What's new

PIF Giveaway Game (Round 6) - I miss Christmas!

Oh boy! Pack any yummy cheeze curds in there? Being a transplant MidWest boy I miss some of that yummy stuff that is not so good for you.

Oh boy! Pack any yummy cheeze curds in there? Being a transplant MidWest boy I miss some of that yummy stuff that is not so good for you.

As man! My first encounter with cheese curds was glorious! We went to Oceola cheese shop south of Kansas city. Its an Amish operation, I believe. Oh man... we got a two pound bag of cheese curds. Some kind of basil whatzit. My father in law ate about 1/4 pound. I ate the rest... that night.

Sorry to bust your bubbles, but no cheese curds. I did think about it for a while. Wasn't sure how well they would hold up on the flight out there. Anyone here had them so fresh they were still warm and squeaky? I've gotten them fresh from the creamery where they haven't even been bagged up yet. They are so soft and warm, they melt right in your mouth. Still salty from the brine too. I love 'em.

Ya'll eat some odd stuff in other parts of the country! It's crazy how much I hear about 'round here that I've never even heard of or would consider good eats being a California guy. I can't think of anything that we have out here that you'd have to be a CA person to appreciate....... Except maybe In N' Out, but thats not that special honestly. Or maybe BBQ Tri Tip... thats freaking heaven right there and apparently not popular elsewhere...... I dunno...

Matt, Paul, you guys think of anything?

In n' out is awesome. Every time I fly to Vegas, that's the first stop I make from the airport.
I had never heard of tri tip until I lived in CA. But having BBQ in Kansas City, I never understood the big deal.

Maybe beinf able to hit up In N Out whenever has taken away some of its appeal. As far as BBQ, it's true I haven't had some of the greats around the country. If tri tip is done right, never cooked more than medium, and especially if its the original Santa Maria style, it really is great. Beats an expensive steak every time!

Maybe mine wasn't made right. It was Santa Maria Tri Tip as I lived in nearby Lompoc. I didn't think it was good, even not comparing it to other BBQs.

California has regional food aplenty, though I personally feel the best part is having so much high quality stuff readily available and locally produced. Some places have produce, some have livestock, some have cheese or wine. But we've got it all.

Specifically - Gioia burrata from El Monte. Best stuff I've had outside Italy. Santa Barbara spot prawns and urchin. None better. Huy Fong sriracha sauce. Amazing.

That's totally true Matt! I grew up in the Central Valley, Fresno. My Pop worked for John Deere and had a good relationship with many of the farmers in the area. They gave him the best, freshest produce and meat you ever had. I miss that!

That's totally true Matt! I grew up in the Central Valley, Fresno. My Pop worked for John Deere and had a good relationship with many of the farmers in the area. They gave him the best, freshest produce and meat you ever had. I miss that!

I know what you mean, John. I grew up in northern Wisconsin on a dairy farm. We had all our own fresh produce and beef, and anything we didn't grow, we could usually get from neighbors. I really miss that. I don't miss getting up every morning and milking cows before going to school or doing chores at night every night after school, but I do miss the country and the good side of that life.

I can't think of anything that we have out here that you'd have to be a CA person to appreciate.......
Wow - CA had some of the best wines in the world! And, as far as American wines go, believe it or not, Michigan is #2 - much from the Leelanau Peninsula.

Wow - CA had some of the best wines in the world! And, as far as American wines go, believe it or not, Michigan is #2 - much from the Leelanau Peninsula.

Oh yea, Cap! The CA wines are pretty good. An advantage to where I live now, the Temecula Wine Country is nearby. I don't know how well known their wines are around the country, but its a great area full of beautiful wineries, great wine and food. And of course up north is Napa. I hear the Napa snobs kinda look down on our wines down here, but since I'm not a wine snob they're great if you ask me!

I don't know if I've ever had a wine from Michigan. I'll have to keep an eye out!

We've also got a pretty great craft brew scene down here also. Some of you may have heard of Stone Brewing Co and they're Arrogant Bastard Ale. Its good beer, but too much focus on IPA's and hoppy brews, which are my least favorite. There's a few others, like Port Brewing and the Lost Abbey which I've recently gotten a brief try of. Lost Abbey blew me away with a brew they called Ten Commandments which had major notes of raisin and spices. Amazing stuff!

OH NO!! I just checked the USPS web site. It looks like the box needs a signature. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to the PO today. OR, maybe I just need to fake an illness and leave work early :confused1

Some people had it delivered without a signature, even though someone paid for signature required. Hopefully, you'll find a nice package waiting for you at home.

Wow. So sorry, Devin. I am checking again, but I was sure I did not check the box for requiring a signature. I've had boxes for me go to the Post Office and wait for my signature and I know what a pain that is. I was sure I didn't check the box. I did go back in and put on $200 insurance, maybe when I did that, it checked the box to make sure it was signed for. I didn't want to risk the box going missing or getting damaged on the way out to you, so it was worth the extra $2. Maybe that caused the signature to be required.

Sorry again. I hope you can get it at lunch tomorrow.

I just checked my order on the USPS website and I don't see anywhere that it says Signature is required. I do see an option that I think you can go online and check the box to electronically authorize them to drop it off for you, however, if you can get there tomorrow, that would be quicker.

Sorry again, Devin. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Top Bottom