What's new

PIF-ish: a straight you can try for $10CAD, plus a couple vintages (incl. a nice 13/16 Clauss) and shavettes

Was wetshaving with the same Merkur for years before I tried a straight razor and I really wish I did sooner, it's very satisfying and much less harrowing than I expected -- I lost more blood learning to use a DE. Turns out that it's actually quite intuitive and the way it forces you to pay attention to what you're doing not only makes for a better shave but takes your mind off everything else. If you haven't tried it yet I really encourage you to give it a go.

Prices include untracked shipping in Canada, add $2CAD for the US and add $5CAD for the rest of the world. Shipping is inexpensive in a bubble envelope with the razors protected by cardboard and is at your risk. I've happily bought straights this way from all over but if you want to pay for tracking and insurance I can facilitate that. I'll accept PayPal (in Canadian dollars because otherwise I'll just spend it on more razors) but prefer Interac EMT or cryptocurrency.

I like honing but not hurrying. If there's no rush, I'd likely be glad to rehone one of these if you cover return shipping.

-------

Challenge 11/16 $32CAD (~23USD/21EUR)
This is a quality vintage razor that has unfortunately seen a heavy hand -- the spine is much more worn than the edge as you can see in the images with the heavy hone wear despite the blade not yet being worn into the shoulder. Luckily, this can be corrected with tape so after measuring the spine I added three(!) layers of tape and it takes a fine edge. It's a square point but quite rounded off so would be appropriate to learn with.

-------

Clauss 13/16 $84CAD (~61USD/55EUR)
I like this size, a larger blade with some heft yet still nimble enough that you don't have to compensate for it. Quite happy with the edge I put on this, after bevel set I went BBW -> Coticule -> Thuringian for a sharp yet very smooth result. Should be forgiving and wouldn't be a completely unreasonable place to start with straights (though the recommendation is usually max 6/8 this is only 1/16 more) and would be an excellent second for someone moving up from 5/8. Especially since it'll be easy to learn to refresh the edge on a finishing hone as it's in such good condition you don't need to account for any issues.

Unlike the other, this has very little wear. It does have a bit of staining/very light pitting on the blade but that is NOT a euphemism for "I polished this forever and gave up with a bit left" like is often the case when people say that on certain auction sites. I do think it would come out quite readily but that'd remove the grind marks and I'm afraid if I polish it up I'll get attached to it. I can attest that it definitely doesn't in any way encroach on the edge as I've inspected it with a loupe while honing. I think the tang/shank might be nickel plated as they're a subtly different colour.

-------

PIF-ish $10CAD (~7USD/6.5EUR) - A serviceable Zy 130 straight razor carefully honed
There's a catch: if you don't use it for more than a month, send it back and I'll make the offer again. Don't let it rust. The edge is fragile, respect it even though it wasn't expensive. Otherwise, learn at your own pace. You'll need to sort out a way to strop it, but I've heard it can be done servicably with newsprint in a pinch (has anyone tried that long term to corroborate?).

If you're hesitant this is a good way to experimentally try a shaving a bit of hair off your arm, maybe a cheek. Dip your toe in it. Loads of resources online to help you get situated. It's very worth it, quite satisfying, meditative even.

-------
Weck Hair Shaper $15CAD (~11USD/10EUR)
Weck Sextoblade $28CAD (~20USD/18EUR)

I haven't tried these shavettes because I have way too many straights I like too much. They should be much more similar to a straight razor than a shavette that uses a DE because they take a longer, thicker blade which seems to be widely available, Amazon even.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am very tempted, partly because you accept crypto. Unfortunately I have 11 SRs now and another 10 on order. I cannot, at present, justify to myself to get even more.

Lovely razors and good prices.

Ha! Zy is under $7USD at this point and I'd have made it free but wanted to give it to someone who is genuinely interested in giving straights a try and would be likely hold up their end of things and pass it along if it's not for them. Ya, I'm not going to spend the extra time photographing it, but I'll describe it a bit more: it's a 6/8+ Chinese razor with a shoulderless half hollow grind and a heavy spine. I thinned the spine to improve the angle a bit and probably put a year's wear on my diamond plate in the process. There is some spotting of neutralised rust because I lent it to someone careless but it's fully refurbished and has a nice JNAT edge. It's not pretty but it's a very capable blade and with no geometry issues would be a good one to learn to hone on and I fully encourage you to do that.

---

I'll lower the 13/16 Clauss to 80CAD (which at this point is only ~$55USD) and it really is in excellent condition, I don't see a lot of blades this size anywhere near this price with so little hone wear, a very straight edge with even bevels, etc.

---

I think I'll leave the Challenge at 32CAD (~$22USD) because it's a nice blade for that price. Not really a big deal to put some tape on it and it's definitely got some life left in it. Gave it a try recently and one that that was apparent is that it's an unusually thin grind--held it up beside a Gem SE blade and the (very slight) belly is barely as thick as it, thinning out to either side though not quite so thin as a DE. So if you're curious to try an EXTRA hollow...

Zy sold.

International shipping price update: +5CAD for US and +8CAD for Europe/maybe a bit more elsewhere. It turns out that while small items can be sent as oversized/non-standard letters domestically it only worked by fluke when I was able to send that way to the US and another attempt

Top Bottom