What's new

[PIF] Gem Micromatic Travel Across The U.S.

I have the razor!!

I got back late last night from being on the raod, and there was a box waiting for me. Didn't have time to take any pics, I will do that this evening, but I just wanted to update everyone. I am planning on giving it a test drive this evening!

I just found this thread and would like to be added to the list!

Two days ago I picked up a GEM Junior 1912 (for $3.00 at antique store!) and last night picked up some Treet Super blades from the drug store. My first SE shave was this morning and I was AMAZED. Since January I've been obsessing over DE razors and ignoring these seemingly obsolete SE's. My eyes have been opened and I'm really excited for my next shave! I'd love to try the Micromatic. What a great idea...

All right! We have another person to add to the list.

1. Rajun50 (Done)
2. Saliavin (Current)
3. Eastomjac
4. Fizgiggsr
5. Matthew86
6. AnakiMana

Looks like we are getting closer to ten. I was afraid we would be stuck at 5 forever. I should probably subscribe to this thread. :wink2:

View attachment 171877UPDATE!!

This thing is a stubble eater!:001_wub: I have shaved twice with it, not even a weeper. I really like it on my neck, two passes BBS on my neck. Wahoo!! Last night I gave it a run on my dome, and it didn't shine there. I have decided I like it so much on my face that I am going to go on the hunt this weekend for one. From what others have said I was expecting a loud shave. I didn't think it was any louder than my slim, but LOTH thinks I'm deaf anyway.

I have, I hope atteached a pic of the OCMM, with my den. The cheese crock has a piece of Cella in it.

Attachments

• $OCMM.jpg
    $OCMM.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 79
View attachment 171877UPDATE!!

This thing is a stubble eater!:001_wub: I have shaved twice with it, not even a weeper. I really like it on my neck, two passes BBS on my neck. Wahoo!! Last night I gave it a run on my dome, and it didn't shine there. I have decided I like it so much on my face that I am going to go on the hunt this weekend for one. From what others have said I was expecting a loud shave. I didn't think it was any louder than my slim, but LOTH thinks I'm deaf anyway.

I have, I hope atteached a pic of the OCMM, with my den. The cheese crock has a piece of Cella in it.

Excellent! Cannot wait to see if this thing can manage to get my neck 100% smooth. I get darn close, but my neck is never quite as smooth as my cheeks.

Just wondering if there was anything else you wanted to add about this razor system. How many shaves did you get from one blade? A description of your beard type will also help so that we can see how this holds up to all the different types. Also how have you been drying/storing/protecting the blades to make sure they don't rust. I found the last treet package in the store and the blades have some spots right out of the package.

All right! We have another person to add to the list.

1. Rajun50 (Done)
2. Saliavin (Current)
3. Eastomjac
4. Fizgiggsr
5. Matthew86
6. AnakiMana

Looks like we are getting closer to ten. I was afraid we would be stuck at 5 forever. I should probably subscribe to this thread. :wink2:

I think that I may have accidentally disqualified myself for this PIF, since I am a now a proud owner of a OCMM by accident. Bidding on items on Ebay on a whim tends to workout sometimes.

So, please leave me out of the rotation, but I will gladly comment on my experiences with my OCMM if you like.

Cheers!

Definitely post what you have experienced so far and tell us all about it. Might get some more people to get in here and try it.

Ok, so Fizgiggsr is out of the running. That takes us back down to five. How disappointing.

1. Rajun50 (Done)
2. Saliavin (Current)
3. Eastomjac
4. Matthew86
5. AnakiMana

So this is the current list. Enjoy!

just got back from a fishing trip and found out the razor is on it's way to me,i'll post as soon as it gets here and keep you current,sure would of been good to test it out on a 3 day old fishing trip stubble,but we'll see how it does on my normal beard

I would sure like to try it out. I enjoy the rest of my Gems & Ever-Readys & have always wondered about this one and the clog-proof.

:w00t:guess what came in the mail today....i was pleasantly suprised when the mail lady handed me a box,couldnt remember ordering anything,then upon opening the box VOILA a nice silver gem ocmm and a box of blades.gotta go shave now(glad its my day off,i have'nt shaved yet today)but heres an arrival pic,more to come post shave:laugh:pss the brush is an ever-ready 200t w/a tgn silvertip 20mm knot the soap is classic's bay rum glycerin

Attachments

• $DSCN0507.jpg
    $DSCN0507.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. (I already have two open-comb Micromatics, so don't count me in.)

The MMOC is not only underrated, it's unfairly maligned and feared. Go slowly at first if you're not used to a more aggressive razor, but with a little practice, it really purrs.

I'll be interested to see how many MMOC converts are made as a result of this PIF. :thumbup1:

:thumbup:well,i have to admit seeing what all raving is about,that was a good 3 pass bbs on a 2day stubble shave,didnt amputate the mole on my kneck,no weepers no trouble with the hard wiskers under my chin,no razor burn on my lower lip,if im going to get burn its there,i of course don shave my upper lip due to wisker that have grown there since i got out of high school,overall the first shave was g r e a t.here are some more pics,
ready to go
then after first pass
then hung out to dry:thumbup:

Attachments

• $DSCN0509.jpg
    $DSCN0509.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 52
  • $DSCN0510.jpg
    $DSCN0510.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 51
  • $DSCN0511.jpg
    $DSCN0511.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. (I already have two open-comb Micromatics, so don't count me in.)

The MMOC is not only underrated, it's unfairly maligned and feared. Go slowly at first if you're not used to a more aggressive razor, but with a little practice, it really purrs.

I'll be interested to see how many MMOC converts are made as a result of this PIF. :thumbup1:

count me as 1 for sure,its agressive,but not as harsh as my old style gillettes,it works slightly different than a de but not in a bad way at all,hey mikey i think i like it:}

Last edited:
alright,shave #2;bbs i 2 passes(no extra stubble today),still no blood loss,no weepers,nicks and again did not amputate my kneck mole.brush is my restored c-40ever-ready w/a 20mm pure badger knot,soap is classic brand lilac :thumbup:
pics as follows,
ready to go
all lathered up
first pass
and hung out to dry,
wish i grew wiskers faster:}

Attachments

• $DSCN0514.jpg
    $DSCN0514.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 45
  • $DSCN0516.jpg
    $DSCN0516.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 45
  • $DSCN0517.jpg
    $DSCN0517.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 45
  • $DSCN0518.jpg
    $DSCN0518.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 45
I am sitting here minutes after the second SE shave I have ever had, both of them with an OCMM. I am astounded at the shave I just got. This is absolutely BBS. I am astounded about a couple of things:

1. No post shave irritation. I had become accustomed to 10-15 minutes of irritation after my DE shaves. No biggie, but it still happened. I have no irritation after this shave.

2. I can get a good BBS with my DE's but I have to work a little harder and I get some minor weepers at times. Again, no biggie. These disappear after my cold water rinse and post-shave balm, but with the OCMM I did not have a trace of blood.

3. The reputation of this razor as a fearsome beast is absolutely unwarranted. Unless my technique is just that good, I never felt like I was on the verge of doing myself damage. The things I had read scared me off of trying this thing. Now, it will likely be a go-to razor for me. Unbelievable shave!

Ok, we have another taker!

1. Rajun50 (Done)
2. Saliavin (Done)
3. Eastomjac (Current)
4. Matthew86
5. AnakiMana
6. Vaquer03

Also, I am glad to see all the pics from you eastmojac! Looks like you are having a really great time with the razor.

Top Bottom