What's new

PIF - 2 straight razors and a vegan strop

I came to B&B as I was learning to use a SR over a decade (and two cities) ago. Got great info and support back then. I'm now returning as I start my DEs adventures. SRs were not for me and I'm offering up a PIF for my barely used gear.

2 straight razors and a "seconds" quality vegan strop - all barely used and in need of a little care (a decade in a draw)

Just post that you are in, and I will pick a post on Sunday (28th) and DM the winner.
  • You must live in the Continental United States since I'll be covering ground shipping.
  • Post "I'm in!" and your favorite tip or recommendation for a DE newbie prior to midnight (PST) on Saturday, June 27th.

Respectfully not in but great pif!

My best newbie DE tip is a little out of the ordinary: don't jump right into brush and soap/cream if you weren't already using them.

Many new DE shavers make poor lather and don't know they are making a poor lather then blame the poor shave on the razor. Using whatever you used with carts (foam, gel, cremo, whatever) allows you to keep variables the same and focus on shaving technique.

I’m in!

My advice to a new wet shaver, take your time to get the right angle, when you get the audible feedback you’ll know you got it.

Second advice, know the direction of your hair growth, especially on your neck.

Very generous offer by the way

I came to B&B as I was learning to use a SR over a decade (and two cities) ago. Got great info and support back then. I'm now returning as I start my DEs adventures. SRs were not for me and I'm offering up a PIF for my barely used gear.

2 straight razors and a "seconds" quality vegan strop - all barely used and in need of a little care (a decade in a draw)

Just post that you are in, and I will pick a post on Sunday (28th) and DM the winner.
  • You must live in the Continental United States since I'll be covering ground shipping.
  • Post "I'm in!" and your favorite tip or recommendation for a DE newbie prior to midnight (PST) on Saturday, June 27th.

I'm in.

My newbie tip would be to soak your badger and boar brushes in warm water for 10 mins prior to use and to always let your brushes dry out completely prior to the next use.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I'm in, my advice for lather is, if in doubt, use more water. Slick and runny is better than thick and pasty!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I am in. I have never touched my face with a SR. I guess my advice to myself and others in my situation would be to lean heavily on the B&B forums. After all it did help make DE shaving immensely enjoyable.

I'm In. Not too sure that I am the best to give advice, but what the heck here it goes. (IMHO) Don't be in a big rush to blame the razor blade. If you think that an edge is giving you a hard time, take a good look at it. I know they are cheap and all. But that edge was made with precision. There is a good chance that it's not the blade's fault. I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for that. But it has helped me get way less skin irritation. Look for things like will it treetop hairs on your arm? Is it rusty? I have started to toss a blade and found out that it was not the blade's fault.
Let some of that knowledge that you gained from straights carry over to DE.
The lather is another big one. Give it time to soak in. A lot of shavers suds are to dry and shaved off too soon. Even a lower quality soap will work way better if you spend more time with it. Take the time to see how far your gear will go. I could keep going, but I think there are many members here that may disagree with me in some areas. (YMMV)

Definitely in. Best tip. I can give is to use a very wet lather
I could get away with a thick, creamy lather with DE shaving, but not with straights.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm in. Best tips is learn your technique and angles what works best for you steep, shallow, or somewhere in the middle with your particular blade/razor, it's probably best to start with a milder razor like gillette blue tip, feather and others for example unless making mistakes doesn't discourage you at all. Ride the cap if you like ATG passes. Learn new techniques once you feel comfortable DE shaving like blade buffing, j-hooks, and the gillette slide. If you like last one you might like slant DE razor/s. Get a blade sampler to find your favorite blades as well as soap samples which can make a very big difference in your shaves.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I’m in. My advice is to not have too much confidence with the DE razor.

It takes about 15 shaves to learn that thing.

Very nice PIF!
I'm not in but looking at those blades I suspect they need honing and i would be happy to hone them for the winner if they so wish at no cost.
Good luck to all!

I'm in, razor recommendation merkur 34c or a gillette superspeed flaretip for a first time begginer to a double edge safety razor. Also when using a double edge make sure to have a good slick but pertective lather and a fresh blade and keep a 30-35 degree angle let the weight of the razor do the work

I'm in.

Best tip I can think of for a new DE user is the importance of blade rigidity, particularly if you have swirls in your beard growth or if you have sensitive skin.

Unfortunately, it took me years to realize the importance of blade rigidity. I have swirls and sensitive skin on both sides of my Adams Apple and most razors skip and jump when I try to go over that area. It wasn't until I got a Ti Timeless that I realized how much of a difference it can make it regards to smoothness when the razor clamps down on the blade near the cutting edge.

Don't think you have to spend a lot of money for a smooth razor though. I've found that Timeless, Masamune, Karve, Fatip, and Gillette New razors all clamp down on the blade really well and give a smooth shave. I've heard good things about Rockwell also but haven't tried that razor yet. Point being, anyone can get a smooth shaving razor, from a Fatip Piccolo at $20 to a Timeless at well north of that figure.

For those that don't get good results with a DE razor there are the SE style razors that use an AC blade which provides even more rigidity, but that's another story.

Best of luck to the OP, hope you find a DE razor that suits your needs.

I'm in and my advice for someone new is to pick one razor, brush and soap and stick with them for at least 30 days, but longer is better. This will allow them to hone their skill with known entities. They can then start trying new things and will realize if something is not working out for them.

Top Bottom