What's new

PIF - Introduction to Straight Razor Shaving

It’s been one year since I started my straight razor journey. It took a bit of practice but I finally found my perfect shave with the SR. Had it not been for the information and support of the forum it’s unlikely that I would have taken the plunge.

I’ve put together this PIF as a thank you to the forum. It also pays forward the generous Gold Dollar PIF that I received from @Slash McCoy earlier in the year. The PIF contains everything you need to learn straight razor shaving and maintain a shave ready razor indefinitely.

Included in the kit:

1. A shave ready Gold Dollar 66. This razor is no beauty queen but it’s a great shaver. I’ve taken it down to a 17.3 degree bevel angle and applied a full Method Edge. It shaves as well as any razor in my collection.
2. A beginner leather hanging strop endorsed by @rbscebu
3. A fully prepared 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strop
4. Spare diamond pastes in 0.5, 0.25 and 0.1 um grits
5. A starter set of Aluminium Oxide lapping film sheets in all grits
6. An acrylic block
7. A 10mm piece of plate glass, with non-slip underlay, to fit a full sheet of sandpaper
8. A mystery brush of your choosing
9. A sample of my favourite soap. I consider this soap a must try for every traditional wet shaver.

The PIF is open to all established B&B members with a genuine interest try straight razor shaving. To enter please express your interest by replying “I’m in” and telling us your location, current set up and why you want to try SR shaving. I hope that this PIF will encourage someone else to take up the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving.

Full instructions on how to use the kit are provided in the newbie compendium.

The winner will be chosen New Years Day.

D1AE517B-4F44-4C73-8015-307ABE22774F.jpeg
A9DE57D5-1AF7-4C1F-9EE8-9996ABB448CA.jpeg
516F0334-0173-41C5-888C-B90A8538AD64.jpeg

Last edited:
That's very generous of you and will be of great benefit to the one that wins. I already have a bunch of stuff, so I an NOT in. But thanks for making this a great community!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A very kind and generous offer. Unfortunately I'm not in as I don't like your choice of shaving soap 😂.

I am so interested in this incredible PIF, but as a straight razor shaver, I am not in. This is a great package for anyone who is looking to take the leep. You will not look back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great generous PIF, I am sure it will be appreciated and going to a good home. Would have loved a setup like this when I started up, but too late for me. I have already spent a lot of money making my own mistakes and developing my own bad habits.
Curious about the soap though....

It’s been one year since I started my straight razor journey. It took a bit of practice but I finally found my perfect shave with the SR. Had it not been for the information and support of the forum it’s unlikely that I would have taken the plunge.

I’ve put together this PIF as a thank you to the forum. It also pays forward the generous Gold Dollar PIF that I received from @Slash McCoy earlier in the year. The PIF contains everything you need to learn straight razor shaving and maintain a shave ready razor indefinitely.

Included in the kit:

1. A shave ready Gold Dollar 66. This razor is no beauty queen but it’s a great shaver. I’ve taken it down to a 17.3 degree bevel angle and applied a full Method Edge. It shaves as well as any razor in my collection.
6. An acrylic block
7. A 10mm piece of plate glass, with non-slip underlay, to fit a full sheet of sandpaper
9. A sample of my favourite soap. I consider this soap a must try for every traditional wet shaver.

The PIF is open to all established B&B members with a genuine interest try straight razor shaving. To enter please express your interest by replying “I’m in” and telling us your location, current set up and why you want to try SR shaving. I hope that this PIF will encourage someone else to take up the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving.

View attachment 1201221View attachment 1201222View attachment 1201223
How did you narrow the spine to improve the angle? I need to do the same on my 66 and p81

Included in the kit:

6. An acrylic block

View attachment 1201221View attachment 1201222View attachment 1201223

helluva PIF @Tomo !!!!!

not in, but good luck to all that throw their hat in on this!!!

camo

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Wow @Tomo ! That is a mighty generous PIF. I am in, please. I have been wanting to learn to shave with a straight razor, but the start up keeps moving on down the road. Anyhow, thanks for the opportunity! Someone will enjoy it I am certain.
:straight:

What model strop is that?
This is a Titan Razor strop from Ali Express. The cowhide is thin soft and supple. It has a denim secondary. A little small at inches but does the job. On the short side at 12” but does the job.

Wow, nice and very thoughtful PIF! I'm in, though I have no idea how to use all this properly, I'd like to learn. My current setup is DE shaving with Fatip OCs, Gillette Tech pre-war model and German 37 slant. My location is Virginia, USA and my reason for trying straight razor shaving is that I've been curious about it for the last several years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom