What's new

PIF: Straight Razor Starter Kit

I am NOT in, but I wanted to say this is very generous and is a good PIF. We need to entice more over to the dark side, so they can pass on the gentlemanly art and entice other uses as well, so that Straight razor shaving will take over the world, so that the price of vintage straight razors will spike (after I get everything I want) and I can retire off of razors... or at least pretend that I could knowing that I wouldn't sell any.

I’m in — not sure if I’m a rank newbie as I have two straight razor shaves on two vintage razors I’ve restored, honed on lapping film and stropped on a vintage Bresduck linen/leather strop that I restored. I probably have more money in restoration products and lapping film than the strop and three razors (I picked up a Wade and Butcher that needs scales, so I guess I’ll be learning to “peen” as well). A Kamisori is intriguing as I don’t own any new gear.

Tally time! The PIF closed last night at midnight Pacific, so one entry was too late.

There are 22 eligible entries. Let's see what the random number generator has to say. Drum roll...

And the winner is... #43. @carluchi the PIF is yours! Please PM me with your mailing address, and also tell me whether you want the soap and brush. May your weepers be few, and your BBS shaves be plentiful.

Sorry for the delay folks.

I received the package Herrenberg sent Saturday and everything is in excellent shape!

IMG_20210801_125058150.jpg

I spent most of the weekend reading up on techniques, watching others demonstrate the process and just trying to get a game plan together.

My plan was to start small and just do my cheeks and skip the upper lip and neck for the first few so I can get a little more confidence in my process before I attempt those areas since I have some whacky growth patterns there.

On game day, I decided to use a soap that always gives me excellent performance and would be easy to get a wetter lather as that was the recommendation from some of my reading - Arko (stop the giggling :001_tongu ..)

I gathered my supplies and got a good lather going and since I'm left handed, decide to try the left cheek first as that felt more comfortable. I plan to use both hands which is something new for me but again, using both hands was another recommendation from others.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous but brought the razor up to the side burn and angled it to about 30 degrees and took a short stroke down (stop giggling) and ..... nothing. Nothing was getting cut (I had a 3 days growth). Hrmmm, that's odd I thought.

So, I started again but made the angle a little steeper and started to get some whiskers to slice off. From there it was a bunch of short choppy strokes (most Marine's should have heard this phrase before but substitute 'steps' for 'strokes') and the end result for the left side was ... ahh ... Ok. I still had a lot of growth present but at least I didn't have ribbons of blood everywhere!

Now onto the right side. This was very awkward for me because I'm left handed so it took a few minutes to get the angle down however, the results weren't as good as the left side which I chalk up as normal all things considering. I found that I was always making the angle too shallow which caused tugging so I had to constantly keep readjusting. Again,I think all part of the process.

I finished the shave with my Red tip and was happy to have not sliced my face to ribbons on the first try. It's odd because this whole process brought me back to what I felt like when I decided to ditch the carts and try a DE shave the first time.

In fact, that first time was exactly like this (left side first, only the checks and finish with the cart). However, it took so long to do one side, the lather actually dried out and I had to reapply it multiple times ... lol so at least I have made some progress!

Again I want to thank @Herrenberg for his generosity!

I will continue my journey in the General Straight Razor talk forum if you want to continue to follow it. Next up is understanding stropping and attempt #2 on the checks!

Top Bottom