What's new

PIF - Starter Razor & Strop to Someone Who Wants to Try Straight Razor Shaving

I'm a fairly new straight razor shaver and have been using a Gold Dollar & Whipped Dog starter strop to build my skills.

I've really enjoyed it and have since acquired a few more razors that have been well honed thanks to doc226 and a small collection of strops, so I'd like to let my starter kit go to someone who's interested in trying out Straights. The razor is a Gold Dollar 66 that came shave ready to me from a seller who makes strops and restores razors and I've freshened up the edge a few times on pasted balsa so it should be good to go for a beginner. The Whipped Dog strop is a nice starter strop to learn on, and it's not the end of the world if you nick it (so far I haven't yet).

I'll pick someone randomly a week from today from those who are interested.

Last edited:
Thats a great PIF. Someone will really enjoy that. I just started straight razor shaving less than a month ago and absolutely love it. Got my two razors and strop and am loving it. I cant wait to get my health better get working so I can buy so much more.

Fantastic PIF. I am not in, since I have been using straight razors for a few months now.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

This is a great PIF! I've been thinking about going to a straight for the last couple months.
I am most definitely in!

@Smedley5 this is a great thing you are doing to help a lucky person out. I havent been on here long but I found a lot of info here before joining and saw things like this fairly often. The people here are very kind and just great people. I fully applaud you for your generosity.

Out of curiosity do the gd razors require a lot of work to make them shave ready. Most major companies that sell them shave ready say they have done a bunch to make it shave ready.

Reset bevel, progression hone/polish edge and strop. Nothing more than you would do with any other razor.

I dont know if they perform additional work on the scales, or regrind the shoulder.

Last edited:
I know they say they rework the shoulder. I will have to look into one so I can practice honing a blade. Definitely dont want to try and learn on my ERN. Lol. I bet if I did try to learn on my ERN I would be banned and people would find my adress and come beat the crap out of me. Lol

I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one. I've been interested for some time, just haven't found the money to splurge on the necessary gear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom