What's new

PIF: Rolls Razor(s)

These razors are surprisingly inexpensive on the popular auction site. I was looking into them to pick up an extra blade to experiment with sharpening. I thought they would cost a lot more given the quality of which they're made, but I saw several around the $20 range for the whole setup. Lots of "buy it now" ones as well.

Just make sure you have the tools necessary and the knowledge of how to sharpen it before you buy it or it'll be useless to you.

I'm in!

I've never shaved with a single edge but I have about 97 single edge blades that I bought to use in a box cutter about 10 years ago that have been sitting. Would love to try it out.

I'm in!

I've never shaved with a single edge but I have about 97 single edge blades that I bought to use in a box cutter about 10 years ago that have been sitting. Would love to try it out.

Unless the blades you bought are intended for shaving I wouldn't use then in a razor. The ones you find at Home Depot or the local hardware store I wouldn't shave with as they won't be kind to you. There are different qualities of straight blades, some are meant to shave and some are not. There may be others but a GEM razor would take that type of blade.

Also please do take a closer look at this thread and you'll notice a couple things. First off being that this razor doesn't take blades. It is sharpened on stones like a straight razor. Second would be that the PIF was completed and winners chosen about a month ago. There are reviews from the winners as well as lots of congratulatory messages. There were also some requirements related to having experience with straight razors and the ability to sharpen them.

On any PIF's since the original poster is kind enough to give away something of value and incur the cost of shipping it please do take the time to read the original post and follow the requirements. It's helpful to make sure that it's not already complete before entering as well.

Good luck.

If you're interested in what to look for when stalking a Rolls in the wilds, I put a post onmy blog at echo4golf.com.

If you're interested in what to look for when stalking a Rolls in the wilds, I put a post onmy blog at echo4golf.com.

Thanks! I'm actually going to start looking on ebay to try to get a decent one. Your blog is very helpful for someone like me who doesn't know anything about them yet.

Just picked up a mint Rolls on the auction site. Doing research to gain knowledge in properly sharpening it. Thank you to all whom contributed to this thread.

Top Bottom