What's new

PIF: New Piper's Privilege

New Piper PIF June 2014

I've only got the one corncob pipe, right now. Would love to try a 'real' pipe.

thank you for consideration.​

A quick update - I had to do some quick shopping for some supplies. I've sanitized and buffed out the stems on all three of these guys (the shopping was because I ran out of tripoli), reamed 'em out smooth, and done a salt-and-alcohol treatment on the bowls. Picked up shipping boxes today. Will look to get them to the PO either Saturday or Monday. I've got addresses from everybody, so we're good to go. Thanks everyone for your patience. I'll PM tracking numbers once I've got shipping labels printed.

Thank you for the update. And we should be thanking you as was said previously!

And finally, we have a prime example that demonstrates price is not always an indicator of quality, or lack thereof. This is a no-name Canadian with a striated acrylic bit and a surprisingly nice cross-grain. It was originally unfinished, and has darkened to its current walnut hue over the years. I am really sad to let this one go - it's a fantastic smoker, attractive, and a great bargain. This is a pipe that says "I smoke pipes, not collect them".

proxy.php

proxy.php

"a prime example that demonstrates price is not always an indicator of quality, or lack thereof" describes my preference and most things that I own. That makes this one perfect for me.

When I received it, my wife was on a prescription that made smoke disgusting to her so I was not smoking. She's off of it now and tonight I finally get to smoke again. I dried and loaded some Balkan Sterling. This bowl is bigger than I'm used to, and I hadn't dried enough. That's ok, I loaded ~65% of capacity. I'm going to need to make a filter that fits this pipe, or get better at smoking filterless, as I got a few bits of tobacco in my mouth. Wanting to avoid ash, when it started acting like it didn't want to smoke anymore I didn't continue trying to re-light. Sure enough there was plenty of unburned tobacco. I'll get better with practice.

Anyway, while I was smoking it, it smoked very nicely. I like to lip-clench, letting a pipe kinda dangle rather than clenching in my teeth straight out, and this one works great for that. I was afraid it was too long and heavy but it's not. The smoke was cool and flavorful.

Thank you so much, Rob!

You're welcome!

BTW - if you're consistently getting shreds of tobacco through the stem when you draw on a pipe, my hunch is that you're packing too loosely. It would also explain why you're getting a lot of moisture and unburnt tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. The pack needs to be tight enough so that the bowl burns evenly.

You're welcome!

BTW - if you're consistently getting shreds of tobacco through the stem when you draw on a pipe, my hunch is that you're packing too loosely. It would also explain why you're getting a lot of moisture and unburnt tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. The pack needs to be tight enough so that the bowl burns evenly.

I find this true. I've been packing less and loser lately and have found I'm getting a much nicer experience for it except for the ash in the stem and in my mouth. It's definitely increased since packing less in the bowl.

Ok, so tonight I've packed some Sterling Richmond. I had to guess how tight a cigarette would be. Not a single piece in my mouth, good behavior, plenty of flavor. Nice.

Ok, so tonight I've packed some Sterling Richmond. I had to guess how tight a cigarette would be. Not a single piece in my mouth, good behavior, plenty of flavor. Nice.

I'm so happy for you Caveman. See, estates aren't that bad :)

I always try to put the biggest piece of tobacco at the bottom to act as a filter/blockade against the smaller pieces/flecks that usually get put on top. That is a beautiful pipe. Love Canadians and that pipe has some wonderful birdseye. Once again, congrats!

So Canadian is a type/shape? I thought that was its manufacturing origin.

I too try to put the largest piece at the bottom. Anyway, packing it tighter tonight really helped. I still ended up with quite a bit unburned when it wouldn't light anymore but not as bad as yesterday and I had a lot more in it to begin with and a longer smoke. I was able to use a slower cadence than usual...in fact I was required to. When I puffed like I usually have to with my looser loads it got pretty hot and I even got gurgle (for the first time ever) -- quickly cured with a pipe cleaner and slower cadence.

RobAtSGH, any special care instructions for this pipe?

So Canadian is a type/shape? I thought that was its manufacturing origin.

It's a pipe (typically) with a Billiard shape bowl and a long oval shank and tapered stem. The Lumberman is the same but with a saddle bit stem. That's such a nice pipe you go there Capn.

I'm smoking the Canadian again tonight. I got some gurgle, again. At least I think it's gurgle...some liquid pop sounds, so I stick a pipe cleaner in and it comes out wet and the popping is gone (until it comes back). Is that normal for this pipe, or am I smoking too fast?

I loaded it pretty tight (by my standards) and it's staying lit pretty decently (by my standards).

Moisture is usually a sign of smoking too fast. The goal should be a steady series of "sips" and not heavy pulls. How long does a full bowl normally last for you?

Top Bottom