What's new

GIVEAWAY! PIF: Markham (Burham) razor

I have a Markham razor I don't use and I'd like to give it to someone who could maybe get some use out of it. I've only seen this razor stamped as a 'Burham'; this is the only one I've seen that says 'Markham' on it. I had posted here several years ago ( Markham razor? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/markham-razor.486191/#post-9104806 ) but couldn't really find much info. There is no blade and/or box, just the razor. The handle is a little bit loose in the head, but nothing bad. The only thing I'd ask is that if you find you've lost interest in the razor, please send it on to someone else and don't throw it away. I'd guess this may be 100+ years old (the patent stamped on it is July 6, 1909) and I'd hate for it to wind up in the trash.

First one to respond (post in the thread) gets it. I'll cover the shipping. Sorry, I don't feel like dealing with international shipping so I'll have to limit it to people in the U.S.

Thanks for looking!

Jim

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Very generous -- I have both this model and the open comb version of Burham (so obviously, I'm not in). For the lucky winner, let me assure you that you have 3 blade options for using this razor.
  1. For those who like A LOT of blade feel, a fair amount of efficiency and the aggressiveness of a razor-blade-on-a-stick, you can use an unmodified GEM blade (you just slide it in sideways and Bob's your uncle).

2. For those who prefer an ultra-mild shave, just remove the metal spine from the GEM and slide the spineless blade into shave. This will put the blade's edge pretty far back, but still close enough to get a decent shave.

3. For those who prefer the "Goldilocks" shave, then I'd remove the spine and trim a little bit off the end of the Gem blade with some tin snips, then reinstall the metal spine. It could be trial and error, but you'll definitely get there, and the resulting shave could well be worth it.
Personally, I'm in camp #1 -- leave the GEM blade "as is", slide it in and just go with a light and careful touch. I love both my Burhams and I'm always surprised at how well this simple (yet elegant) razor works. Good luck to all of the participants, and thanks to the generous person PIF'ing this razor.

Jim,

I'm always up to try something new. Since no one else has shown an interest in it, I'd like to try it out now that @Flintstone65 has told us a current blade to feed it.

Rest assured that if I tire of it, I'll find another good home for it. It will NOT get binned.

Thank you.

I snuck in a couple of shaves with this gem this past weekend in between shaves for the Shaving for the Stars PIF.

@Flintstone65 was dead-on with his description. Using a stock carbon steel GEM blade, the result was close to BBS, but it felt harsh and the alum lit me up. I haven't had a chance to try a re-spined GEM in there yet.

@Flintstone65, how much did you trim off the back side of the blade before you re-spined it?

Flintstone65

I snuck in a couple of shaves with this gem this past weekend in between shaves for the Shaving for the Stars PIF.

@Flintstone65 was dead-on with his description. Using a stock carbon steel GEM blade, the result was close to BBS, but it felt harsh and the alum lit me up. I haven't had a chance to try a re-spined GEM in there yet.

@Flintstone65, how much did you trim off the back side of the blade before you re-spined it?
Actually, I just removed the spine and used it "as is". It may be a touch too mild, but it's still long enough to cut. As to trimming, I would consider using a dremel, rather than aviation snips (or other metal cutters). I'm thinking one of those grinding coarse grinding wheels/stones will bring it down by a "hair" or so, and that may be enough to make it comfortable and efficient. But I'd definitely start with de-spining it and see how it shaves for you.

Actually, I just removed the spine and used it "as is". It may be a touch too mild, but it's still long enough to cut. As to trimming, I would consider using a dremel, rather than aviation snips (or other metal cutters). I'm thinking one of those grinding coarse grinding wheels/stones will bring it down by a "hair" or so, and that may be enough to make it comfortable and efficient. But I'd definitely start with de-spining it and see how it shaves for you.

I tried de-spining it. It was much milder that way. I like mild razors, but this was too mild even for me.

I gave some thought to what I've read about Gem blade modifications, and after a bit of cogitation the bulb finally lit up.
1646077736611.png

I had the Goldilocks blade close at hand - several versions, in fact, both vintage and modern!

The Japanese have blade for everything!

1646078136624.png
1646078335216.png

The end result was a DFS shave, not quite as close as I usually get with a DE but almost.

Flintstone65

I tried de-spining it. It was much milder that way. I like mild razors, but this was too mild even for me.

I gave some thought to what I've read about Gem blade modifications, and after a bit of cogitation the bulb finally lit up.
View attachment 1417317

I had the Goldilocks blade close at hand - several versions, in fact, both vintage and modern!

The Japanese have blade for everything!

The end result was a DFS shave, not quite as close as I usually get with a DE but almost.
Brilliant!!! I hadn't thought of that -- I will give it a try as well!

Top Bottom