What's new

GIVEAWAY! PIF No.2 for Those Who Are Serious About Getting Into Straight Razor Shaving - Not CONUS or Canada

proxy.php

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Only 7 days to go.

@hugosf is close. He just needs to do a little more work to get his balsa strop correct and post his entry with his B&B name and date.

If not claimed by 30 June, it will be awarded to the first eligible entry posted.

After this PIF, I will offer another free shave-ready SR.

He just needs to do a little more work to get his balsa strop correct and post his entry with his B&B name and date.
I’ve been trying to source the acrylic substrate. I don’t know why acrylic always be so expensive in my country. I asked to several sellers on the local bay and have receive so many NO’s 😅. Reminds me my younger times in the night clubs🤩

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You don't need acrylic for a balsa strop substrate. You can use a piece of ceramic floor tile with lightweight timber or PVC foam glued to the underside to bring the substrate thickness up to about 25mm or a more. Then just glue your balsa strop to the topside of the floor tile, lap the balsa strop surface flat, apply your paste and you are good to go.

I say, @hugosf for the PIF.

The Gentleman has shown curiousity, persistance and a good degree of dedication in persuit of the requirements stipulated.

All essential but basic qualities necessary for taking up the art of SR shaving, from my limited observations.

The Gentleman's attitude puts him in a good place as a lifetime SR user.

With expert guidance, I expect a new SR devotee will soon be joining the community.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I say, @hugosf for the PIF.

The Gentleman has shown curiousity, persistance and a good degree of dedication in persuit of the requirements stipulated.

All essential but basic qualities necessary for taking up the art of SR shaving, from my limited observations.

The Gentleman's attitude puts him in a good place as a lifetime SR user.

With expert guidance, I expect a new SR devotee will soon be joining the community.
I agree but without suitable gear to maintain the edge, the SR will soon put him off SR shaving.

@Seelector, who won the last SR, basically ruined the edge within a week or two due his poor n00bie technique. He was able to get it back into shape with his diamond pasted balsa.

I am not willing to outlay almost $100 on a PIF to someone who will most likely fail without suitable supporting gear.

Perhaps someone would be willing to PIF some balsa strops to @hugosf.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to source the acrylic substrate. I don’t know why acrylic always be so expensive in my country. I asked to several sellers on the local bay and have receive so many NO’s 😅. Reminds me my younger times in the night clubs🤩

Hugo, I made my balsa strops by glueing them to some rectangular kitchen tiles. They work great. And they were really easy to source locally.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have never been able to locally (or elsewhere at a reasonable price) source thick acrylic. All my balsa strops are made with ceramic floor tile and lightweight timber or PVC foam under the balsa.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have never been able to locally (or elsewhere at a reasonable price) source thick acrylic. All my balsa strops are made with my balsa glued to ceramic floor tile and lightweight timber or PVC foam glued the underside of the tile.
Amended, just to clarify.

Generous PIF from @rbscebu

Thanks to the wonderful attitude of members like you on this forum, the SR shaving entry bar is lowered by practical real world solutions and tips to obtain and maintain a straight razor - especially outside CONUS.

After your thread on the newer lot of Titans having minimal shoulder, I have two en route to me. A PIF just up for grabs by anyone on the fence !

All the best to everyone who are in the PIF !

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
38.5 hours to go. After that, if not claimed, this PIF will be open to the first entry meeting the requirements.

Top Bottom