What's new

PIF - Pre de Provence Shaving Soap

So, after a week's worth of shaves (4 head shaves, 3 neck shaves) I have decided that this is a great performing soap. Scent isn't really good or bad, and it's very light. I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance though. Generally speaking, my favorite soaps have all had tallow, lanolin, or clay, or some combination of the 3. Most of the vegan, glycerin, oil, or butter based soaps I've tried have either lacked protection, lacked slickness, or felt overly dry or overly oily post shave. This soap does not.

It lathers great for such a hard soap. I was expecting MWF level of loading. It loaded and lathered much easier. Probably no more difficult than my softer artisan soaps. The water ratio wasn't too picky, it provided plenty of protection, and still had good residual slickness for buffing. Post shave feel was almost perfect. Not drying the way I've found many of the harder soaps, and not oily or greasy the way I've found many of the soaps with oils or butters. PdP left my face feeling nice and soft without any of that oiliness.

My only knock on the soap (and it's really a nitpick) is the scent. Like I said above, it's not bad, it's just not something I'd ever get excited about. The scent strength is also very low, and I prefer a strong scent that lingers after the shave. This would be a great soap for those days when you want something lighter, or something that won't interfere with your aftershave or cologne. I've already added some PdP No. 63 to my Amazon wishlist...

For those that have been considering this one, go pick it up. It's low priced, great value, and it's a great soap. If you prefer something with stronger scents, maybe consider the 63 version. Thanks again to Charles [MENTION=112108]Komboloi[/MENTION] for this awesome PIF.

So, after a week's worth of shaves (4 head shaves, 3 neck shaves) I have decided that this is a great performing soap. Scent isn't really good or bad, and it's very light. I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance though. Generally speaking, my favorite soaps have all had tallow, lanolin, or clay, or some combination of the 3. Most of the vegan, glycerin, oil, or butter based soaps I've tried have either lacked protection, lacked slickness, or felt overly dry or overly oily post shave. This soap does not.

It lathers great for such a hard soap. I was expecting MWF level of loading. It loaded and lathered much easier. Probably no more difficult than my softer artisan soaps. The water ratio wasn't too picky, it provided plenty of protection, and still had good residual slickness for buffing. Post shave feel was almost perfect. Not drying the way I've found many of the harder soaps, and not oily or greasy the way I've found many of the soaps with oils or butters. PdP left my face feeling nice and soft without any of that oiliness.

My only knock on the soap (and it's really a nitpick) is the scent. Like I said above, it's not bad, it's just not something I'd ever get excited about. The scent strength is also very low, and I prefer a strong scent that lingers after the shave. This would be a great soap for those days when you want something lighter, or something that won't interfere with your aftershave or cologne. I've already added some PdP No. 63 to my Amazon wishlist...

For those that have been considering this one, go pick it up. It's low priced, great value, and it's a great soap. If you prefer something with stronger scents, maybe consider the 63 version. Thanks again to Charles @Komboloi for this awesome PIF.

thats great that you enjoyed it. I too have always been baffled by how easy it is to lather being such a hard soap. I really dig the sage herbal scent

Top Bottom