What's new

PIF - Introduction to Straight Razor Shaving

YAY!!! Thanks everybody. And thank you, Tomo, of course!

I have been looking at putting together a starter kit for months and always gave up.

I'm going to pick... the box marked A.
Good choice. The best shaving brushes come in red boxes. This one has a slight crack in the handle that I stabilised with super glue. Otherwise a fully functioning Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian.

9136C0CB-F7BB-4773-B0DE-F9E08A0EB5CF.jpeg

As for the favourite soap sample, Mikes Naturals of course. Well one of many favorites but I did have a spare sample from Shavedash. This one got promoted fairly quickly to the buy list. If anyone is looking for samples Shavedash is a great resource. Of course Italy has no shortage of fantastic soaps and creams. Enjoy!

0A74EBA5-EC3F-442E-BB94-34472E760D65.jpeg

Excuse me while I go pick up my jaw.
There is a lot of stuff in the kit that will be useful if you choose to pick up additional razors in the future like the lapping films, acrylic and balsa progressions.

To start with the only things you need are

1. The shave ready razor
2. Leather hanging strop
3. Pre-prepared 0.1 um balsa strop

After a couple months you can refresh the balsa strop by sanding down a fresh and flat surface with sandpaper on the glass plate and reapplying the diamond paste. There should be enough 0.1 um paste for about four applications.

As a shavette user the actual shaving should come fairly naturally. Full details of The Method honing system are set out by @Slash McCoy in the newbie compendium. It’s an easy way to learn and get super sharp edges straight out of the gate. Quite forgiving with exact instructions.

Have a good read of the instructions and feel free to ask any questions. There’s lots of help on the forum.

The main point I would stress with honing is to always make sure that the spine is the first and last thing to leave the hone or strop. Always ensure that the spine is in contact with the hone before placing or lifting the edge. It’s pretty easy but if you’re sloppy about it you will quickly kill the edge. You want to be very deliberate in this. The good news is that you have everything you need to bring the edge back if required.

For stropping same thing. Place the spine on the strop. As you start to move forward rotate the blade to bring the edge down to the strop. As you get to the end of the stroke, rotate the razor to lift the edge off the strop while still moving and come to rest with the spine on the strop. Pause for a moment and come back. I have not nicked a strop yet but I am a rarity in this regard. If you follow those instructions I do not see how it’s possible to nick strop.

There are lots of You Tube videos on stropping. Just remember it isn’t a race. Faster isn’t better. You can practice the motion with a butter knife on an old belt. After a few hundred laps you start to get the feel for it.

For the first shave I encourage you to just use the razor. It’s all sterlized, sharpened, stropped and ready to go. Please be careful when handling it. It’s bloody sharp. Have a go at a hanging hair test and tree topping test to set a benchmark for future comparison.

The blade has been treated with Renaissance wax and has a light coating of mineral oil on the edge. Keep it dry between shaves and it should be sweet.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on with it.

Top Bottom