What's new

PIF: Introduction to Vintage

Not in. I've found that a super speed does very well with Astra SP. Whoever the winner turns out to be will get a tuck of astra sp if they PM me.

Everyone chose the correct date of 1954. And everyone went with a Super Speed. So that brings us to whether it's a 1940's style TV Special or a Flare Tip. Here is our subject razor:
$Comparison3.jpg

And here is a 1954 TV Special (This one is dated Z4):
$Comparison2.jpg

Side by side:
$Comparison1.jpg

Notice how our subject razor on the right flares out on the bottom? That means we're dealing with a 1954 Flare Tip Super Speed and not the 1940's style TV Special.

Now that the history lesson is out of the way here's our winner: goodfella92.

But wait, there's more. GVBender was the first person to answer with the correct response. So for that I'm going to send him this non-dated 1940's style Super Speed:

$Comparison4.jpg

Congratulations to goodfella92 and GVBender! For everyone else I encourage you to keep an eye out for vintage razors and try one out. You just might get the vintage bug.

Thank you so much for this generous PIF. I'm just getting into DE shaving and this is gonna make a great addition to my starter kit, which I actually just got this morning as a present from my GF. Thanks again Joe!

Thanks for the participation everyone and congratulations to goodfella92! Most generous of you to offer a runner up razor Joe. Really looking forward to the vintage experience. I just finished serving up a Christmas dinner of prime rib and Yorkshire pudding to a houseful of family and friends and was thrilled to see the results of this PIF. Merry Christmas to all!

Hey there folks! I finally got to use the 40s Style Super Speed. I had a house full of guests and family for Christmas, so I finally got some time to myself to try this thing out. Loaded it up with a Personna kindly provided by Joe and decided to use Arko with my Omega boar and Proraso Aftershave. These are consistent performers for me, so I figured if anything went unexpectedly it was probably razor related. Here's the setup...

proxy.php

My first impression was how weighty this razor was for it's size. Also noticeable is just hard darn good this thing looks for being over 60 years old! My wife and mother got a kick out of it remembering that their grandfathers used such things (the whole TTO bit) and commented how they learned to shave their legs with razors like this. For size comparison, I photographed it next to my Mühle R106 and you can see how much smaller it is.

proxy.php

So how did it shave? Well, let's put it this way. I've never used a Personna blade and I've only been DE shaving for a few months so I have plenty of practice to do yet, but my impression was that it was very mild. Of course I still experienced the usual irritation I get on my neck. I think I experienced even MORE irritation on my neck because I could hardly feel the blade on this thing and kept going at my neck as if I wasn't getting all the hairs off. I'm still trying to get the whole pressure thing right. With my Jagger and Mühle I tend to go easier because I can feel the blade. Perhaps I was pressing too hard because it felt so mild. In a nutshell, my cheeks were very smooth and my neck was chewed. Even nicked myself behind the left ear, which was a first for me.

Long story short, I have a Jagger de87 and a Mühle R106. They are both the same razor so this is all I have known. I'm a noob and inexperienced and the Super Speed is a very different razor, but I really like it. For starters, it has history and a build quality that stands on its own. I really want to practice with it and learn it and it will stay in my collection (such as it is) permanently. If for no other reason than because it was my first vintage. I'll keep practicing and trying various blades with it.

I would like to thank Joe for the PIF and for introducing me to the world of vintage. As if I wasn't already constantly looking for new gear, now I'll be scouring B/S/T threads and God forbid... the flea bay.

Happy New Year to all.

Last edited:
Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went. Go luck on furthering your vintage collection!

Top Bottom