What's new

PIF: Introduction to Vintage

Congratulations to the two winners: goodfella92 and GVBender!

Have you wanted to try out the world of vintage double edge but didn't know where to start? Are you ready to spend all your free time (and money) searching on Ebay and at antique shops for your next fix? Well here's your gateway drug:
$PIF1.jpg$PIF2.jpg$PIF3.jpg$PIF4.jpg

Here's what you have to do:

1. Not own a vintage Gillette. If you own a modern razor, or no DE at all, that's fine. The whole point of this PIF is to introduce someone to vintage razors.
  2. Go to the shavewiki http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information and look up what razor this is and when it was made. In case you can't make it out from the picture, the date code is Z3.
  3. Post "I'm in" and what model and year this razor falls under. Even if 30 people before you have already posted the answer, to be eligible you must still look up and post this razor's identification. This is for your own good by teaching you how to identify a vintage razor. And yes, the shaving gods will know if you merely copy the answer from the post above yours. Don't feel bad if you misidentify the razor (we all have done it). This is a learning exercise and credit is given for effort, not accuracy.

On Christmas night, or the next morning depending on how much eggnog I have, I'll use random.org to select the winning post number (assuming that poster followed the rules above). If they didn't follow the rules I'll go down the list of random numbers until a winner is found. The winner will receive the razor and the five Personna Labs pictured above.

There is no CONUS restriction. I have never shipped anything outside of the U.S., so if you're OCONUS then I may need your help in teaching me what I'll need to do to ship the package to you. But I'll still cover the cost of shipping.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Last edited:
Not in, I've already gone to the vintage side but this will be a fantastic razor for some lucky member. Very generous PIF Joe :thumbup:

I don't have a vintage. All those Old Types, News, Techs, Travel Techs, Valets, Gems, and Super Speeds in my den are just a figment of your imagination....

:001_tt2:

Great PIF!

I'm in. 1954 flare tip super speed? Had to do some looking beyond the wiki. Don't know much about the vintage stuff. I only have a Jagger de87.

Last edited:
I'm in...
I think this is a 1954 40's style Super Speed TV Special if I read the wiki correctly!
I don't have a vintage, but have been looking recently....
Thanks for the opportunity.

Oohs and aahs! Nice PIF. Not in. I know what this splendid Gillette is because I have several! Great razor, good luck to everyone!

I'm in! I still only have one razor and have been wanting to try a vintage.
If I read the wiki correctly it's a 1954 40's Style Super Speed TV Special. The 3 in Z3 would denote third quarter of the year, July, August, or September, correct?
Awesome idea for a PIF, thank you.

No Gillette razors here, or vintage razors for that matter. I'm in - would love to put this up against the modern razors I'm starting to become really fond of.

1954 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed (TTO, ~57g)

I don't have a vintage. All those Old Types, News, Techs, Travel Techs, Valets, Gems, and Super Speeds in my den are just a figment of your imagination....

:001_tt2:

Great PIF!

:lol: I don't have any vintage razors either. Well, I wish I didn't, so I could jump on this one. Nice PIF.

Top Bottom