you have vise grips, pliers, and a diagonal cutter, you're good to go. But if I wanted to make a habit of using such a thing I'd likely just get a supply of Feather FHS-10s and be done with it. They're not *that* expensive.

It might be worth trying the MMOC in the box. It's an older one without the bumps in the blade bed that raise the blade a bit. Some say they're more aggressive than the later versions with the bumps.

I thought the Old Type was pretty light too. That bothered me. It was actually my first time shaving with a pre-war Gillette 3-piece so I don't know if they're all like that but that head really could have done with a solid handle.

There's not much to fitting a Gem blade into the Auto Strop. Someone on Youtube shows how it's done. If you have vise grips, pliers, and a diagonal cutter, you're good to go. But if I wanted to make a habit of using such a thing I'd likely just get a supply of Feather FHS-10s and be done with it. They're not *that* expensive.

It might be worth trying the MMOC in the box. It's an older one without the bumps in the blade bed that raise the blade a bit. Some say they're more aggressive than the later versions with the bumps.

I thought the Old Type was pretty light too. That bothered me. It was actually my first time shaving with a pre-war Gillette 3-piece so I don't know if they're all like that but that head really could have done with a solid handle.
Thanks for the suggestions. Might also try the Old Type with a modern handle. Perhaps a Bulldog or OSS. Because of your suggestion will definitely try the MMOC.

Visiting my dad. I turned him on to DE shaving some years ago and, as mentioned elsewhere, he's the one who told me about shower shaving. Thought he was insane until I tried it and it worked. Haven't gone back. He, however, has slipped back to cartridge shaving. I'm encouraging him to try some of these razors during the visit. If he likes one, I'll forego taking one for myself.

I would, but I haven't gotten my first razor in the mail yet. Perhaps someday when I have a collection starting and I have some to swap it would be awesome. Unfortunately, not in.
You're exactly the kind of guy who should be on the list. Talk about the chance to try out a bunch of razors. Given that it will take time to get to the top, you'll have time to try razors and surely find one you're willing to trade. There are reasonably well made Chinese razors on AliExpress that can be had for almost nothing. Even a fully brass razor that sells for $15.

Here's a thread that talks about some of the best deals:
Best cheap modern DE razor

Also, explore antique stores. Great place to pick up vintage razors, at a fair price assuming one is discerning.

Ran the Gillette Goodwill this morning over two days beard growth. Enjoyed the experience of the shave. Though I don't typically enjoy light-weight razors, that thing has a certain "It" quality that's hard to explain. That said, it wasn't nearly efficient enough. Ran an Astra. Managed to get a good shave but it took quite a bit of effort.

Perhaps I'm simply spoiled by super aggressive razors. How can anything vintage or not all that expensive compete in that category against my CGL3 or my Ikon Tech? Those two razors glide effortlessly across my face and give me a great shave with little effort. Just a basic three-pass shave.

I find the Tech is best with several days beard growth; otherwise, it can feel a touch harsh. The CGL3 was awesome on one day's beard. Haven't yet had the chance to try it on three or four.

My dad ran one of the mild razors and was not impressed. Have him lined up to go with the Old Type in two days (he shaves every three).

You're exactly the kind of guy who should be on the list. Talk about the chance to try out a bunch of razors. Given that it will take time to get to the top, you'll have time to try razors and surely find one you're willing to trade. There are reasonably well made Chinese razors on AliExpress that can be had for almost nothing. Even a fully brass razor that sells for $15.

Here's a thread that talks about some of the best deals:
Best cheap modern DE razor

Also, explore antique stores. Great place to pick up vintage razors, at a fair price assuming one is discerning.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want to swap in a cheap razor for one I like and diminish the next person's choices. Once I have a technique down and have a few razors to pick from I'll definitely join in if it's still going ;)

Yeah, but I wouldn't want to swap in a cheap razor for one I like and diminish the next person's choices. Once I have a technique down and have a few razors to pick from I'll definitely join in if it's still going ;)

There's nothing irreplaceably expensive in the box. Much of what's in there could be had by a patient eBay buyer for under $15, and nobody is going to quibble about a couple of dollars either way. Besides, there's no way to know what someone else down the line is going to want. There's not necessarily more value to a razor that costs more.

There's nothing irreplaceably expensive in the box. Much of what's in there could be had by a patient eBay buyer for under $15, and nobody is going to quibble about a couple of dollars either way. Besides, there's no way to know what someone else down the line is going to want. There's not necessarily more value to a razor that costs more.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

Also I don't think there is any rule against throwing cartridge razors in the box. There is already DE, SE and Injector razors in there. If I had a cheap straight like a Gold Dollar I might have thrown that in the box to add to the variety.

So this morning, I shaved with the Feather? No, not the AS-D2. The 800-1B (Popular) in the box.

Why did I, a guy who likes super aggressive razors, try the Popular? Because I'd never tried one and wanted to maintain an open mind. Unfortunately, I can't recall a time I found a shave less effective. Try as I might, I couldn't get close to where I like to be.

It wasn't horrible. Strangers on the bus would not stare at me funny. But there was a good bit of stubble, particularly on my neck which no amount of effort could overcome.

For me, this is unusual. I can generally get a decent shave with most any razor. What varies is the effort required. With the Ikon Tech, the effort goes into keeping my touch light. With a Gillette Tech, definite pressure (together with significant touching up) is required. In the end, the Ikon result will be better but not enormously so. The cheapie Feather was another matter entirely.

Perhaps others get better results. I hope so because, otherwise, I'm not sure why anyone would choose this razor over a mild Gillette -- ever.

So this morning, I shaved with the Feather? No, not the AS-D2. The 800-1B (Popular) in the box.

Why did I, a guy who likes super aggressive razors, try the Popular? Because I'd never tried one and wanted to maintain an open mind. Unfortunately, I can't recall a time I found a shave less effective. Try as I might, I couldn't get close to where I like to be.

It wasn't horrible. Strangers on the bus would not stare at me funny. But there was a good bit of stubble, particularly on my neck which no amount of effort could overcome.

For me, this is unusual. I can generally get a decent shave with most any razor. What varies is the effort required. With the Ikon Tech, the effort goes into keeping my touch light. With a Gillette Tech, definite pressure (together with significant touching up) is required. In the end, the Ikon result will be better but not enormously so. The cheapie Feather was another matter entirely.

Perhaps others get better results. I hope so because, otherwise, I'm not sure why anyone would choose this razor over a mild Gillette -- ever.

I agree that Popular is a terrible razor. The only time I got a something that might be characterized as a passable shave with one is when I used it with a Feather blade. It is almost like Feather designed the razor to not work with anything except their blades.

As far as that 160 goes did you load the blade symmetrically or asymmetrically? It is a bit more aggressive when loaded asymmetrically and you use the side with more blade exposure.

You made me chuckle. I was the one who donated that particular Popular. I could not get a decent shave out of it to save my life.

You made me chuckle. I was the one who donated that particular Popular. I could not get a decent shave out of it to save my life.

If it’s still in the box when it gets to me I’ll give it a go for comparison. I have very soft facial hair and sensitive skin so I’m a mild razor connoisseur of sorts haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom