What's new

PIF (maybe) - 17 tucks of Derby Extra blades

Hey, guys. When I first started shaving with a DE razor, not knowing anything about sample packs, this forum, different blades, or really anything, I read an article about best blades for newbies and ended up purchasing a 100 pack of Derby Extras. Well, I tried a blade, thought it was awful, but chalked it up to my inexperience and kept on torturing myself through another few blades. Then I just had to stop with that nonsense. I eventually found out about blade samplers and over the last couple of years, I have learned so much more about technique, blades, creams, soaps, etc. Well, recently I thought to myself that maybe my impressions were wrong because of my lack of technique and I'd give the Derby Extras another go. Ugh. Bad idea. I've just come to the conclusion that they aren't for me. And rather than keep space in my bathroom closet for them, I'd rather pass them on to someone else who will actually use them.

I know that there are people on these forums who find these blades perfectly in line with other blades and can use them satisfactorily. I am not one of those. Now over the last couple of years, I have opened one tuck and passed two more along when PIFing a razor along (with a warning that they weren't the right blade for me, but that maybe that person would enjoy them). So I've got 17 tucks left, and this will just be first come first serve to whoever wants them. If you want them, reply here, and we'll get the details via DM so that I can pass them along next week.

BTW, I said "PIF (mabye)" in the title because I just don't enjoy these blades so maybe it's not about paying it forward as much as I am just sick of these sitting in my closet! 😀

IMG_3995.jpeg

Respectfully not in! Lots of people really seem to like those blades so someone will be very happy to get them. Very generous of you to offer them up :)

Just to be clear, I'd rather send all 17 tucks on at once. I've got some DM's going with @TomShelby, but he's in Canada. We're trying to figure out if it's cost effective to send it to Canada from the US. I should have specified US only.

If that falls through, I'll repost on here that they're still available or I'll send them to the GBE.

OK. These 17 tucks are still up for grabs. If anybody wants them all, let me know. As I said, I'd rather pass them all on at once rather than piecemeal. Thanks.

@mikhou , Generous PIF, respectfully not in, I've plenty of these already.

All my Derby blades were acquired around 3 years ago and are post 2016 production that work well for me delivering 3-6 good shaves per blade. They are an interesting blade that often smooths out after 2-3 uses to deliver even more shaves. I had one outlier that went for over 20 shaves. After 2016 Derby changed its production methods to use thinner steel (.1mm to .09mm) and produce somewhat sharper blades per the posts of many B&Bers. Many other B&Bers enjoy these newer Derby blades.

You may want to confirm for folks when these blades were acquired. If they are post 2016 production then it's more likely that your experience with Derby is a case of YMMV making this a great PIF for someone who wants to use them.

P.S. A new box of 100 runs around $7-$8 on on Amazon so the cost of postage of the full box could be more than a free Prime delivery of new blades. You may find it more economical to send smaller numbers of 10-15 loose blades, taped to a card, for the price of a 58 cent first class stamp to multiple PIF recipients. See the link below to an old post on safely and cheaply mailing razor blades. I recently did something similar with a half-ounce hard shaving soap sample to a fellow B&Ber that worked really well. Weigh out the loose blades, in just the wax paper wrappers, to figure out how many you can send in an envelope on one stamp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom